Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Welp, my fortress is a goner  (Read 9533 times)

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Welp, my fortress is a goner
« on: July 23, 2009, 04:06:10 am »

You know the feeling. That one moment of "OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!"

In my case, it was when I channeled magma in to my statue garden with 2 dozen dwarves, then didn't bother to watch the announcements of "... has died of the heat" until it was too late.

share your moments.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: Welp, my fortress is a goner
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 04:10:53 am »

Is it just me or are statue gardens cursed or something? I keep hearing different versions of this story.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 04:39:32 am »

Statue gardens tend to occupy a large area and contains lots of dwarves, a recipe for disaster.

Also, many players like to add a mist generator or magmafall to them. DF being DF, the dwarves suffer horribly.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 06:13:29 am »

MAgmafall? I am afraid to doo that :D.

I think I like my little dwarves too much to create such a thing in a statue garden... However it looks interesting :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 06:21:32 am »

Is it just me or are statue gardens cursed or something? I keep hearing different versions of this story.

I once had an open air Statue Garden. The Goblins saw a giant shooting gallery when an ambush camped out on the next hill over.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 11:54:36 am »

Is it just me, or will the first tantruming dwarf always destroy the main bridge in the entrance or at least the according lever.

BASTARDS. (What a strange game, the only winning move is not to play)

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 12:09:03 pm »

Heheh, I set up my statue garden to be a swimmer training facility, periodically flooding and draining.  Had happy thoughts from the waterfall, but the rest of the fort went south due to shabby experimental defenses.  Either someone tantrummed and broke a grate or I just screwed up in my room design, because I went downstairs for a beer and when I came back half my population had been flushed into the cistern and drowned.  Apparently their favorite way to cope with grief was to visit the statue garden/water park...
I brake for stumble bumblings

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 03:09:57 pm »

You know the feeling. That one moment of "OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!"

In my case, it was when I channeled magma in to my statue garden with 2 dozen dwarves, then didn't bother to watch the announcements of "... has died of the heat" until it was too late.

share your moments.

How many were nobles?  ;D
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 04:05:41 pm »

I had seven hermits locked into a fort. Unfortunately the first liason slipped in before I could seal my dwarves off. They began sending wave after wave of migrants to me, a good 5-10 each season. I left them outside, all recruited into one giant squad of wrestlers. They roamed across the map like a pack of feral dwarves, destroying every animal on the map but lacking the skill to eat them. They subsisted only on vermin, brook water and pure rage. Despite the fact they were all constantly starving, dehydrated and exhausted some of them turned into pretty good wrestlers. There were a lot of tantrums thrown, so they fought each other a lot. Every once and a while one would die from a brawl, wounds sustained from a brawl, or would go mad and throw themselves into a pond. All in all I was surprised how long most of them survived with no attention.

The second winter the orcs came and wanted to trade. Having never seen trading orcs before I decided to lower the drawbridge to see what they would offer. The hermits curiosity made them forget their previous two years of neglect. As I watched the caravan of orcs make its way to the fort I see an extremely fast wrestler sprinting to the drawbridge, leading the massive pack.

I thought I could save my hermits, and issued the order to raise the drawbridge again. The wrestler darts inside, tantruming. He body checks the dwarf about to pull the lever, breaking his hip. He then destroys the lever.

This is when I had that moment.

I issued the order to flood the fort, the hermits would take the wrestlers with them to a watery grave! But the floodgates stayed closed. The wrestlers had bedridden every single one of the hermits with broken legs.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 04:11:28 pm »

haha those feral dwarves are hilarious. I can see the game trying to handle them showing up to a new fort.

Some migrants have arrived
A vile force of darkness has arrived
??

I once tried to flood a fortress with magma when such a moment happened to me with orcs. Not a single orc got burned.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:14:40 pm by Slogo »

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 04:18:42 pm »

I'm so going to try the Feral Dwarf thing in my next fort.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 04:24:37 pm »

I decided to make a turtle pond with channels. I didn't look where I was digging, and flooded the main hall with the brook.
Savescum.

Later, I did the same thing with the magma forge extension program and a big open space. Walled it off, added water, dug out the obsidian with the miners dodging around puddles of 1/7 magma and molten flux stone, and ended up using it as a stockpile.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 04:37:09 pm »

Maybe instead of a drowning chamber defense have a pit with some water where you toss in immigrants + some food occasionally

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 08:17:22 pm »

I just had another moment.

I tried a glacier map. There is supposed to be an underground river somewhere, and a magma pipe, but I have yet to find either by the time autumn rolls around. They have taken to butchering the dogs, but the inability to produce water worries me. Fortunately the caravan just showed up.

They brought plenty of meat and leather. No plump helmets. And not a drop of brew.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 08:44:06 pm »

I had a moment where I underestimated the power of pumps. It was run by a water wheel so it just kept going and going and going. My whole first floor was 3/7 tiles nearly everywhere. All of a sudden, Woody the Woodcrafter comes out of nowhere and deconstructs the water wheel. He now has a room fit for a noble and a dining room of his too. I always keep him handy now when I do pumping projects.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.
Pages: [1] 2 3