Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Impossible Mandate (aka someone is going to be getting hit in the head)  (Read 1136 times)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Today my Baron Consort make a Mandate for bismuth items. No big deal I figured; I don't have any bismuth on my area but I bought a bunch from the caravan last fall. I go to manager and can't find anything to be made with bismuth. Musing about how that's an interesting bug, I go to my forge to order it directly. Puzzled after looking under every menu and not finding it, I consult the wiki. BISMUTH CANNOT BE MADE INTO ANYTHING!
Someone is going to be getting hit in the head and it won't be me.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

bismuth bars!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah but I already have bismuth bars; I bought them from the mountainhome; its not like I can melt them down...can I?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You should be able to melt bismuth bars into new bismuth bars, but you'll lose ~70% of the metal in the process. Dunno if that'll count towards the mandate.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be nice if someday we could just buy stuff off the merchants to fulfill a mandate, or mark items to be presented to the noble, which requires hauling things to their office, and having the noble take one of the items for their own.

The better the quality of the item, the more decorated (in short, the more dwarfbucks it is worth), the happier a thought they get upon taking the item.

More of a tithe than anything, I suppose. A way to check the capability of their domain.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

I mean make a set of vertical bars!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, the way to deal with Bismuth demands isn't to buy the bars and make something, it's to buy the ore and smelt it.

All you can really do with Bismuth bars is improve room quality with flooring and supports. That or wait until somebody gets a mood that requires metal and then forbid every non-Bismuth bar in the entire fort.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

You should be able to melt bismuth bars into new bismuth bars, but you'll lose ~70% of the metal in the process. Dunno if that'll count towards the mandate.

I tested this several versions ago and it did not work then.  I don't imagine that it has been changed since.

The only way to fulfill the mandate is to make bismuthinite into bismuth bars, or possibly if someone creates a bismuth artifact of some sort.  I don't know if artifacts work towards fulfilling mandates.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kill the noble. Ends the mandate, no problems.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Actually, a new noble comes and reduces the migrants the same way a whole bunch of Urist deaths might. If that's not too much of a problem, you can keep "re-rolling" until you get a noble whose preferences match your resource availability.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried the bar thing and no, didn't work. Anyways, I don't kill nobles so I asked the dwarven caravan to bring me some bismuthinate next time. A miner was punished (this is almost reasonable; I know there is no reason to who is punished but I pretend maybe he's blamed for failing to find the bismuthinate) with jail time, which is reasonable enough; no hard feelings there.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile

I tried the bar thing and no, didn't work. Anyways, I don't kill nobles so I asked the dwarven caravan to bring me some bismuthinate next time. A miner was punished (this is almost reasonable; I know there is no reason to who is punished but I pretend maybe he's blamed for failing to find the bismuthinate) with jail time, which is reasonable enough; no hard feelings there.

Stockholm Syndrome?

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really should've finished my thought.

So, rather than making a bismuth bar, you mark the ones you have for it and go: "Hey look, we have this stuff, so SHUT UP ABOUT IT."

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would've suggested removing [BRITTLE] from the matgloss_metal.txt file.

That would've allowed you to make bismuth furniture.