Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: cave-ins destroying items?  (Read 879 times)

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cave-ins destroying items?
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:11:22 pm »

How can I cause a cave-in to destroy stone? I'm mining out multiple z-levels for a project and the fortress has been crippled with low FPS. Can natural floors destroy items? If not then how can I destroy this damn stone without going into the raws and destroying it by boiling it?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cave-ins destroying items?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:13:40 pm »

Atom-smashing stone under a drawbridge is a traditional way of eliminating it.  This works for (most) creatures, too, but the problem is getting them UNDER there...

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 04:21:45 pm »

the problem is that I'm dealing with 100k stone right now... I can't just haul 100k stone :(

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 04:42:33 pm »

My gut feeling is that you're SOL. I only have around 27k stone, and 90 dwarves. I tried mass dumping of stone from one room (future tower-cap farm). Room was maybe 8000 squares - about 140 by 60. It was maybe 80% covered in stone, so probably no more than 6500 stone in the room. I gave up on trying to dump it all after a full year of hauling by 35 dedicated haulerdwarves... Got through maybe 3000.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 04:55:18 pm »

If you have access to magma and the ability to pump it around, you could try melting it - after enough time passes, the molten stone will cease to exist.

meanjeans: How far were you trying to haul the stone? If to another room, that could have certainly caused a mess, but having them all bring it to the center of the room (beneath a freshly built drawbridge in the "up" position) shouldn't have been that bad. Also, multiple dump points (within the room) might have made it feasible to allow all of your dwarfs to aid in the dumping.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 05:04:06 pm »

Hmm good ideas Quietust. I was having them haul it to my magma disposal (single) point dumping zone, about 30 tiles away from the entrance (or 200 tiles from the farthest point). Probably could have done that a lot quicker ;)

Thanks,

mj

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 10:57:17 pm »

Well I guess I'm gonna have to retool my fortress from rock salt to sylvite then change the raws to boil the rock salt. This is gonna suck, 90% of my stone crafts/tables/doors/mechanisms/whatever is rock salt. THE SHOW MUST GO ON

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 12:35:43 am »

The easiest way to get things into a trash disposal unit is to designate a dumping area next to a pit. Dorfs will automatically dump things over the edge, into your trash compactor/incinerator. A Dwarven Atom Smasher is probably the best way to go, since you can build one next to the stuff that needs dumping without pumping magma long distances.

+++++
+...+
+...+
+...+
+++++

╔===╗
║+++║
║+++║
║+++║
╚===╝

Just build a drawbridge in the pit, and link it to a lever.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 01:19:17 am »

My favourite way is to use catapults: Turn massive numbers of dwarves to siege operator only and place catapults near the largest stone concentrations. Let them fire into the wall.

My latest fortress uses this to destroy some stone and transport the rest to my stoneworks. Fun fun.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 01:30:43 am »

May I ask why you can't just let the stone sit there?

I think magma is your best bet if the stone MUST go.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 01:38:00 am »

the problem is that I'm dealing with 100k stone right now... I can't just haul 100k stone :(

Catapults and a free fire tunnel to magma.

Or a large atom smasher and quantum stone dumps - or more than one.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 04:48:57 am »

A little side question from me, would it be possible to have a catapult set up so that it shoots the stone down a corridor, and makes the stone land in a stone stockpile next to my masons? That would be even more efficient -and- more profitable then atomsmashers, magma, or organised cave-ins.

As for the OP's question, it is possible to destroy the stone with a cave-in from my knowledge, but only if there is a layer(Block, not just floor) of natural stone falling on top of the stone.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 05:39:04 am »

A little side question from me, would it be possible to have a catapult set up so that it shoots the stone down a corridor, and makes the stone land in a stone stockpile next to my masons?
Stone must fall, after a catapult flight, to be useful at the end.  (More or less.)  If you dig a channel in front of the wall that (most of) the stone hits, then in that channel you'll end up finding any such 'launched' stone as you have.  Similar solutions with raised drawbridges in the way, instead of a wall, also work as long as you have the same drop.

Whether you could designate the drop-zone as a stone-pile (make it accessible via stairs/ramps, if you want your stone-using workshops on the 'launch' level) or it would always want to be moved 1:1 with stockpile space and you might as well let them drag it a short distance to the 'existing stockpiles is something you might want to try out.

Personally, I build masonry buildings in the midst of a 'stone farm', and churn out blocks/items of the desired material from there (it's a pain that you can't use the vanilla job manager to say "a throne of RHYOLITE, please!", or "I need thirty Chalk blocks, and could you please mark them as reserved those for building purposes?"... I know there are tools that will let you do this, though), then have to working out the subsequent hauling logistics accordingly (oh yeah "blocks, rock, alunite" would also be a useful extension on the stockpiles customisation, though I'd be surprised if it hadn't been suggested already).

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 11:03:22 am »

Just build drawbridges, restrict the rooms and pull the lever :)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 11:29:27 am »

Just build drawbridges, restrict the rooms and pull the lever :)

Don't think that'll work quite as expected, since your dorf won't build the drawbridge until the build area has been cleared of items (which will take a lot longer due to the 'cleanup' being done only by the builder).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2