Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do with my artifact furniture...  (Read 1368 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with my artifact furniture...
« on: July 14, 2009, 07:34:01 pm »

I have most of my artifact furniture on display in the throne room of our (un)beloved, departed king.  I'm getting kind of bored with that though.

My nobles have legendary rooms, so those leeches aren't getting it!

If I put it in the entrance hall, will random dwarves get happy thoughts from seeing it?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with my artifact furniture...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 07:35:46 pm »

You could put it in your dining room to further increase the happy thoughts generated by it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:37:10 pm »

I'll bet his dining room is already legendary. Its REALLY easy to get legendary dining rooms.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 07:45:05 pm »

Way I understand it, it's not just about your dining room being legendary. Dwarves will hang out there a lot and will hence be exposed to whatever you put there.

Granted, getting your dining room to legendary is laughably easy; a dining room with impressive furniture however, will not only generate thoughts like "dined in a legendary dining room lately" but also "admired a completely sublime well lately" and the like.

I'm a bit hazy about the details, though. Off the top of my head it would seem as though a dwarf could only get one "admired (...)" thought at a time. If that's true, it would make sense to put only the best shit in your dining room, even though its "legendary" status might suggest this to be redundant.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 07:51:23 pm »

Way I understand it, it's not just about your dining room being legendary. Dwarves will hang out there a lot and will hence be exposed to whatever you put there.

Granted, getting your dining room to legendary is laughably easy; a dining room with impressive furniture however, will not only generate thoughts like "dined in a legendary dining room lately" but also "admired a completely sublime well lately" and the like.

I'm a bit hazy about the details, though. Off the top of my head it would seem as though a dwarf could only get one "admired (...)" thought at a time. If that's true, it would make sense to put only the best shit in your dining room, even though its "legendary" status might suggest this to be redundant.

My dorfs only go to the dining room when they need to eat, as I don't have it set as a meeting hall. I do the cheesy 1 tile meeting area zone so everyone gets mad fast stat increases through social skill exp.
YAY for legendary comedian etc after a few years.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:33:40 pm »

Several legendary dining halls actually.  I didn't design for 220 dwarves and had to make more rooms.

On a related topic, most of my dwarves are happy, yet complain of thirst and lack of dining tables.  Is this from not having them close enough to other things?  There is a vast store of booze and more than enough tables in my fortress.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 08:43:37 pm »

I think that if you don't have half as many tables as dwarves, then they will get the "lack of tables" thought (not confirmed), and if your dwarves keep getting knocked down due to too small hallways and such, then they might not be able to get to the booze immediately, so they will get the unhappy thought.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 09:20:14 pm »

The "lack of tables" thought is when a dwarf uses a table to eat but has no chair.

Eating requires one table and one chair, so do not have two chairs using the same table.  A dwarf will also have this thought if it has a private office but no private dining room.  The dwarf will try to use the office to eat but since there is no table there, it gets an unhappy thought.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 09:53:46 pm »

The "lack of tables" thought is when a dwarf uses a table to eat but has no chair.

Eating requires one table and one chair, so do not have two chairs using the same table.  A dwarf will also have this thought if it has a private office but no private dining room.  The dwarf will try to use the office to eat but since there is no table there, it gets an unhappy thought.

I always just stick a table next to the chair in said dorf's office so I don't get that complaint

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 04:16:58 am »

My dorfs only go to the dining room when they need to eat...

Which is 2x/season or so - plenty to grab a good thought regularly.

If you have a main hall or grand doorway that connects traffic areas, you could put the furniture there, where they're all sure to pass by it - that could work too. 

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 08:35:29 am »

Stick it in trafficked areas. When people pass it, they'll get a happy thought.

Or stick it outdoors for invaders to admire.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 02:33:38 pm »

I think when dwarves are dining, they are kinda stubborn when it comes to noticing stuff. You could, however, build another room, stick the artifact furniture in there, and lay a meeting zone activity zone over that room. I guess idlers will notice stuff that way. If you put that somewhere in such a fashion that they have to travel through the dining room to reach/leave it, you'd be maximizing efficiency.

I assume there ARE waterfalls in your dining hall?  ;D

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 02:44:05 pm »

I always just stick a table next to the chair in said dorf's office so I don't get that complaint

I'm having that exact thought even though all my offices have tables in them. It looks as though a table didn't count as part of an office, which is fucking silly. By that logic, they'd have to complain about an analogous lack of chairs in their dining room.

On a related note: as I said before, each time I check a dwarf's thoughts there isn't more than one mention of them admiring something.

Have you noticed something similar, or are you actually getting several thoughts of that nature at a time? Because if there's a max of one "admired" thought, that would make going over the top with expensive furniture an exercise in futility.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:49:16 pm by assimilateur »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 03:09:18 pm »

I'm having that exact thought even though all my offices have tables in them. It looks as though a table didn't count as part of an office, which is fucking silly. By that logic, they'd have to complain about an analogous lack of chairs in their dining room.

You have to define the table as a dining room, and the chair as an office, since dining rooms are defined from tables instead of chairs, and vice versa for the offices. As far as I know, nobles get no negative thoughts from using a chair for two purposes.
This dovetails nicely into my habit of giving a noble one room, consisting of his dining room, office, bedroom, and tomb all in one, saving on floor space.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 03:30:19 pm »

I see how that would work, but it doesn't change anything about it being ridiculous. Also, I'll give my guys separate dining rooms soon enough and that should fix it without having needlessly overlapping rooms.

EDIT:

About only getting one "admired" thought: it seems as though there is a limit of one "admired" and one "admired own" each at any given time. Can anyone confirm this?

I find this strange because it certainly is possible to have more than one drink-related thought at a time.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:24:36 pm by assimilateur »
Pages: [1] 2