Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5121646 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA: [S] Make her pay
« Reply #8055 on: September 09, 2010, 12:15:16 pm »

I'm pretty sure Karkat explained the flow of the game to John at some point. I can't be arsed to find the relevant logs, but it wasn't too complicated.

Black and White are locked in an eternal stalemate in the timeless expanse of the Incipisphere. When a player enters the Medium, his kernesprite hatches and the chess metaphor game becomes more complex as the battlefield expands and the quasiroyals assume the prototypings. This throws the game off balance, giving one side a chance to win. Now, in a normal game, this is inevitably black, who is destined to get win the war, get the white scepter and start the reckoning. At this time, Skaia activates its defense portals, and the players have for however long they last to kill the black king, at which point Skaia is saved. The denizens each guard a huge grist hoard that will be used for something called "the ultimate alchemy", and it's not exactly clear yet how this ties to the rest of the game.

Also, the game doesn't "reset", as far as we know. If black wins, what you get is a null game session with dead players, crushed Skaia, and presumably Derse reigning over the medium for all eternity.

What's supposed to happen when you win the game is also a bit of a mystery. The stated goal is saving Skaia, the source of all creative potential in the universe. Whether or not this actually means something has yet to be seen. The trolls won their game, but something apparently happened and now they're doomed for some reason.

I have a really cool theory about the real purpose of Sburb, which I posted earlier, and am now going to post again because it's so cool.

Spoiler: Insane fan theory (click to show/hide)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: September 09, 2010, 12:49:15 pm »

Remember the forge?  Maybe the forge has to do with the ultimate alchemy.

Also, maybe they need Skaia(Being a place of unlimited creativity) to rebuild their world, possibly with the ultimate alchemy.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: September 09, 2010, 01:03:01 pm »

I think it can reasonably be said that there's really two or three different levels of games being played at the same time.  There's the stated goal of disposing the Black Royalty, there's stopping Skaia from being destroyed, there's keeping the universe from being destroyed by Space Demons, and there's learning the Power of Friendship, if that's even really a factor.

I return to my earlier impressions of Karkat's conversations with John.  They believe the kids' session is responsible for their own ending, they're looking for what went wrong and Karkat is still looking for it well into his future (that is, John's past), and of all the other sessions he's seen through his time-and-space-traveling IM client he's never seen a game actually played to an acceptable conclusion.

Acceptable to him anyway.  I still suspect that Sburb doesn't give a damn about it's players learning or surviving at all, and that the game session ending with everyone in it is actually the proper order of things.  Have you never wondered - what does Mario do when you turn off the console; where does Dr. Freeman go when you start a new game and overwrite the autosaves; what happens to the Dwarves when you delete a save-folder?  The players get to experience the existential crisis of a game being turned off from the inside.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: September 09, 2010, 01:24:26 pm »

Game Over, User Wins?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: September 09, 2010, 01:26:39 pm »

Credits roll.

Percentage complete.

Oh wait, SECRET BONUS BOSS!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: September 09, 2010, 01:30:57 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa.

Remember early on when the player moved the cake off the magic chest?

Did you ever wonder why they had to use such a bizarre form of inventory?

Maybe there's a whole other layer of the game, and the kids/trolls aren't any more the players than Jack Noir and the other NPCs.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: September 09, 2010, 01:34:17 pm »

Well, they (atleast the midnight crew) do have their own inventories, if that proves anything?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: September 09, 2010, 01:36:44 pm »

The kid's exiles don't have inventories... and in fact find the idea of them preposterous. Hmm...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: September 09, 2010, 02:17:56 pm »

Well, the exiles are playing the game with the kids as characters. And the readership is playing everyone but the guardians. And every now and then everything goes meta and Andrew starts responding to the commands in person and the readership is given an avatar inside the story. Yeah, I have no idea what is going on here. I still think it's something to do with friendship.

This story is pretty much the Ultimate Riddle.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: September 09, 2010, 02:20:37 pm »

I thought the ultimate riddle was "Where the hell is everyone else?"  I mean, John's place is surrounded by houses and stuff, but we never see anyone else outside.  Even though you'd be expecting some panicked end of the world scenario to be playing out.

Same goes for Dave, although Rose and Jade are fairly isolated.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: September 09, 2010, 02:27:20 pm »

My theory is that skaia is trying to kill Lord English by putting in as many paradoxes/loops/weird time shit as it can and the purpose of the first guardians is to resolve them. So the ultimate purpose of every session is to spend skaias time until the world ends.

Also, everyone else is also playing Spurb. Or got killed by the kids future time clones or something.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: September 09, 2010, 02:29:43 pm »

IIRC, the only instance of them making contact with people not inside the game are those from Dad's PDA, his SERIOUS BUSINESS friends trying to message him after John had already acquired it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: September 09, 2010, 03:13:03 pm »

TT: Have you ever looked into the sky without your shades?
TG: no what a ridiculous question
TT: Maybe you should try it some time.
TG: ....

Don't do it Dave!  It's too bright!

Oh, he'll be fine. Earth's Sun isn't like Alternia's, and even if it was humans aren't like trolls. Besides, Earth is almost destroyed by this point.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #8068 on: September 09, 2010, 03:18:30 pm »

Last I checked, they weren't even ON Earth anymore. I suppose they could still look at whatever their land has for a sun though, or Skaia or something like that.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: September 09, 2010, 04:30:19 pm »

That discussion took place the kids' Derse.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 3524