Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: increased portions  (Read 5238 times)

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Re: increased portions
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 09:43:07 am »

lol, but if this was implemented exactly as it is my fort would starve to death in a matter of 3 months
Hello Hunam

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 09:49:03 am »

Yep.  Which is why it won't happen.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2009, 10:09:11 am »

mostly because my miner would eat 1/4 of my food supply per meal
Hello Hunam

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2009, 10:19:04 am »

Basically, leave it as it is. It works fine, and who really cares if it isn't accurate to life. this is a fantasy world with crazy crops being eaten by imaginary dwarves, if it isn't unbalanced in terms of gameplay, leave it.

If it ain't broken, fuck off. :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 01:31:04 pm »

Its up to 10 tasks (depending on farming skill, usual max of 5 plants per harvest) harvest the crops. Then another 10 tasks to haul the crops to your stockpile. Then 10 tasks to haul the plants to a table to eat. 1 task to eat. And now 10 hauling tasks to bring the seeds back to the stockpile.

20 for the seeds.  Each mushroom has 2 spawn.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2009, 06:44:22 pm »

It might be a good idea for Toady to just put food quantity into the raws, so if you want your dwarves to only eat one Plump Helmet a season you can set that, or if you want them to eat all 90  of the meals a human would have eaten in that relative time you can set that too.

I would like to see farming take a little more micromanagement then "b->p->u+k->enter. Select crop. Starvation issues go bye bye". There are different solutions, everything from requiring more food per meal to requiring more focus on fertilizer and irrigation. Something does need to be done though, I think a lot of players find that after you initially master farming it gets ridiculously easy. I've never come close to starving, even when my dwarves embark with no food.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 07:14:48 pm »

I actually have too much food. All my barrels are being used in food production and I've got none left for booze. I think the farming is fine as it is, micromanaging it won't make it any more fun, it'll just piss people off. The adjustable food rates is a good idea. People that want more of a challenge will have one more way to do it.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 08:47:58 pm »

if it isn't unbalanced in terms of gameplay, leave it.

It is completely unbalanced. Food production is essentially meaningless as a facet of the game since it's so easy
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:54:37 pm by Pilsu »

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 09:23:04 pm »

Don't you guys remember when farming actually WAS a challenge?  It was much more fun back then.  I definitely want something done... just not this specific suggestion of higher skilled dwarves eating more.  I say let -all- dwarves eat more, just make sure hauling is updated so they'll get all their food in one go.

Also, make farming itself harder.  Maybe soil depletion?  I want to build complicated irrigation systems again!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 10:20:37 pm »

Flooding the farm with water would just kill all your plants

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2009, 10:56:46 pm »

Flooding the farm with water would just kill all your plants

also not to mention that mushrooms and other subterranean plant like things end up needing essentially no irrigation.  fertilizer sure, but if the fertilizer is moist enough then no irrigation is needed.  most people's idea of irrigation is flooding, which it wasn't, just diffusion of water through soil.

so far i think that having farmland adjacent to water(a ditch filled with drinkable water) for above ground crops, vermin eating crops, fertilization, rationing, and multiple units being consumed is the best combination (with stacking mind you) so far (not necessary but it would also be nice to transplant soil where desired).

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2009, 02:58:52 am »

I actually have too much food. All my barrels are being used in food production and I've got none left for booze. I think the farming is fine as it is, micromanaging it won't make it any more fun, it'll just piss people off. The adjustable food rates is a good idea. People that want more of a challenge will have one more way to do it.

Ditto.  I figured that farming would require WAY more attention and production rates to sate the hunger of my population.  I'm used to games like civ that are pretty harsh if a city cant properly feed itself or creating enough trade or production to sustain itself, so I planted something like 12-16 6x6 farm plots when I had the first immigrant wave.  Wow, was I wrong.  I started burning up barrels left and right to house all the food and the booze that my farmers, cooks, brewers, threshers, and butchers were pumping out.

I would love to see something that would start consuming those products in higher quantites.  Something that would really need atleast 1 fulltime or 2-3 part time growers and harvesters to handle your first 7-15 dwarves you have immigrate at the end of the first seson.

My 2 cents for farming skills:
separate growing and cultivation with some harvester or plant handler that would compliment the grower skill (seems to be a major pet peeve, I've noticed)
Computer says 'No'.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2009, 06:06:23 am »

Using potash and nothing else to grow mushrooms isn't gonna work. You need stuff like sawdust, chaff, straw etc. Don't underestimate the controlled humidity needs either, a mushroom is basically the fungi's spore-laden penis and it can't swell without water. If you want it to come out of hiding, you need to get the mood humidity just right. Their yield would also be dubious

Some crops like strawberry aren't replanted every year and should take up the field entirely. Straw is used for the bedding and protection during winter. Some berry bushes might take years to grow before they produce anything and even then the yield is crappy compared to.. longland grass? I'm not sure why anyone would bother if that's the case though. Guess nutrition needs to be implemented

You really don't use ditches for above ground farming in real life beyond drainage, seems like a video gamey mechanic. Living next to a field of potatoes bloated tubers, it would seem no irrigation is needed whatsoever. This is more than balanced by rainfall fluctuations screwing with the yield, making overproduction of some kind necessary lest a bad year lead to famine

How would you combat small vermin? Not with cats, that's for sure. Cats eating roaches is stupid as is. Vermin automatically spawning everywhere doesn't really work either

This quickly gets out of hand

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2009, 06:38:26 am »

When animals need feeding we'll all be screwed, that wil give you the challenge you want.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2009, 11:31:16 am »

They could eat pure gold and it wouldn't pose a problem with this kind of output
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4