Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: Dwarf: The Hammering, a play by post card game based on DF  (Read 20672 times)

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf: The Hammering, a play by post card game based on DF
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:57:07 pm »

Well, if anyone remembers me working on this monstrosity before, I've revamped it to a quality I feel is acceptable, and now I'm planning on doing some preliminary runs with the current rule set.  And so, without further ado, the rules:

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Those are just the, unfortunately long winded, game rules.  The actual process of acquiring cards is pretty simple.  You start with 50 points to spend on cards to fill your deck.  A 'booster pack' comes with 11 cards in it and costs 10 points.  A full starter deck, of which only two have been made so far, cost 40 points.  For each win you get 15 points, and for each loss you get 5 points.  Also, there can be multiple people playing a game of D:TH, so there will sometimes be multiple losers.

Whenever a player starts their turn, I'll generate a random number to determine which card they draw from their deck and PM them what they card they drew.  I'll keep track of what cards they have in their hand, and I suggest players do as well.

To sign up just post saying you would like to play and pick a deck, or choose a booster.  The booster contents are listed in text files formatted to make editing them easier for myself in Notepad++.
Booster 1: The First War 120 different cards.  A Booster pack gets you a randomly selected 11 cards.  Costs 10 game points.
Starter Deck 1: The Mountain Halls Contains 40 cards, though I doubt any worthwhile combos. Costs 40 game points.
Starter Deck 2: The Sylvan Retreat ''

Current Players:
CJ1145
Mr.Person
Nevyn
Org
DF newb
webadict
RAM
Frelock
RedWarrior0
Rooster
Errol
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 03:28:38 pm by Taritus »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf: The Hammering, a play by post card game based on DF
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:04:41 pm »

A rather unique idea. I'll give it a go. Probably aim for the Dwarf deck.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 09:24:01 pm »

I'll definitely be playing. Hehe.

EDIT: It still looks like there's some issues. Dwarf farmer = infinite food on that turn. Also, shouldn't that be "Dwarven farmer" instead of "Dwarf farmer"?

I have major issues with the event cards. Anybody who's played Yu-Gi-Oh! will know what I'm talking about. Specifically, they're all free. Although none of them seem particularly overpowered (except Eruption, which is broken as hell, ESPECIALLY if it's free and you you can play it turn 1. At that point, it might as well say "You win"). The events need resource costs.

The "Desert of Death" set is looking kinda bad, tbh. It's too linear. I find mentioning specific cards by name in a TCG pretty much always sucks. Just take my word for it, no matter how tempting it seems, you should change the set now while you still can. If you don't, unless you make the cards really good, most people won't even bother with the theme you've made. At the moment, it's actually looking kind of silly if you have a few Giant Desert Scopions in your deck. In fact, I have to say, I think a deck made with only the Desert of Death could be absolutly nuts.

Seriously, use tap and untap instead of the (X) and -(X) bullshit.

Actually, looking at it, I still don't understand why you're making a new TCG to be like Magic when you can just, you know, use Magic. The only major difference I've seen appears to be persistent resource storage and specific resource names. Although those 2 are flavourful, I don't think they're worth it. Between your odd templating, your terrible card balance, your mediocre set making skills, and the whole thing being unnessacary in the first place, I may wind up not playing much. Still, I might be looking at it badly and it should be fun in any case, so I will at least make a deck, but unless the starters are ridiculously good, I'll probably just grab boosters looking for soldiers, Spinning Blade Trap, and Elephant Matriach. Might also splash for a volcano if I get an Eruption or 2 via trading. Question, what's the max copies of a single card a player can use in a deck?

In any case, if you want, I'm willing to help you in whatever way you want in whatever way I can.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:32:07 pm by Mr.Person »
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 01:25:50 am »

Wow.  That was a bit harsh and all, but thanks for the criticism.

I could've swore I had added a (X) symbol to Dwarf Farmer's cost...  I'll work on that one, since it'd be even goofier if I'd just add the (X) symbol.

I'll probably keep my (X) and -(X) bullshit, sorry.

Wasn't thinking much when I tossed Eruption in there.  I'll may just end up rethinking the whole of the event card system anyways, as it does add that shitty Yugioh's get the rarest cards you can feel.

About the whole DoD set, it was a bit of an after thought and I may just scrap it, and start on a full second set.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 02:28:16 am »

Well, the (X) and -(X) may just be me. You may wanna ask other people about that one.

To be fair, it is hard to gauge power level of cards without playing with them. Most people thought Tarmagoyf was junk before Future Sight came out. Then a foil one started costing $50 with playsets going for over $100 with considerations of banning it in standard. I think Eruption might actually be fine since the Volcano you need to play it will kill you eventually, although that doesn't stop it from being a powerful finisher.

I forget, some of the constructions are non-creatures, right? It's important there are non-creature cards that can stick around and help you in various ways.

Hey, it's a work-in-progress. Like I said, actual playtesting should be fun and may prove me wrong on certain parts. In any case, it's ok if there are powerful cards in the set next to very weak ones, I just dislike it when there are common cards in the set that are worse than an equivalent rare in the set. Assume all decks will play maximum of rares. Do NOT assume the card pool is limited in size. It's not.

On the plus side, I don't see any grievously broken cards, although I do dislike how the human resource getters are worse than the dwarven equivalent. They should probably get a buff to their power at least to help even the playing field. Remember, you're gonna miss stuff like that. I'm gonna miss stuff like that. Playtesting should make stuff like that glaringly obvious.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 05:25:22 am »

I'll look into helping playtesting.... tomorrow. X_X

For now, tagged for replies.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 05:56:43 am »

Your GCS seems woefully underpowered. It's 5 times more expensive then a mountain goat for only +2/0 and it has the same ability except twice the cost. If i had 9 food, i'd rather spend it on 3 goats and have them all use their ability then take a single spider and have it use it's special once. I know the spider can use it an infinite number of times but really, when will you have 8+ food lying around and nothing better to do with it like using it on goats?

Human Assassin is dirt cheap, tough and can wreck a fortress in 4 turns for free. If you get lucky and  start with 3 of them and a Surprise Draft or two, you can play them all in turn 1 with your starting supplies, surprise draft one, use his special and use all 3 of them in your second turn. The only counter to this starting hand is getting hit by Eruption right away or other players spamming events to kill them with -1/-1 counters from DoD which seems to be the only purpose for it and is superseded by Desert Oasis in every other way. The second draft is just a failsafe if one of them gets killed.

Minor things:
Sword Filled Weapon Trap refers to untapping instead of -(X)
The wording on Giant Eagle is unclear. Can you kill somebody else's Carp with it or not?

I'll help with playtesting to iron out some bugs but i may be a bit slow because I'm not sure if my hotel has internet or if I need to wander around Paris until i find some wireless network to hijack.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 06:02:09 am »

I am up for a challenge...
I will join...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 01:26:07 pm »

Made lots of suggested changes:
  • I added resource costs to events and changed the costs on a good number of effects.  I also changed the costs for some creatures to be a bit higher.
  • Fixed wordings as often as I saw mistakes, I don't doubt that I missed some though.
  • I've scrapped the DoD set and I'm starting on a new set.
  • Eruption no longer causes the target to lose fortress strength.  Adamantine Discovery now requires that you kill 2 of your creatures to play it.
  • Attempted to remove the rarity-power trend to make commons and uncommons still viable cards with their own uses.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 07:16:48 pm »

Seems like a good idea
I'll Play-test...
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 08:14:24 pm »

in. 

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 09:11:06 pm »

This looks promising. I suppose I'll try.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 09:45:28 pm »

Can I request a Gobbo Deck looking something like this???

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 11:35:32 pm »

This seems very interesting.  I think I'll join in, with the elf deck and a booster pack (we do get 50 points, right?).
All generalizations are false....including this one.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 12:09:56 am »

I would like 5 boosters please.

What do the pluses and asterisks after the card names mean?

P.S.
 I have a thread for running games of this.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:14:02 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24