Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pathing and Connectivity  (Read 2176 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Pathing and Connectivity
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 06:22:42 pm »

yeah. how many time have you had dwarves go round a block just because they would have to mine it from a diagonal otherwise. Fecking dwarves.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 09:56:27 pm »

There is a ridiculously easy fix for z-level pathfinding and I'm sure someone's probably mentioned it in the Wall of Text that I didn't read.

In init.ini:

[Z_LEVEL_WEIGHT:20]

A token that allows you to add an artificial amount of rooms in between Z-levels. Going down a single level in that example counts as 20 'tiles'. The higher you put that number, the more horizontally your dwarves will travel when their pathfinding routine kicks in.

Infiltrator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 06:29:32 am »

There is a ridiculously easy fix for z-level pathfinding and I'm sure someone's probably mentioned it in the Wall of Text that I didn't read.

In init.ini:

[Z_LEVEL_WEIGHT:20]

A token that allows you to add an artificial amount of rooms in between Z-levels. Going down a single level in that example counts as 20 'tiles'. The higher you put that number, the more horizontally your dwarves will travel when their pathfinding routine kicks in.

Unfortunately that is only a work-around. And a bad one at that. If you do that, they'd rather walk twenty tiles to the left of them to get a rock, when they could go down the stairs right next to them, and grab the rock there, three steps. Not a fix, merely a poor work-around.
GENERATION 25:
The second time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 2 to the generation. (Slight mutations allowed)
Sociopathic experiment.
Pages: 1 [2]