Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Chosen ones of Armok  (Read 2064 times)

Gamermaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chosen ones of Armok
« on: July 16, 2009, 09:28:41 am »

Wouldn't it be cool if one day you are playing your dwarven fortress and then WHAM!! Armok himself appears to your strongest warriors and turns them into  chosen ones of armok, dwarfs that becomes phenomenally more powerful, but with this blessing comes a curse, if too many days go by without the chosen ones killing something, they go berserk, and begin to kill ANYTHING they see, and maybe dwarfs in adventure mode can also become chosen ones and destroy the elves once and for all!!!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Chosen ones of Armok
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:13:01 pm »

Hmm. would seriously unbalance the game in two directions. I'm going to have to say no to this :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 12:20:03 pm »

would rather have goblins buffed to be posessed by demons instead of dwarves being posessed by Armok, they already pwn enough.
Hello Hunam

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:22:37 pm »

Avatars and Paladins have been discussed in more general terms before

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:55:43 pm »

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:17:06 pm »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Computer says 'No'.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 02:21:21 pm »

Personally I believe that the Dwarves are strong enough as of now. The only threat to a well trained and well equipped Dwarf is hidden, fun and very hot.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 02:49:37 pm »

Various deities and avatars will enter into the game eventually, but not like this.  And it'll be far more likely that such visits will not be pleasant for your fortress.

The following dev notes talk about gods manifesting in various ways:

# Bloat376, TALKING TO GODS, (Future): Instead of being forced to join a temple first, a player should be able to attempt to speak to any known deity.

# PowerGoal64, THE LOCAL SPIRIT, (Future): You take a coin that had been offered at the village shrine. A red deer runs across a nearby field, pausing to stare directly at you for a heartbeat, and then disappears beyond the woodline. You turn into a kobold that night. Your best friend feels compelled to kill you to put you out of your misery.

# PowerGoal75, SONG OF DREAD, (Future): The evil spirit of the wood caused the people's hair to turn white. On the day of the sacrifice, the priest sang a song of such dread that many villagers volunteered to die just to free themselves from the memory of its singing.

# PowerGoal105, MONUMENT TO DESTRUCTION, (Future): You kill the evil god Wolfram and take his hand from which he had pulled the life's blood of the earth and put it on the top of a scepter. You build a pyramid next to the great city which he had destroyed as a monument to the disaster. Each day, the pyramid casts a shadow on the ruins of the city on the hour of its destruction. The pyramid contains the scepter.

# PowerGoal109, LOVE OR WAR?, (Future): You take a wife and break your vow of celibacy to Markad, the god of war. Sulan, the god of the sea and fertility, sides with you and saves you from ultimate destruction, but Markad makes your hair turn white through the excruciating process of being in his angered presence.

# PowerGoal113, DIVINE INTERVENTION, (Future): You are playing goblin ball in the arena when your son yells "dad! dad! goal! goal!". Your son had been praying all day just so that you would win. Your kick is short, but the god Markad manifests and finishes the kick.

# PowerGoal125, SPEAR OF THE GODS, (Future): The gods of life and death have been at war since the beginning of time. The regions of the world are set in opposition, and creatures are occasionally born with affinity for one force or the other. You are born as a servant of death and claim the great barbed spear from the highest peak where it had sprung forth from the mutual hatred of the gods.

# PowerGoal135, JUST IN CASE, (Future): You kill a deer in order to survive, but realize that you have strayed into the Forgotten Forest. You quickly say a prayer to the spirit of the forest and hope that the spirit does not alert the elves to your transgression.

# PowerGoal139, A BATTERY OF AA MECHANICS, (Future): You receive the holy relic of Aa from a manifestation of the deity. You bring it to the Temple of Aa and set it on the altar. People dance as you chant the prayer of Aa. Word spreads quickly that a prophet of Aa has arisen, and the religion of Aa sweeps throughout the land.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 03:16:52 pm »

...No.

Though I'd like to see armok, I don't want to see Armok breaking a game that's already broken with traps.

Maybe in adventurer mode.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 10:27:17 pm »

It doesn't strike me as fitting with the game. One of the things that I've noticed is I've yet to see a dwarf that actually worships Armok, they all seem to worship random deities (as a side note, does each dwarf have a randomly generated deity or is there an established dwarvish pantheon).

Armok actually plays almost no role in the game currently. Something like this would have to come with a large revamp of the religious system, and likely wouldn't fit even then.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 12:26:58 am »

You're Armok.

Baldin Brewbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 04:00:22 am »

(as a side note, does each dwarf have a randomly generated deity or is there an established dwarvish pantheon).

Each Dwarven civilization has a pantheon generated for it.

Dobkeratops

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 01:04:58 pm »

I like the idea.  Give some sort of benifit to having each race in your fort, maybe their own special workshop or there ability to wield a certain weapon Dwarfs cant.  This could lead to 2 more things...

1. RACISM! im sure theres some dwarfs that wouldnt like having certain races hanging around taking their jobs.  It would also add an extra dimension to hiring your sheriff and town guard, as you wouldnt want them unfairly dishing out 'justice' if they held a particular grudge against a certain race.

2. CROSS BREEDING! cant even begin to think how hard that would be to code.  But it would actually give a decent reason to keep a child alive through to adulthood if you mated a dwarf and a pixie and they produced a dwarf with wings...

Its definatly n idea with scope

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 02:15:49 pm »

You're Armok.

so that's why you control the entire fortress
Hello Hunam

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 02:18:24 pm »

Actually, Toady has stated "you are the government of the dwarves in its official capacity"... so when nobles are doing their job, that's you, but when they make selfish mandates, that's outside of the official arena.
Pages: [1] 2