Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Non-generic statues!  (Read 7893 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-generic statues!
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2009, 10:40:26 am »

If you fill a noble's room with statues of a dwarf being struck down do you think he/she would get the message?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2009, 10:53:25 am »

I assume he wants the statues to not have any description at all, or be 100% controllable because he doesn't want to have to make hundreds of statues to get the exact one he wants someplace.

While I think I understand where he's coming from, the engravings having the descriptions, while the statues did not always seemed odd to me.  Besides, Toady is going to have to add more detailed descriptions to statues anyway to get them to portray the spoiler stuff the way he wants to.  This is just a placeholder.

Personally I like statues having more depth, and while I would like having more control over them eventually(never 100% control, that would be out of place) I'm not in a hurry.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2009, 10:59:20 am »

If you fill a noble's room with statues of a dwarf being struck down do you think he/she would get the message?
I use goblins in very nice cages to make nobles rooms more expensive.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2009, 11:02:22 am »

I have an anger problem, not an ego problem.  Also, my sense of humor is more like Lewis Blacks and doesnt transfer well to writing.  I guess I came off angrier than I was, I was just annoyed that I had to reiterate my post for someone who would rather have an argument about how I should have interpreted what he said.

I type caps sometimes for emphasis, not to shout.  I know I should use bold or italics tags, but Im lazy so I just hold shift.

Im really not that upset about the new statues, I even said it wasnt that big a deal.  Im just voicing my suggestions on it.  I love DF, and I love its randomness....but come on...the fun of the game doesnt lie in the stockpile management or the menu interface.  Am I really a pariah for pointing that out?
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2009, 11:15:30 am »

I have an anger problem, not an ego problem.  Also, my sense of humor is more like Lewis Blacks and doesnt transfer well to writing.  I guess I came off angrier than I was, I was just annoyed that I had to reiterate my post for someone who would rather have an argument about how I should have interpreted what he said.

I type caps sometimes for emphasis, not to shout.  I know I should use bold or italics tags, but Im lazy so I just hold shift.

Im really not that upset about the new statues, I even said it wasnt that big a deal.  Im just voicing my suggestions on it.  I love DF, and I love its randomness....but come on...the fun of the game doesnt lie in the stockpile management or the menu interface.  Am I really a pariah for pointing that out?

How aboot this.. Now call me crazy and tell me to go to hell at any point but..

How about we KEEP our own OPINIONS and agree to DISAGREE
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2009, 11:47:08 am »

Sounds good.

One thing I would like to add (that I was reminded of by another post) is that it's irritating making bone bolts from bones. I shove all the bones in an easy access stockpile and tell Urist Mclegendaryboltmaker to make bone bolts. he doesn't pick based on number of bolts, so he makes stacks out of those marmot bones that would be better spent on decorating or armour. Damn you non-specific orders!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2009, 12:54:01 pm »

Im really not that upset about the new statues, I even said it wasnt that big a deal.
Ah.  I wasn't sure whether to take the meltdown or the words more seriously.
Im just voicing my suggestions on it.
Understood.  No biggie then.
I love DF, and I love its randomness....but come on...the fun of the game doesnt lie in the stockpile management or the menu interface.  Am I really a pariah for pointing that out?
It was more the seeming meltdowns that bugged me.  I'll happily argue pros and cons when nobody's flipping out.  ;)

On the one hand, I think this is awesome.  I would build 10,000 statues just to see what crazy things they'd make, I make tons of statues anyway.  But then I'm the sort that goes around reading my engravings too.

It also seems to me you're trying to force dwarves to do things they don't "want" to do.  What we see here is not just a complete lack of control but a conflict of artistic tastes.  You want grand historic tableau's, but your king would just as soon fill his throne room with toad statues, and your mason likes gorillas...  Artists can only draw on their own inspiration, not yours, but it may be possible to meet them halfway.

The ability base art on the theme of an object, creature, or work of art would let you narrow in on what you want without ignoring the contribution of the artist and filling the menu with thousands of legends -- just pick an object with the X.  Tell her to carve something based on a certain dwarf and you might get a statue of him hugging a rat, shooting a goblin, being elected, dead(if the artist hates him enough), or threshing pigtails.  It'd be a lot more interesting than commissioning Heroic Looking Dwarf Guy Statue #35.

This could also work in a simpler way for annoying things like mini-forges.  You cannot order a stonecrafter to make mini-forges, just toys, but telling him to carve toys based off a masterpiece miniforge would get you only what you wanted.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:00:18 pm by Corona688 »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2009, 12:59:30 pm »

There are pages upon pages of this over in suggestions.  There's a pretty solid continuum of opinions, from being able to select exactly what you want, to selecting catagories, to the catagories being chosen by context, to the dwarf doing whatever he damn well pleases, and now to not having descriptions whatsoever. 

If I recall correctly, there was even a poll based on it, as well as someone who dug up all the dev comments on why things were the way they were.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2009, 01:01:39 pm »

I'm sure there are.  Any comments on my idea?

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2009, 01:10:32 pm »

I use goblins in very nice cages to make nobles rooms more expensive.

And I'm sure that lever right outside is just for decoration as well.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2009, 01:14:22 pm »

'Make a copy'?  It would solve a lot of paired items issues for symmetry.

It may be more in line with the existing method to 'make a pair' in the first place though.

My favorite solution is context based art, where you pick a context, and the artist takes it from there.  Engravings, the context was 'what room is this', whereas for statues... I'm not sure.

One thing to consider:  Unless you're the pope, when you want to commission art, you find a good artist who likes making the things you want.  Sure you go to the fruit guy and say 'I want a painting of an apple', but you don't commission George Rodrigue to paint you a green dog.  Same thing could work for your artists.  You can see their preferences, if you want masterwork square sculptures, train up a dwarf who likes squares.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2009, 01:15:48 pm »

Would someone without an ego problem please post? 

This is the internet. We're just one big ego.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2009, 02:24:41 pm »

It was more the seeming meltdowns that bugged me.  I'll happily argue pros and cons when nobody's flipping out.  ;)

Meltdowns?  Flipping out?

Wow.

Ive taken the liberty of replacing the capitalized words with words that were both bold and italicized.  I guess people get really offended when you use capital letters for quick and easy emphasis.
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2009, 02:34:31 pm »

I'M NOT FLIPPING OUT!

I'm not flipping out!

They both sound the same to me, silent.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2009, 02:45:08 pm »

There are pages upon pages of this over in suggestions.  There's a pretty solid continuum of opinions, from being able to select exactly what you want, to selecting catagories, to the catagories being chosen by context, to the dwarf doing whatever he damn well pleases, and now to not having descriptions whatsoever. 

If I recall correctly, there was even a poll based on it, as well as someone who dug up all the dev comments on why things were the way they were.

Im not saying no descriptions whatsoever, just that I would rather the interface for this type of thing be fleshed out and smoothed over before we add more random constructions.

How about the statues just have a different set of random objects than engravings?  Statues of squares and clouds or bloated tubers doesnt make sense to me. Hell...that never made sense for engravings either!

What about having two different types of statues, craft statues and Historical Statues.  Historical statues should always have random historical figures, or figures from the current fort.  Craft statues could still be random junk.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8