Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 48

Author Topic: Beginners Mafia - Game over!  (Read 72102 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners Mafia - Day 2
« Reply #405 on: August 09, 2009, 09:43:15 am »

*grumble grumble*

Let me try to simulate this.

We lynch Vector...

* Jim Groovester
    * dakarian
    * Org - TOWN
    * ToonyMan
    * eduren
    * BloodBeard - TOWN
    * Vector - TOWN
    * Free Beer
    * webadict

Oh noes he's town!!!  Night goes by...

* Jim Groovester
    * dakarian
    * Org - TOWN
    * ToonyMan
    * eduren
    * BloodBeard - TOWN
    * Vector - TOWN
    * Free Beer - TOWN
    * webadict

Free Beer is dead!  We would have 5 total people and 2 mafia.  We lynch webadict because by this point he's scum.

* Jim Groovester
    * dakarian
    * Org - TOWN
    * ToonyMan
    * eduren
    * BloodBeard - TOWN
    * Vector - TOWN
    * Free Beer - TOWN
    * webadict - MAFIA

Yah!  Next night goes by.

* Jim Groovester
    * dakarian
    * Org - TOWN
    * ToonyMan
    * eduren - TOWN
    * BloodBeard - TOWN
    * Vector - TOWN
    * Free Beer - TOWN
    * webadict - MAFIA

It's just us three!  Seeing that webadict was scum we vote dakarian and....

* Jim Groovester
    * dakarian - MAFIA
    * Org - TOWN
    * ToonyMan
    * eduren - TOWN
    * BloodBeard - TOWN
    * Vector - TOWN
    * Free Beer - TOWN
    * webadict - MAFIA

We win.  2 town left.

So....

That means if we lynch Vector and he is town.  We would still win if webadict and dakarian are scum.  Because THEY WOULD BE.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 09, 2009, 10:18:06 am »

I'm glad there's a winning scenario.

By why start with Vector? Why not start with the guy you don't trust?

Or do you not trust Vector, either?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 09, 2009, 10:21:34 am »

The Whiteboard
Vector: Free Beer, ToonyMan, dakarian, webadict
webadict: Jim Groovester, Vector

Reminder: Day 2 ends ~10am Tuesday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 09, 2009, 10:22:52 am »

I don't trust anybody.  We need to get the scum.  If Vector turns up town we should be ok anyway.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 09, 2009, 11:15:05 am »

I still don't trust webadict.  He's alive Day 2.
That's Day 3. I always die Day 3.

But, I'm not mafia. I can tell you that. And I'm sure Vector is mafia. But don't group the scum like that. I'm telling you, that it may just as well be dakarian and Vector as it is Jim Groovester and Vector. Just because Vector jumped onto Jim's accusation does NOT make Jim scum. Don't confuse that. I'm not saying Jim is definitely town. I'm merely saying that you shouldn't count him out as an obvious scumteam.

And, please don't leave out eduren. He's around here somewhere. He may very well be lurking. He's not the most suspicious, but he's there, certainly.

And if the Doctor's smart, he'll protect Free Beer. :)

Also, Cop, investigate me or dakarian.

Also also, I'm going away for two days or so. I'll be back eventually!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 09, 2009, 11:23:14 am »

I was planning to do another WoT to reply to Jim.. if you still want it jim I'll post it.

However, I think Toony said it best: Vector's scumminess will kill you Jim while his Towniness will kill me and web.  It's a gamble we'll just have to accept.

Btw, Jim.. why AREN'T you accepting it?  You already see that we'll still win if Vector flips town.  Why are you STILL defending him?  Why do you trust him so much?
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 09, 2009, 04:04:28 pm »

And, please don't leave out eduren. He's around here somewhere. He may very well be lurking. He's not the most suspicious, but he's there, certainly.

Been sort of intimidated by the Walls of text. I can say thought that i agree with dakarian, Jim has continued to defend Vector in the face of the majority, something a Townie wouldn't do.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 09, 2009, 05:17:45 pm »

I was planning to do another WoT to reply to Jim.. if you still want it jim I'll post it.

However, I think Toony said it best: Vector's scumminess will kill you Jim while his Towniness will kill me and web.  It's a gamble we'll just have to accept.

Btw, Jim.. why AREN'T you accepting it?  You already see that we'll still win if Vector flips town.  Why are you STILL defending him?  Why do you trust him so much?

So I just have to accept that you two scum are going to lynch an innocent townie, just because there's a win in there either way? No, I can't accept that. It doesn't concern me that Vector's lynch would inevitably prove that I am town, I don't want him lynched because he's innocent. It would be another wasted lynch, just like Org.

And you can keep your wall of text. I don't need to see another poorly thought piece full of suspicious mafia tells that everybody just ignores anyway.

Been sort of intimidated by the Walls of text. I can say thought that i agree with dakarian, Jim has continued to defend Vector in the face of the majority, something a Townie wouldn't do.

Wait, why wouldn't a townie want to defend somebody against the suspicious 'majority'? I don't follow.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 09, 2009, 05:50:06 pm »

Wait, why wouldn't a townie want to defend somebody against the suspicious 'majority'? I don't follow.

Because townies shouldn't trust people. By defending him, you trust his claims of innocence (because if that defense turns out to be wrong, you are extremely suspicious).
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 09, 2009, 06:24:26 pm »

Because townies shouldn't trust people. By defending him, you trust his claims of innocence (because if that defense turns out to be wrong, you are extremely suspicious).

I guess scum should trust each other then, right? dakarian trusts everything webadict says.

I don't so much trust Vector's claims of innocence as I do distrust claims of his guilt. Do I need to repeat why I accused webadict? It was not because I believed Vector, it was because webadict's accusations were empty. I suppose if attacking the empty accusations amounts to defending Vector, I guess I am.

If his claims of innocence are proven to be correct, then I was right to defend him, and I am additionally proven to be innocent. That's a fair gamble to make in my favor, but I would rather be lynching scum to win this game sooner than lynching innocents to prove that I am innocent.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 09, 2009, 06:45:23 pm »

All right.  I can see that you want to lynch me, and that's fine.  I wish you wouldn't, and it's kind of stupid, but if that's how it's going to go then I understand.  First of all, however, I have some questions to ask you.  I have a few more posts after this, but I'm going to break them up this time--hopefully you'll actually read them this time.

Though I understand that people take suspected scum with a grain of salt, it seems downright inconsiderate to not even read/respond to what I have to say.

1. To dakarian, ToonyMan, and Free Beer: Why does it not worry you that webadict never answers any of the questions posed to him, and did not respond to my defense?

2. Dakarian, you seem very frightened.  Why are you so scared, if you're town?  It shouldn't bother you to have webadict suspect you, other than the fact that townies around him tend to die.  You're suddenly making grammatical and spelling mistakes all over the place.  You're also yelling.

3. Dakarian, if you think we should lynch all liars, why does Webadict's lie not bother you?  He accused me of doing something ToonyMan had done, and then refused to answer my allegations.  Is he fine because you're in league with him?

4. Webadict: why aren't you answering any of my questions or responding to me?

5. Webadict: why do you trust Free Beer, and why do you think the scum will NK him?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 09, 2009, 06:51:25 pm »

We'll lynch webadict the next day if you're town.  Isn't that right webadict?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 09, 2009, 07:16:47 pm »

I disagree. I still believe Vector is more scummy over Jim. Sure, Jim Groovester is suspicious, but I would rather lynch Vector.

I think having similar voting records isn't enough to pin them together. I think that one is merely following the other. Which one do you believe is doing the following?

I'm pretty sure Vector has, each time. I say that following is MORE of a scumtell than the straight-out accusing that Jim did. Sure, I think he's wrong, but that's a bold mafia member that would do that. I'm not saying it's impossible, merely improbable.

I dislike the way Jim jumps to Vector's rescue though. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Can this man not defend himself? However, it's less likely that scum jump to someone's rescue, as that would bring attention to themselves, as you've proven. That's why I am sure Vector is more likely scum. He's following and cautious.

I didn't follow on dakarian.  I provided my reasons for attacking you, which you still haven't addressed.

Also, I can defend myself.  I just had a couple of busy days in there.  If you read my defenses, you would know that I was capable of self-defense.

Please also read the note I am about to post to dakarian.  It explains some of the reasons behind "following and cautious."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 09, 2009, 07:21:45 pm »

Also defended an array of people and gave them second chances, in hopes of finding actual scum and not going off randomly.  You were one of those people.  If I'm scum, why would I give you a second chance?  You're clever.  Do you think that if Jim and I were working in concert, we'd go for BloodBeard instead of webadict or you, given that both of you are running circles around the rest of us and BloodBeard was hardly saying anything?
Unless I missed some posts, the only person you second chanced was me once I finally came here.  Untill then, you were accusing me of lurking...

I second-chanced Org in the beginning, when Jim wanted to lynch him.  I second-chanced eduren.  I second-chanced you.  I kept things open for webadict when he was attacking me, on the off chance that he was just being extremely careful.  I also defended webadict from ToonyMan's allegations.

You said you were going to wait until he slipped.  I have documented an array of slips.  You have ignored them.  I accused him of lying.  You ignored that, too.

You requested that I defend myself.  You have ignored my defenses.  You're panicking and getting excited because you're going to be able to take me down before webadict destroys you--is that it?  If you're so afraid of webadict, maybe you should go after the hard lynch instead of, say, lynching townies.

That's NOT good enough.  I WoTed Eduren with a threat of LynchAllLiers.  Did he try the "I know you are but what am I?" argument?  No.  He ANSWERED my threats with reasons and explanations.  He spilled his guts and told what he could of himself.  I dropped suspicions afterwards.  I did the same to Web and he replied explaining likewise..not the BEST explanation but it was something.  I left FoS on him but dropped vote.

I do the same to you and expect explanations, reasoned arguments, and a reason for me to turn from you two and aim at web and perhaps Toony again. 

I've given my explanations and reasoned arguments.  I will post them again in a more concise format, if I have to.  Please just listen to me, because it seems like no one else is.

I considered him scum, but not dangerous scum.  Dangerous scum is scum that can hide perfectly within the town.  I thought of him more like pond scum, really.  You can see it there and you can decide what you're going to do with it, rather than needing to take care of it ASAP and kill it.  Besides, it might not even be scum, but something entirely different.  Does that make sense to you, or would you like me to explain my thinking process further?

As previously stated, I'm willing to give people time to change their tune.  The first day is about feeling people out.  I do that by attacking and backing away, though apparently my particular style gets me tagged "wishy-washy."  Why is it, then, that others are allowed to back off and send out general FoS's?
Because most threaten, let the other defend themselves, then pull back.  Again, I point to Eduren.  Blah, I point to you right now.  I threaten you, you defend, and if the defense works then I pull back. 

You threatened and pulled back in the same post.  That's not a true threat on Eduren.  It's especially not when you leave your vote OFF him.

Contrast, I accuse you, I VOTE for you causing you to reply.  THAT is accusation.  If I pull my vote now, it'll because you've proven yourself to me and showed evidence.

In fact, why did "I" have to prove myself by posting before getting the vote off me while someone you truely felt was scum gets off with just a FoS?  Once I proved myself, the vote should've went to Eduren, especially since Eduren's threats were fading away and Org wasn't exactly hiding well.

I've already explained this, but I will explain it one more time.  Eduren might have been scum, but I didn't know.  I didn't have enough information yet.  You proved yourself, and then the vote went to Org because he looked more suspicious than eduren.  Why lynch eduren if Org looked worse?  It seemed pointless.  So, I didn't go for the eduren-lynch.  I don't want to answer this question again.

I'm talking about mathematical logic here, not my emotions and suspicions.  Eduren behaved scummishly.  This does not mean he is scum.  Obviously, this was true of Org--so it also may apply to eduren.  Then, just because eduren wants Toony lynched very badly and Toony flips town does not mean that eduren is scum.  I took exception to Toony's absolute statements, where it sounded like he was using deductive logic to arrive at faulty conclusions.

If you think I was being pedantic and taking things too literally... why, yes I was.  I happen to like my logic clean and free of misuse.
But it sounds too jumpy, not just literal.  You accuse at the same time that you defend.  Now if we add in what you just said now, you actually believed that he WAS scum and was just after the second one...so WHY defend him?  Why not just say "He's scum, but not dangerous?"  Why sound like you have doubts if, as you say now, you were sure?

If you weren't sure, why tell me now that: "I considered him scum, but not dangerous scum.  "  That sounds definite while your posts sound wishy washy.  If you had said "I thought he could be scum but wasn't sure" it would make sense.. you say you felt he WAS... yet still wish washed.

Note, second chance =! wish wash.  I'm GIVING you your second chance now and I voted to KILL YOU.  I give you that chance but I show just how much I believe you're scum.

Passiveness is a mafia tell.

I accused ToonyMan of bad logic (possibly unintentional, though possibly scummy) and defended both eduren and webadict.  I didn't defend myself.  If you think my posts are jumpy... well, okay.  I guess you're entitled to your opinions.  I will submit here, however, that I'm not the one spewing exclamation points and blocks of capitalization.

Yeah, I jumped on someone for using bad logic.  What do you expect?  I'm a math major.  I plan on spending the rest of my life looking for logical fallacies and improper deductions.  Bad logic literally makes me feel sick.

Why defend eduren?  Because I didn't know if he was scum or not.  I thought he was scum, but there was space for other interpretations, as there always are.  I didn't know.  I'm willing to defend anyone, because the truth is worth more than my life.

And again: I considered him scum.  It is definite that I considered him scum.  It is not definite that he is scum.  Therefore, if you asked me "Is eduren scum or not," I would say "Well, maybe.  Probably.  Dunno."  If you asked me "Do you think eduren is scum," I would say "Yeah, I think he's scum, though there is a high degree of uncertainty."  These are two different interpretations.  I use the word "consider" as a much weaker variant of "think" or "believe."

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm weaseling out.  I tend to think very literally, and flexibility with language is not my forte.

Passiveness is not only a mafia tell.  It's also a character trait.  Take a look at the passiveness, in combination with the niceness--the tendency to defend everyone, even my enemies.  The tendency to apologize to people before I insult them.  The tendency to give second chances.  My desire to not feel rude by evading questions, thus answering anything that comes up to the best of my ability.  Doesn't that all go together pretty well?

It also fits with the sort of person who is part of a forum for six months and then only posts three times.  Don't mistake scum passiveness for genuine introversion, shyness, and uncertainty.

Is this not gut-spilling enough for you?  I'm already telling you that I have trouble using language flexibly and that in real life I'm a doormat.  I also told everyone that this is essentially my first experience with mafia.  Of course I'm making lots of mistakes.  Of course my posts aren't that analytical, and of course I seem to be behaving kind of oddly.  It's surprising that you didn't lynch me on day one.

If there are further questions, I will answer them to the best of my ability.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 09, 2009, 07:38:14 pm »

Trying HARD not to WoT this one.

Vector, apologies if you've written about it several times before but, you said that you have evidence of Webadict's slips.  Mind putting them all down in a post.  It'll be easier to see them if they are all spilled out in a row.  I said I do listen, and, even at the 11th hour, I'm listening now. 

That's the most important part of my reply, so I'm posting just that now.  I'll post on the rest afterwards.

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 48