Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Room Templates  (Read 922 times)

Mr Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Room Templates
« on: July 24, 2009, 02:04:43 pm »

I searched for this on both the 'Eternal derpediderp voting thing' site and on the forums (To no avail.)

Now then, my suggestion will be short and concrete long and confusing:
Room templates.
The basic idea will be that when you have built a room (Or mined out an area.) you can use a 'template' option on that area (By marking with the mouse like when you build stockpiles) and a 'template' will be saved of that area.
My idea is that the 'template' is used sortof like a 'copy and paste' method to quickly create rooms.

Say you build a 12x12 room (Those nobles can go suck a dirty, blood-encrusted human male thong for all I care) with 1 bed, 2 chairs and 1 table in it.
Marking the whole room with the 'template' option on and saving it would allow you to later load that template, then click anywhere on the map and designations would automatically be made to mine, furnish and vomit in and make an exact copy of the other room.
This would be very useful when creating rooms as instead of manually having to tell the dwarves to mine, furnish and build the room, you would just be able to save an existing room template, load it and click a button (Rather than the mess that it kindof is right now, to be honest.)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Room Templates
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 02:39:46 pm »

Very useful for multiple room building. not sure about the furniture, I think you should allocate that yourself to avoid screw ups, but otherwise, yes. My current standard bedroom requires a lot of measurements and comparing for each new room and this would make it easier.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 02:59:10 pm »

How would the game pick which furniture to use? What if there isn't any?

Mr Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 03:05:43 pm »

How would the game pick which furniture to use? What if there isn't any?

Weeeeell, then it would automatically give orders to create said furniture (If possible?)
And to pick which furniture... I can't really say I understand your question there (Not really that coding interested).
I'll try to answer it based on how I percieved your question: the template is essentially a 'ghost image' of sorts.
If a bed is in the top-left corner (tile 1?), then when the dwarves would furnish that part of the room with a bed.

The only problems I could see with this is that dwarves try to put beds on unmined tiles.

"Urist McFurniturecarrier cancels Furnish room: dirt."

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 03:15:22 pm »

If you've got 30 coffers of different types of rock and different qualities, a MW gold coffer that's engraved (and intended for your kings throne roome), and ArgleBargle the ArgleBargle of ArgleBargle, a Kittenbone Coffer, which one should it pick?

Mr Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 03:18:27 pm »

If you've got 30 coffers of different types of rock and different qualities, a MW gold coffer that's engraved (and intended for your kings throne roome), and ArgleBargle the ArgleBargle of ArgleBargle, a Kittenbone Coffer, which one should it pick?

Ah, now I understand it.

It will try to take a bed (example) of the same material and quality level of the bed in the original room.
If no such bed is found it will take a random bed of cheaper material and quality.
And if you have no beds... a new bed will be ordered to be made (From the same material as the original room bed.)

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 05:10:44 pm »

See my brand new post on templat storage. We can comment on the mechanics of how it works there.

I relise that i am stealing from this thread, but i posted my topic before i read this one... :(
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz