Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 1 Man siege?!  (Read 3004 times)

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: 1 Man siege?!
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 04:48:56 pm »

Active duty soldier won't train (need to stick them into off duty).

For crossbow, make sure their off-hand (the hand not holding the crossbow) isn't holding anything else.  If their off-hand is holding anything else, they'll never train or fire their crossbow (they're not smart enough to drop it, so dump it).

Check if your soldiers are idle.  If they're not, they're probably constantly busy doing something (storing items, sleeping, eating, drinking, partying).

Try the following.
1. Double check barrack assignment, make sure they're barrack and not just unassigned rooms.
2. Make sure your barrack is big enough (in my experience 11x11 seems like a good size).  And make sure your archer range is long enough and facing the right direction (minimum is 3, the target, a floor, and the dwarf, but I always use 5).
3. Dump EVERYTHING the dwarf is holding in their hand.  If you have spare weapon and gloves, the dwarf should re-equip themselves fine.
4. Make sure your soldier are off-duty (and even if they're try cycling to on-duty then to off-duty, maybe it will reset something).
5. Cycle them out of fortress guard/soldiering then cycle back (again, maybe it reset something).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 05:09:42 pm »

Did I just read that you dropped a bridge on this hippo and it broke on impact?

Awesome.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 06:48:41 pm »

Actually, what happened was the hippo destroyed the bridge in the interval before it closed. The only thing that can actually survive the Dwarven Atom Smasher is a wagon, I'm afraid.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 06:49:59 pm »

Lalalalala I can't hear you.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 06:51:40 pm »

Unless you put a hippo in the Wagon Equipment file in the raws,
Incestrape, Hippo tank has been scuttled

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 06:53:56 pm »

Urist McDwarf cancels Activate Atom Smasher: Hippo in way.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 06:59:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 09:04:28 pm »

So can most megabeasts.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 09:27:19 pm »

Ok first off, what do you mean by Idle and on duty? All it says is fortress guard, and all they do is walk from meeting zone to meeting zone, then slepe and eat.

Did I just read that you dropped a bridge on this hippo and it broke on impact?

Awesome.

Yes, i use NO mods, and NO changes to the raws. All i did was close a bridge, and the bridge broke into a bunch of rock and mechanisms.   

Basically... They are unstoppable.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 10:02:04 pm »

odd most one man sieges are like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTHJngZweTg
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 10:03:35 pm »

Haha back to the one man siege bit the siege is announced as the first part of the siege arrives; if only one squad is arriving the siege is announced as the first guy enters (hence your one goblin siege). Often a number of goblins enter simultaneously so a single goblin is rarely seen in a siege; moments later, as you saw, the next goblins became filing in.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 03:43:16 am »

Ok first off, what do you mean by Idle and on duty?

Go to (m)ilitary, go to the squad you want, press (v)iew squad, check if it says "squad is standing down". If not ("squad is on duty") press (t) to let them stand down. Only squads that stand down will spar, only squads on duty will fight and patrol. I mostly only have a few soldiers on duty guarding the entrance, the rest can be standing down untill you have a siege.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 08:30:43 am »

Dispatch a horse foal. From my experiences with an arena I built Horse Foals > Goblin Wrestlers.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 12:23:07 pm »

Ok first off, what do you mean by Idle and on duty?

Go to (m)ilitary, go to the squad you want, press (v)iew squad, check if it says "squad is standing down". If not ("squad is on duty") press (t) to let them stand down. Only squads that stand down will spar, only squads on duty will fight and patrol. I mostly only have a few soldiers on duty guarding the entrance, the rest can be standing down untill you have a siege.
Didn't he say that it was fortress guards? Yeah. He did. It shouldn't make a difference for them. But you DON'T want fortress guards to train, really.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 04:41:20 pm »

They barely do anything. If justice ever needs to be dispensed, I'll have the "special peasant" turned into a fortress guard.

the "special peasant" is a dwarf I keep around with no skills, and only hauling enabled. He will never be good at anything, but if he's lucky he might get to take a bullet bolt for a better dwarf.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3