Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: increased portions  (Read 5246 times)

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
increased portions
« on: July 16, 2009, 01:16:52 pm »

So we know that dwarfs eat but a few times a year (an average of 8), and we know that farming is pretty easy.  I realized that if dwarfs eat more units of food per meal, then you could have dwarfs eating enough to make farming a bit more challenging.  Now if you start out having dwarfs eat a whole lot, then things will be pretty tough at embark, and easier later on.  So my suggestion is have a dwarf eat a number of units equal to the number of skill levels he has above dabbling (with a minimum of one unit of food per meal).

A legendary+5 farmer who has no social skills above dabbling requires 20 units of food per meal, which is 160 units per year, or less than a simple meal (30) of dwarven wine (25) and plump helmets (5). Which means that he would require 1 1/3 farm squares to eat, without fertilizer.

A legendary+5 farmer who has all social skills at legendary+5 requires 220 units of food per meal, which is 1760 units per year, or less than 59 simple meals (30*59=1770) of dwarven wine (25*59=1475) and plump helmets (5*59=295).  Which means that he would require 19 2/3 farm squares to eat, without fertilizer (13 1/9 squares with fertilizer).

A proficient farmer (max skill on embark) who has no social skills above dabbling requires 5 units of food per meal, which is 40 units per year.  Which means that he would require 5/6 farm squares to survive on raw plump helmets (assuming 2 average per harvest), without fertilizer.

Easily doable at embark, and definitely harder once you have dwarfs with multiple legendary skills.  The only problem i see is lots of meals that have too few units to be eaten by dwarfs, but once restacking comes into play this no longer becomes a problem.

[edit]
currently it takes 17 tasks to eat 10 plump helmets (a legendary+0 farmer), 2 for planting, 2 for harvesting, 2 for hauling to table, 1 for eating, and 10 for hauling of seeds.  this is the root of the problem i was talking about, once stacking gets implemented it would take 7 tasks, 2 for planting, 2 for harvesting, 1 for hauling to table, 1 to eat, 1 to haul seeds. currently it takes 5 tasks, 1 for planting, 1 for harvesting, 1 for hauling to table, 1 for eating, 1 for hauling seeds.  so it would take 3 2/5 longer without stacking to feed a legendary+0 dwarf, and 1 2/5 times as long once stacking is implemented.  conversely there is always the option to cook food, which is how one stacks right now (10 tasks for 10 plump helmet biscuits, 2 for planting, 2 for harvesting, 2 for hauling to kitchen, 1 to cook, 1 to haul to stockpile, 1 to haul to table, 1 to eat.) which would be double what it is currently.
[/edit]

originally suggested by Sidhien:
However I don't get why no one has brought up the possibility of simply having adjustable rationing for your dwarfs. At one end, giving large meals (allowing them to take up to X units in a stack, or the entire stack if it contains less the X units) would give a large happiness bonus, while at the other you could strictly ration dwarfs to the bare minimum to survive, which could cause unhappiness, slow working and even attempts to steal food which would have to be punished.
addendum by Impaler[WrG]:
What I would like to see is an Oregon Trail style of 'Rations' ware you can conserve food by ordering 1/4, 1/2, full or double rations.  Naturally a reduction in health occurs at low rations which ingresses chance of disease and injury, but it was often critically important to ration food because starvation kills very very fast if food reserves hit zero.
point brought up by Grendus
I like that idea, actually, though you don't need to set a new system to deal with the health issues. Dwarves at half rations would spend half their time suffering from a hungry status, which causes unhappy thoughts and causes them to work slower.

originally suggested by Warlord255:
One minor integration with health issues; injured dwarves require slightly more food? The immediate threat is that injuries will clutter your fort's already massive workload, but it is one way of raising the ceiling of required food.

originally suggested by Warlord255:
Another obvious one would be feeding animals, but that's a hard system to balance.

originally suggested by Grendus:
It might be a good idea for Toady to just put food quantity into the raws, so if you want your dwarves to only eat one Plump Helmet a season you can set that, or if you want them to eat all 90  of the meals a human would have eaten in that relative time you can set that too.
point brought up by Fieari
... just make sure hauling is updated so they'll get all their food in one go.

originally suggested by tsen:
Have "eat" send them to the dining room but not directly to the food cache. Let the dining room staff and cooks take care of that. I'd much rather see some sort of system where hungry dwarves came into the dining room, sat down and ate, turned in their mugs and plates and maybe took a snack for later and left. The only issue I see is figuring out how to let people have their favorite things.

Post-economy this would be less of a problem, as restaurants could do this. Some sort of cafeteria area-room with furniture/zones/settings designating an amount of food and amount of drink to be kept ready would be nice. (And cooked meals lasting forever, while good for now, would be a good thing to get rid of if we want to make food more challenging) Ideally, since we spend so much time having dwarves walk, the actual act of cooking would take virtually no time, so a dwarf could get hungry and be added to the dining queue as soon as he/she takes on the "Go Eat/Drink" job. So the dining room/kitchen staff prepare a table for that dwarf  with food and drink so when he gets there he can sit down and have a meal and then go back to business, or possibly socialize a bit in the mess hall before going back to work. Dwarves would, of course, help themselves if not forbidden if a dining hall doesn't exist or isn't staffed properly or what have you... triggering all the normal issues of "Ack, don't eat THAT!" and "damnit, seeds all over the table!"

So dining halls would be functional and cool and a bit harder to get all those happy thoughts from. "Sure it's made of solid gold but what do I have to do to get a beer?!"

Also, if stacking is implemented and we can assign "position" values to room/furniture/zones we could have a continuous order for the haulers to keep at least <X> empty bags in the bag stockroom, and the cooks could then stuff all the seeds into bags into a barrel that would get carted off when it was full, and the staff could clean tables+collect dirty silverware/mugs/plates and clean them. Naturally it would take one dwarf a very short amount of time to clean it all and put it back into a stack.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 01:43:52 am by jamoecw »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: increased portions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:37:16 pm »

If a dwarf eats more, it increases more than just food required.  He'd have to fetch more things to eat, and spend more time eating them.  This would FURTHER reduce productive time per dwarf and make the game even more min-maxy on fortress layout.

I don't disagree that something should be done, just that this is the right answer.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:05:33 pm »

There's a fantastic replacement matgloss_plant that someone wrote that makes farming much more interesting . . . I wish I remembered who originally put it together, and that Toady would incorporate it into the game.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:09:05 pm »

It definitely would be nice to make feeding a fortress more difficult, particularly a very large fortress, but with this method you'd have your entire fortress just hauling seeds and meals around.

Until hauling is improved, such as abstracting away seeds or letting dwarves move many small items at a time, then this would utterly destroy productivity.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:14:01 pm »

If a dwarf eats more, it increases more than just food required.  He'd have to fetch more things to eat, and spend more time eating them.  This would FURTHER reduce productive time per dwarf and make the game even more min-maxy on fortress layout.

I don't disagree that something should be done, just that this is the right answer.

The only problem i see is lots of meals that have too few units to be eaten by dwarfs, but once restacking comes into play this no longer becomes a problem.

hence a dwarf would simply stack up what he was going to eat and then take it to eat.  but you are right that it would be a problem until then, if a dwarf could eat multiple times instead of once for a meal.  if a dwarf only eats once then he would need a stack that could feed him, until restacking comes in.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:20:41 pm »

Consider that if a dwarf eats 10 plump helmets, thats still a massive number of hauling tasks per meal.

Its up to 10 tasks (depending on farming skill, usual max of 5 plants per harvest) harvest the crops. Then another 10 tasks to haul the crops to your stockpile. Then 10 tasks to haul the plants to a table to eat. 1 task to eat. And now 10 hauling tasks to bring the seeds back to the stockpile.

Thus, depending on how good your farmers are, it will take anywhere from 17-41 tasks per meal.

Average it out, and we're talking 29 hauling tasks generated every time someone gets the munchies.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 02:55:33 pm »

why does the number of tasks matter than number of tasks that need to be walked to?  i edited the first post since it seems to be an issue for some reason.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 03:05:56 pm »

I like the idea of farming taking up more space, and that it should take more dwarves to farm (30% of the fortress seems about right, historically)

Once the offsite areas come in to play, farming around the fort would be the FIRST thing to get automated, as far as I'm concerned.

why does the number of tasks matter than number of tasks that need to be walked to?  i edited the first post since it seems to be an issue for some reason.

It currently takes a dwarf about 2 days to eat.  20 days is the better part of a month.  If the dwarf is eating when the caravan shows up, or the siege happens, chances are he won't make it in time to be useful.

Unless you want to cut down on eating time  as well, in which case you'd be just as well off making farms less productive (require 9 squares to grow 1 unit of food rather than 1, longer growdurs), since it wouldn't require stacking or eating or any other change... just more space and more effort to farm.  (This is a suggestion that has been discussed at length in previous farming threads)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 03:16:40 pm by Granite26 »

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 03:22:50 pm »

except that immigrants could starve your fort out if farming was less productive, not to mention make it harder when starting out, while not really increasing in difficulty later on.

if we just count trips, we currently have 1 to the farm from the stockpile, 1 back, 1 to table, 1 back, which is 4 plus 2 tasks that require time (eating, planting).  the suggestion would boost that to 2 to the farm from the stockpile, 2 back, 2 to table, 11 back, which is 17 plus 3 tasks that require time (eating, planting), which is a problem (as stated).  once stacking is put in (can't remember if it is in for the new release or not), that is 2 to the farm from the stockpile, 2 back, 1 to table, 1 back, which is 6 plus 3 tasks that require time (eating, planting). longer growing seasons do the same, only it doesn't scale.  since stacking is already slated to go in, we are only looking at a 50% increase for veteran forts.

[edit]edited an extra back from table, to get the second plump helmet.  i rarely have them eat at tables personally.[/edit]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 04:02:15 pm by jamoecw »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 03:55:06 pm »

I don't think I'm following you, and I'm not sure your math adds up.

Personally, I think the best way to make farming harder would be to have plants rot on the vine, so that if the entire fort doesn't go harvest, people start starving.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 04:03:43 pm »

they do rot on the vine, and yes my math was wrong on the part that i said was a problem.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 04:13:35 pm »

A large number of hauling tasks can cause useful production to grind to a halt. Seeds are notorious for causing this, as any food related industry will produce a massive number of seeds, and each individual seed needs to be hauled. A single farmers workshop with process plants on repeat to make pig tail cloth will keep about 15-20 dwarves busy hauling around all those seeds and threads, even if the stockpiles are very close to the workshop.

Its 1 dwarf actually being productive, with 14-19 others cleaning up after him.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 04:20:54 pm »

I'm willing to use jamoecw's assumption that stacking is fixed as part of this, so that the planter hauls a bag of seeds and plants them all.

Every foodstuff is 4 trips to grow though... Planter Stocks->Field (and back), Thresher to field and back to stocks.   (you count this, because time to the job site needs to count)

Not trying to be difficult, I'm just not following

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 05:49:08 pm »

your solution is elegant-ish, but not the right one. historically it might be accurate, but this is a game for fun. we want our dwarves to do useful things with their time, or at least pointless tasks for our amusement. Making the entire fort food based would ruin a on-food based economy. Leave it as it is. My dwarves are occasionally eating when I want them to work, but I can let that slide, and the rest of the time I'm dealing with the other issues rather than just micromanaging my vineyards.

minmaxing of efficiency is fine, (I don't do it, I design my fortresses based on whatever strikes me as a good idea at the time) but it shouldn't be essential.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 07:17:14 pm »

Skills increasing food requirements is a stupid video game mechanic

Remove Grower skill (it really has no real life basis) and lengthen years. Implement more complex meals and there you have it. The now more realistic crop yields now force large fields
Pages: [1] 2 3 4