Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure in a tower  (Read 547 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pressure in a tower
« on: July 23, 2009, 03:07:40 pm »

Alright. I've got some experience building huge water tanks, but I'm playing with Quickfort and trying to find new uses for it.

I've got a template for a 10x10 tower that I put together, and I think I might try using it to quickbuild my water towers. I just wonder whether it would work properly: If there is a solid floor on every level, with the only connection being up/down staircase shafts, will water pressure still occur?

I'm FAIRLY certain it will, but I wondered if any of you have any direct experience with this sort of thing.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure in a tower
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:17:08 pm »

There's no written reports that staircases kill vertical pressure - in fact, some imply they help the flow.  (Haven't studied it myself, kinda obscure.)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 03:18:13 pm »

I've had experience with this when I was trying to find a cave river. Stairwells do transfer pressure.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 07:17:39 pm »

Stairs do handle lag better than waterfalls though, in my experience.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 02:14:20 pm »

Stairs do handle lag better than waterfalls though, in my experience.
That's the deal here.  Stairs do NOT kill pressure.  My first well digging expedition I dug up/down stairs to the bottom of the map, dug over to a river and dug up/down stairs to the top.  The water flowed so fast it immediately drowned the miners who didn't want to climb stairs that were submerged and they died.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."