Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: D&D3.5 - Empty Bellies  (Read 14217 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
D&D3.5 - Empty Bellies
« on: July 11, 2009, 07:23:27 am »

Setting

The old world was gripped by war, ridden by strife and the misuse of magic.  Civilisations that had stood for millenia shook at their foundations with the power unleashed by the mage-states as legion upon legion crashed.  At last, the force of the spells became too much for the world to bear and all creation began to crumble away into fire and oblivion.

Nobody knows who summoned the gates, whether it was the gods or an enclave of mages, or simply that the power sparked in the inevitable confontation between Ironblood and Morul tore holes in the very fabric of reality, but everywhere small rifts began to appear in the growing darkness, showing promise of a green world beyond.

Faced with the choice of destruction, you chose life and stepped through the gate.

You found yourself on the crest of a rolling hill, grassy plateaus and expansive hardwood forests below.  You have nothing on you but the clothes you wore and the equipment you carried when you stepped through the gate.  Looking around to gather your bearings, you see two other people on the hill, similarly confused by their surroundings.

-------------

There are currently no available slots.

So for the sake of avoiding difficulties setting up, the rules are thus:

1.  You need to be at least passingly familiar with Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition.  4th Edition is all very well, but it doesn't do non-combat situations successfully, and I personally am not familiar with AD&D (2nd Ed).

2.  The party maximum is four.  Play can begin once three full characters are accepted, but only four will play at a time.  When someone dies, they are (unless you are very lucky and the circumstances exist for resurrection) dead.  Their slot becomes open to the next person to submit a character sheet of the average party level (rounded down).

3.  Slots are first come, first serve, but I will only count completed character sheets as valid.  See post below for an example of a valid character sheet.  In other words, if you want to play, post a completed character sheet.

4.  Everyone starts at level 1 at the beginning of the campaign.

Campaign Specifics

Everyone starts with a maximum of 50gp in equipment, unless they take the Aristocrat NPC class, in which case they can start with 250gp's worth of equipment.  Commoners start with 10gp of equipment, if you are feeling masochistic.

Every additional level (for those starting later in the game), add 100gp to the equipment total.

Much of the campaign emphasis will be on simply surviving the new world, both its natural and civilised dangers.  How low-magic the game promises to be will depend on the events of the game, but I am warning you now that it will be low-loot.  Wits and skill are going to be more important than items, and being able to use treasure you might not normally consider to be treasure may net you more rewards.

I like to torture spellcasters.  That's a lie, but things are going to be as difficult for magic users as they are for equipment-monkeys. 

If you are a cleric, your connection to the old gods is gone.  You will need to find a way to make a link with what, if any, divine forces exist here.

If you are a wizard, you are right out of luck.  Unless you can successfully find another wizard or source of arcane text to learn from, you will need to set up your own lab to research new spells.

If you are a sorcerer, you are also right out of luck.  Unless you can successfully make pacts with supernatural beings able to grant you power, you cannot advance to new spell levels.

If you are a druid, you follow a similar restriction in that the natural forces of this world are unknown to you.  You will need to perform certain (dangerous) rites to advance to new spell levels.

If you are a bard, you have things (relatively easy).  You just need to gain sufficient Prestige to advance spell levels.  More on that later, but it will probably be along these lines.  You can access a spell level for every 2 Prestige you have (level 0 is free, but you will need 2 Prestige just to get level 1 spells).  You start with 1 Prestige for being a bard.

Rangers and Paladins, you follow the same rules as for Druids and Clerics where magic is concerned.

Tips:

- Do not always run into conflicts.  Remember that healing may be limited and that resurrection is pretty much out of the question.  You are in Roguelike territory now.

- As such, it is okay to back down.  Survival is more important than victory.

- It will go better for you if you extend that same grace to your enemies.  Unless they are likely to prove a future threat, granting mercy when you do not need to kill someone will increase the likelihood of the same being extended to you in the future.

- Do not assume that everything works as it did in the Old World (i.e. standard fantasy).  Remember who your DM is.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:57:57 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D3.5 - Signups
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 07:24:22 am »

Plot Summary

The party found itself cast into the strange new world at the small hill of Origin Point.  They quickly banded together and, happening upon the tracks of a local beast, have gone in search of it for the sake of food and supplies.

Sample Sheet

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://www.d20srd.org

Active Characters

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:37:32 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:38:31 am »

Arent you screwing everyone but Barbarians and Fighters and Monks?

Kinda unbalancing it.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 08:50:54 am »

As far as my limited understanding of DnD goes, spellcasters are more or less overpowered, especially later on. They should have a very very difficult start now, perhaps slightly too much...
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 08:56:28 am »

I say we have:

Fighter
Barbarian
Cleric
Bard

Ill be bard.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 09:15:18 am »

Org as the charismatic bard? I guess that means Org's the most diplomatic one. You're all going to die violently. (No offense Org, but from what I've seen, your diplomacy tends to involve more dakka.)  :P

The setting looks fun. I'd join, but that wouldn't be fair to anyone else who wants to play since I'm already in the other D&D game, although If you still don't have three within 48 hours I won't feel bad about trying to join.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 09:19:09 am »

Actually, I'm unbalancing Fighters more than Barbarians and Barbarians more than Monks (who, as an already overpowered class, have a major advantage now), because each class relies on successively less equipment advantage than the one before.

But since spellcasters aren't as equipment-dependent as Fighters, the penalties for them are in place with the same intent.

Essentially, I've cautiously nerfed everyone.  (Except Monks, for whom I will have to think up something special, given how much monks annoy me.)

Also, you're only accepted into the game once I have a valid character sheet from you.  To make things even more unpleasant, we're going to use the 3d6 rule of stat development.  I will post six arrays of stats for you to choose from, first come, first served.

Why are you doing this?

The less powerful your characters are, the more excitement comes from surviving 'low-level' encounters.  As such, the less power creep I have to worry about.  It is the actions and reactions of the players and their characters that makes the game, not how powerful those characters or their opponents are (as a whole, relative power does count for a lot).

Str 8  Dex 9  Con 11  Int 10  Wis 10  Cha 12

Str 9  Dex 7  Con 13  Int 14  Wis 7  Cha 9

Str 8  Dex 8  Con 12  Int 14  Wis 16  Cha 13

Str 10  Dex 10  Con 9  Int 13  Wis 6  Cha 9

Str 12  Dex 9  Con 11  Int 8  Wis 7  Cha 13

Str 10  Dex 12  Con 4  Int 7  Wis 11  Cha 15

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 10:58:32 am »

Are we doing 3 d6 stats from S to CH?
Like in mine?

And I can be diplomatic.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:06:52 am by Org »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 11:40:21 am »

And will it just be going through dungeons and the like?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 12:13:12 pm »

Yes, just 3d6 stats, arbitrarily assigned as they're rolled.

And not so much 'going through dungeons' as 'finding yourself lost in a completely unfamiliar world, with your old one having been destroyed'.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:16:40 pm by Iituem »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 12:20:18 pm »

So can we make home and try to live instead of dungeon adventuring?

Edit:Can I roll for myself and do I get a reroll if they arent good?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 12:24:03 pm »

Why would I ride a world?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 12:27:24 pm »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 12:29:17 pm »

Setting

The old world was gripped by war, ridden by strife and the misuse of magic. 

I still haven't played any sort of D&D, so I can't join. I still found it amusing though.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 12:31:08 pm »

Only a handful ever knew that the destruction of the old world was a direct result of a magical saddle by which Strife could ride the world to oblivion.

...okay, maybe not.  Yes, your characters goals take precedence here.  As with all worthwhile things, you will have to earn them.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13