Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Demon's Soul - October 6, 2009  (Read 5332 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Demon's Soul - October 6, 2009
« on: July 19, 2009, 06:46:02 am »

Demon's Soul Wiki

RPGFan Review

One Last Continue Review

Eurogamer Review

In the spirit of Monster Hunter...

I am hyped for this thing after only hearing about it...  just 2 hours ago.  What do you lot think?  Is it your kind of thing?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon's Soul - October 6, 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:12:48 am »

Wow that looks.... fun. I have to admit I was thinking the other day of how easy games are now while I was playing daggerfall, they really don't make games like that anymore lol. Heres hoping they make the new mechwarrior like this somewhat.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 10:39:05 am »

That looks cool. Every fight is a big deal and it's HARD...I like the sound of that.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 03:34:11 pm »

What? Something actually challening, made in japan and yet similar to western RPGs?
Sounds awesome, its in moments like this i get happy about choosing a PS3 rather then a 360.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:11:52 pm »

Yea, sounds like a sweet game. 

You get hit hard enough...  you die.  Just like real life.  There is only so much you can take before keeling over.... or being obliterated.

Good or top gear won't save you if you suck a lot, but, it will make things easier.  What really matters is the player's skill, which I love the concept of.  Its the same in Monster Hunter. 

Its not about luck and its not about ramped up AI hp, damage and stats that makes it 'hard mode' or hardcore...  It just makes it more tedious and annoying.   Reward the player with better AI.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 03:00:35 pm »

You get hit hard enough...  you die.  Just like real life.  There is only so much you can take before keeling over.... or being obliterated.

Good or top gear won't save you if you suck a lot, but, it will make things easier.  What really matters is the player's skill, which I love the concept of.  Its the same in Monster Hunter. 

Its not about luck and its not about ramped up AI hp, damage and stats that makes it 'hard mode' or hardcore...  It just makes it more tedious and annoying.   Reward the player with better AI.
Yes its just like moster hunter *looks at his barely played copy of freedom unite* I really need to get back to that.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 03:13:55 pm »

What!? A basically new King's Field!? Gorgeous visual design? Exciting, difficult gameplay!? Huge bosses!!? Hell yes sign me up this very se-

... PS3?

NUTS.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 04:25:16 pm »

Oh snap, this looks awesome. I will have to import this, FOR THE GREATER GOOD!

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 07:27:56 pm »

Notes:

When you die... You have the choice of resurrecting as a blue phantom(Helper ghost) in another players game... Or a black phantom: sneak up and and kill them while you're half life, and you get to resurrect in your own game!

Importing:
play-asia.com...64.90. Supposedly no region protect. But you lose out on the american servers. As well as the snazzy art book that comes pre-order.
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 10:05:41 pm »

"RPGs" based on player skill instead of character skill aren't really a new concept.  Just look at pretty much every recent western cRPG.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 01:18:00 pm »

Like... ?

Well, I do know that there is modded mount and blade...  it has its own concept, style and market...  but I am at a loss with any other examples...

Though, I suppose opinions can be debatable when it comes to stuff like Oblivion...  death just means you 'reload at savepoint, try again like nothing happened.'

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 09:08:09 am »

The largest flaw with this game is it darkfail styled fanbase. I was interested in it on another forum and when i mentioned my disapointment over how it's exclusive to a platform i don't own and have no intention of ever getting until it comes in the form of "ps3emu.exe" I got yelled at for apparently liking halo 3, which is also exclusive to a console i don't own. Any further concerns about the according to reviews annoyance of death and other things were from then on dismissed because a "halotard" can't possibly make a valid point whatsoever.

If a game's fanbase has the attitude of "there are people who want this game and there are idiots" i'll pass.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 01:27:23 pm »

Honestly, the majority of games on either console don't catch my eye. This, and Left 4 Dead are both nice, though. Wouldn't buy a console for either, but there's a spare PS3 in my living room :)

I don't know why I'm digging on this game so much. The gameplay doesnt seem THAT amazing.
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 01:51:51 pm »

Like... ?

Well, I do know that there is modded mount and blade...  it has its own concept, style and market...  but I am at a loss with any other examples...

Though, I suppose opinions can be debatable when it comes to stuff like Oblivion...  death just means you 'reload at savepoint, try again like nothing happened.'

Oblivion, Oblivion with guns, Mass Effect.  Also, Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect 2, though those haven't come out yet.  How many other games have come out recently calling themselves RPGs?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 02:30:43 pm »

Oblivion, Oblivion with guns, Mass Effect.  Also, Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect 2, though those haven't come out yet.  How many other games have come out recently calling themselves RPGs?

Oblivion isn't really skill based. Too much depends on whether you have enough longsword skill to deal +2 damage instead of just +1 (fighting zombies at low levels is impossible without good enough character skills, no matter how much I kite it :(). So is hp and mp. Player skill has minimal effect on gameplay.
Fallout 3 depends on your weapons skill to deal damage, and V.A.T.S. is dependent on skills and abilities. so is hp. Player skill has minimal effect of gameplay.
Mass Effect, however, does not have stats holding too much of an impact on gameplay. Really on hp, and some slight bonuses to damage, but I think you can play through the entire game without allocating any of those skill points you get. I'll give you that :) (I'm assuming mass effect 2 is much like mass effect)

never heard of Alpha Protocol though.
Pages: [1] 2 3