Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A quick question about the map tiles  (Read 448 times)

cardboardwarrior

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A quick question about the map tiles
« on: July 25, 2009, 11:13:12 pm »

In vanilla dwarf fortress, the tiles on the map are taller than they are long. Is there a way to either widen the tiles horizontally or shorten them vertically? I've messed with the init files, but I've only managed to disorient myself so far.

I'm aware that some graphics mods can fix my above problem, but all of the graphics mods I've found don't support my screen resolution.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A quick question about the map tiles
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 02:48:08 am »

Use a different tileset. Vanilla DF comes with a square 16x16 tileset, curses_square_16x16.bmp, but it's a bit ugly as it's a stretched version of the 10x12 curses_800x600.bmp.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

cardboardwarrior

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 12:20:37 pm »

Well, it's better than being disoriented. Thanks for your time.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 04:25:26 pm »

I think pretty much any 16x16 tile set can fit any screen, if you change the number of tiles.  If you set it up to work with the one that comes with it, then just replace the tile set with say, this one (basically a really nice, crisp ASCII set).
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

torne

• Bay Watcher
  • arf arf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 11:12:12 am »

No, 16x16 tilesets require at least a 1280 pixel wide screen, because the minimum number of tiles is 80 wide by 25 high. If your screen resolution is lower then 16x16 tiles won't fit :)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:24:27 am »

Look at the tilesets on the wiki and find an 8x8 set that you like, then use the window size calculator to figure out what grid settings you need for the resolution you want to run.  Keep in mind that the minimum width is 80 tiles, so for an 8x8 tileset you will have a minimum of 640 on your horizontal resolution.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.