Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 620510 times)

Derp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.6 6/29/10 see first post)
« Reply #1500 on: July 13, 2010, 06:02:31 pm »

I thought that DT was open source under the MIT licensing?

Meaning anyone could modify and release (or etc) their own modified version of the code provided?

Moving on from that.

I do feel Shibdib's wording was rather poor about the giving Chmod permission and was offensive.

I also feel lording over your open source program for donations is also in the wrong and equally offensive. No one likes a donation cup shoved in their face.

Ultimately DF is recreational and more or less not for profit at this point in time. Meaning that there are surely things in all of our lives that take precedence and thus pushing our hobby work to the back burner for a rainy day.

Working together and being respectful to one another is of the utmost importance and without it we are not a community. So let's not bring our stress from real life here and build grudges. Let's forget those things and instead try to build a better DF, together.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 06:18:24 pm by Derp »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: July 13, 2010, 06:14:15 pm »

Well, that was fast...  Another page, another link post.
Why isn't the latest version of DF supported yet?
Mapping New Versions of DF
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #1502 on: July 13, 2010, 08:43:18 pm »

Meaning anyone could modify and release (or etc) their own modified version of the code provided?
Well sure. But the name is copyrighted. You wouldn't download Firefox and then repackage it as Firefox. If you're going to fork it, fork it all the way. Set up your own support site, make your own bugtracker etc... Don't just steal the work.

Anyhow 0.5.7 is up. See first page.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)
« Reply #1503 on: July 13, 2010, 09:00:35 pm »

Thank you very much! You might be an overbearing workaholic, but what you do for DF is much appreciated. Seriously, good work, and thanks  :D
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 13, 2010, 09:20:35 pm »

Well sure. But the name is copyrighted. You wouldn't download Firefox and then repackage it as Firefox. If you're going to fork it, fork it all the way. Set up your own support site, make your own bugtracker etc... Don't just steal the work.

Anyhow 0.5.7 is up. See first page.

I highly doubt u went thru the process to trademark the name. But the release is up either way so its whatev

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #1505 on: July 13, 2010, 09:25:19 pm »

I highly doubt u went thru the process to trademark the name. But the release is up either way so its whatev

When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Are you a professional jackass, or just moonlighting?

Nicxvan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: July 13, 2010, 09:57:20 pm »

He never said it was trademarked, just copyrighted, which if you read what he replied with it is copyrighted. However, the bad news is that the name most likely is not protected under copyright. Copyright generally protects works, e.g. lyrics to a song a printed book, but not a name of a product. If I remember correctly from my Intellectual property class you can trademark it by placing tm next to it. This is not the same protection afforded to you in a registered trademark. To register it you must contact the patent office and pay a fee of roughly 500.00 For your use putting a tm next to it is most likely all the protection you would need.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: July 13, 2010, 10:02:01 pm »

When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Are you a professional jackass, or just moonlighting?
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ61.pdf

Extent of Copyright Protection
Copyright protection extends to all the copyrightable expression embodied in
the computer program. Copyright protection is not available for ideas, program
logic, algorithms, systems, methods, concepts, or layouts.

The best you can do is trademark a program.

But please keep this going, I said it was over already.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: July 13, 2010, 10:05:18 pm »

But please keep this going, I said it was over already.
Yet you posted again...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #1509 on: July 13, 2010, 10:09:41 pm »

You're absolutely right!  Trademarking is a royal pain in the butt and expensive, to boot.  But copyright of the name Dwarf Therapist (all chmod is laying claim to) is automatically granted when he made DT public.  We could probably split hairs on exactly *when* copyright goes in to effect, but it's really not worth it, since he already has it.  Besides, as the replies generated while I wrote this illuminate, copyright and trademark are completely tangential and serve mostly to obscure the core issues: etiquette and general civility.

Ultimately, Derp has it right.  It was offensive for you to "grant permission" for chmod to use the data you generated from *his* tool after repackaging *his* code as an "unofficial release".  As I pointed out before, the way to help those struggling with the new release of DF is to find the correct vectors, then post the text of the memory file and explain how to copy that text into a new file for DT to use.  Now you know.

I think that chmod is not out of line with a donate button on his project page.  As long as he's always clear that he's only the author of DT, and that Toady deserves all credit (and donations) for DF.  I've seen him mention the donate button, but I don't recall seeing anything that resembles "lording over" DT for donations.  I could be wrong.  Maybe I took an offhanded comment about more donations making him more interested in updating quickly too lightly.  But I easily ignored/downplayed that comment.  I'm sure Derp could too.  :)

The most offensive thing I've seen from chmod is his reaction to yet another whine about DT not working with the latest version of DF.  I sympathize with him and those who preemptively flambe those who ask The Question(c), but I personally think they are usually gross overreactions.  But that's me, and I don't release and support excellent open-source software for the love of it.  ;)
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: July 13, 2010, 11:29:52 pm »

Go chmod for the newest release. You and Mike have to be in synch or something considering you both always seem to update on the same day...ARE YOU GUYS THE SAME PERSON?

*Ahem*
Anyways, I would donate to you and Toady (and Mike if he takes Donations) if I had any spare money. You all deserve it.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: July 14, 2010, 12:36:41 am »

um...

yay for 0.5.7!

Thank you, chmod, for spending the time to work on this tool. :)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Huin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: July 14, 2010, 02:29:11 am »

dont tell us how to update ur program if we then get in trouble for.. updating ur program..

Let's not get all worked up about this. As far as I can see, what you did was well-intentioned. However, it merely took a step that the author is not happy with, which is to package up the whole program, rather than just the new memory layout model. I believe that the reason that he doesn't like this is that he wants to maintain a known quality in his release mechanism - because it only increases an already heavy support load on himself if other builds of unknown quality are made that people then have problems with (whether it is the fault of the code or the specific build - it's hard to say).

We should take a deep breath, learn, and move on.

Peace.

CapnMikey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: July 14, 2010, 02:36:57 am »

God, I get embarrassment cringes from that little exchange back there... anyways.

DUDE, this utility is AWESOME!  After a long hiatus, I tried playing DF again, but ragequit after trying to figure out my best weaponsmith/armorsmith/mason/etc. using the in-game UI.  So I decided to finally try a 3rd party program, and yours is beautiful :D  All dwarf data available at a glance, arrangeable in every way I need (and more), and... well, just pretty :)  Especially nice touch with the growing squares rather than numbers to represent skill level, I might have to steal that idea from ya ;D  Then I imagine what the game would be like if all the UI was this usable, and get kind of depressed :p

Is the main data grid a Win32/.NET standard control, or a custom control?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: July 14, 2010, 03:59:15 am »

God, I get embarrassment cringes from that little exchange back there... anyways.

Seriously. I cringe when I see someone use two periods instead of an ellipsis or your instead of you're, so I'm actually afraid to read someone's whole post if they out themselves as an illiterate in the first sentence.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 124