Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: In search of good ores  (Read 1307 times)

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
In search of good ores
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:33:13 pm »

Nigh on every time I embark, I always end up having my main mineral as copper. Everywhere I try- mountains, forested plains, oceansides...they're all copper. There's sometimes some bituminous coal around to smelt with, but smelting just copper stuff is pretty boring. And the mod I play on deprives nearly all the enemies of even iron weaponry.

So I guess i'm asking for advice as to where to embark if I want lots and lots of shiny precious ores in my fortress ( even worldgen parameters to edit, if it helps)

Thanks

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: In search of good ores
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:36:18 pm »

Look for Sedimentary layers (white on the embark screen). I'm partial to Limestone, myself, since it means you get Iron AND Flux. My all-time favorite combination of stone layers is Limestone/Marble/Granite, since you get pretty much everything that way. Hard to find all three together, but it does happen.

In any case, look at the Stone section of the DF Wiki. It'll tell you what you can find where.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:37:35 pm »

Copper, in it's varied forms, is possibly the most common of all ores, all things equal. (That is, without choosing a specific mix of layers.)  So you need to pay more attention to those layers at embark, and start to understand what they imply for the future of your exploratory mining and your fortress.

If I want a good variety of ores (and I usually do), I hope for several types of layers when I embark for an "optimal" mix :

• 1) Sedimentary layer(s) - for magnetite pockets (= massive iron, and possibly platinum), bauxite, coals, and often tetrahedrite (which can mean some silver).  Unless it's also flux, most all sedimentary is same same.

If I'm lucky enough to get a sedimentary that is also flux (dolomite, chalk, and/or limestone) that's two birds with one stone - as it were.  One of those 3 plus another sedimentary layer is bonus land.

• 2) Flux layer(s) - to make steel from all the iron, natch.  This is a dealbreaker for me, but not everyone bashes steel, admittedly.  Marble is the best - it's both flux, sedimentary and metamorphic - which makes it both rich and varied. Any flux is a value 2 stone, doubling the value of all rooms, engravings, workshops, constructions, and stone furniture and crafts - created wealth starts to jump.

• 3) Granite layer(s) - tends to be a uniquely rich layer, relative to others
  • 4) Gabbro layer(s) - another rich layer, and the exclusive source of some gems/ores.
    (Both 3 & 4 are "igneous intrusive" layers; diorite is as well, but, to use the technical geological term, diorite sucks, as compared to the other two.)

If/when I find this mix, I'm confident that I'm set.  Any others are then bonus or ignored/tolerated (and you work on your exploratory mining techniques to locate the layers you really want.) 

I also prefer to see a lot of height variation, so there are more layers exposed on the surface - makes it easy to find/mine stuff early on.  (I like to dig tunnels to exposed veins and work them from the inside - more exploration, and safety for miners and haulers.  I can also put a door on that tunnel and lock miners inside to get the job done, or keep experienced miners on the ore while trainees are, well, training, elsewhere.)

If you're having trouble with all the different layers and stones, bookmark the "non-dwarf's guide to stone" in the wiki (there's a link on the main page, under "Guides", top center).  If you see a new stone, a layer, ore or pocket, it will tell you in simple terms whether you should care, and why.

(edit - misleading typo, fixed)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 03:38:36 pm by Albedo »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 03:13:00 pm »

My current fort is disapointingly short on iron, largely due to not paying enough attention to layers :(  (It's got 2 magmas, a stream, something else watery underground and a bottomless pit, so not all is lost...) 

Remember Iron is found in Andesite, Basalt, Felsite, Obsidian, Rhyolite, Sandstone, siltstone, mudstone, shale, claystone, goblins, rock salt, limestone, conglomerate, dolomite, flint, chert, and chalk.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 03:23:37 pm »

My current fort is disapointingly short on iron, largely due to not paying enough attention to layers :(  (It's got 2 magmas, a stream, something else watery underground and a bottomless pit, so not all is lost...) 

Remember Iron is found in Andesite, Basalt, Felsite, Obsidian, Rhyolite, Sandstone, siltstone, mudstone, shale, claystone, goblins, rock salt, limestone, conglomerate, dolomite, flint, chert, and chalk.

I see what you did there.

Though they tend to contain it in somewhat smaller quantities.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

kenken244

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:24:37 pm »

I find chalk layers are very nice for Iron/Steel smithing. It has all three types of iron ores, lots of silver, and lignite and coal. It does seem to lack copper (which you may be glad to hear) but with all the other stuff it has, You will only need it if a noble demands an alloy, and then it is trivial to import that.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 03:37:06 pm »

Kenk - you are a fine example of someone who needs the wiki - if you care.

Chalk is a sedimentary stone - all sedimentary stones have iron, lignite and coal (and there are about a dozen different ones, mostly all same same.)

Chalk does not have any of the traditional high-yield silver ores (nuggets, galena, etc) - that's true for any flux.  Except tetrahedrite and its 1/5 chance for silver when smelted - but that's found "in any stone".  (The game seems to generate runs of one dominant ore or gem - so your "lots of silver" is pure chance.)

The tetra is also where your copper is coming from - again, "found in all stone" is hardly isolated to chalk.  Another game with chalk might have (almost) no tetrahedrite and its chance for silver - oops.

On the other hand, if you don't care, then please at least don't base advice off of the few (one?) game(s) you've played, thanks.  The gesture is appreciated, not so much when the end product is not based in fact.

Granite 26 - either you have an impressive memory, a serious OCD problem*, or you have learned the wiki is your friend.  But remember - not all of those are equally rich in a variety of ores.  The igneous extrusive ones (andesite, rhyolite, felsite & etc) stand out as, well, typically pretty disappointing, compared with your average igneous intrusive or sedimentary layers.  Not always - hardly so - but typically.

(* but we've all been there.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 03:52:01 pm by Albedo »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 03:53:30 pm »

The most plentiful source of iron, by far, is goblinite.

However you will likely need magma in order to fully exploit this rich and renewable resource.

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 04:12:30 pm »

The most plentiful source of iron, by far, is goblinite.

However you will likely need magma in order to fully exploit this rich and renewable resource.

"And the mod I play on deprives nearly all the enemies of even iron weaponry." is stated in the OP, and so clearly that is not the case for him.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 04:53:01 pm »

In my current fort, I'm scouring the marble layer for copper. Not because I like it or anything, but because it's my only method of creating bins. I'm digging huge long tunnels searching for it, and when I DO find it, all work stops as everyone hauls it to the stockpile next to the smelters.

I'm also searching the bottom of the map for nickel. There is absolutely no above-ground wood, so it bridges the gap between copper veins.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 10:55:04 pm »

I usually have no problem in getting THIS

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 11:39:05 pm »

That's because magnetite commonly occurs in large clusters in sedementary layers, and one magnetite cluster is enough to feed an entire fortress for a decade assuming you don't go hog-wild with making stuff out of iron/steel.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 09:14:12 am »

Finding the "perfect" fort location with flux, magnetite, and magma is much harder than one would think.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 03:28:00 pm »

That's because magma wants volcanoes nearby, and volcanoes mean igneous rock - intrusive, extrusive, either one or both.  This means that while several types of stone are predictably on the list to be expected, flux is not one of them - if it's there, meh - but only by accident.

Sedimentary (where you find the massive magnetite pockets) wants the opposite - it wants geologically calm areas where the sediment can build up over eons and slowly become stone.  (Yes, whatever model Toady developed was actually influenced by RL geology!)

So, bottom line, it's hard to find flux near magma vents, and even harder to find sedimentary - finding both together is that difficulty squared.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 03:32:00 pm »

That's because magma wants volcanoes nearby, and volcanoes mean igneous rock - intrusive, extrusive, either one or both.

Only extrusive, actually. Magma doesn't show up on region tiles dominated by granite or gabbro or diorite, only those dominated by rhyolite, andesite, felsite, obsidian, and basalt.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: [1] 2