Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Discussion of the Might and Magic games being made by Ubisoft  (Read 1150 times)

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to see what everyone's opinion on the two games that are being created by Ubisoft under the Might and Magic series.  Sorry to disappoint all those expecting one of these to be along the lines of the sixth heroes game, but these games from what I see are going to be having a different style of game play.

For all those who don't know what games I'm talking about, I am referring to:

Heroes of Might and Magic Kingdoms
Link: http://hommkingdoms.uk.ubi.com/

Which is supposed to be like an MMO version of Heroes of Might and Magic V.

and

Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes

Link: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/07/hands-on-might-and-magic-clash-of-heroes/

Which I'm thinking is a RPG for the DS if I am correct.

From the look of these two games, I can't make heads or tails on whether or not the Might and Magic series is going to continue after these.  Do you think these games will be a great addition to the series, or do you think they should just continue making games like the original Might and Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion of the Might and Magic games being made by Ubisoft
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 01:51:25 pm »

From the look of these two games, I can't make heads or tails on whether or not the Might and Magic series is going to continue after these.  Do you think these games will be a great addition to the series, or do you think they should just continue making games like the original Might and Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic?

Good question...either way, HoMM 3. was pretty awesome. Part 4. and 5. sucked imo.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was very good however. [It's a hack and slash FPS/TPS.]

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 02:05:53 pm »

Whaaaat, how do you make an MMO out of HOMM D:
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 02:13:27 pm »

Looks like it's just yet-another-browser-game :/

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 02:18:49 pm »

Oh, eff that.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 02:22:05 pm »

Well, apparently they changed the combat from you moving units around and attacking to what I think is a rock, paper, scissor form of combat.  They pretty much made every unit as cavalry, infantry, or range.  Don't get me wrong, they still have all the units from HoMMV, but they simplified combat.

Link: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9761084616/m/3771071916
^ Better source of info from developers.

To be truthful I liked HoMM4, it still was a fun game even though you could just create a party of heroes and run around killing things.  4 and 5 could of been better though, which I think could have been somewhat achieved if they used the random map generator from Heroes 3.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 03:33:59 am »

I was very, very, very let down by Heroes 4. My personal opinion is that it was not only unfinished (which was obvious since there were "features" that would only get activated after a patch), but it made a sloppy work of trying to implement into HoMM features from other games (namely: MoM, AoW), but in such a sloppy manner that they made the game worse instead of better.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 04:12:52 am »

HoMM5 isn't that bad of a game, it has some neat concepts (the skill system, for example, is genial), but it lacked horribly in AI and lacks a bit in other regions. There are too few spells, the graphics don't quite have the flair of, say, HoMM3, the number of heroes is slightly low and they ditched the might/magic split there (sadface), there are very few good maps, and it simply takes too damn long to wait for the AI making its stupid moves. HoMM3 was a neat game, even if it was a little bland sometimes (too many generic monsters, a few superfluous heroes, the what-the-heck conflux as a makeshift replacement for a fully-blown scifi town which would have been awesome)
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 05:43:45 am »

Ubisoft seems to be trying it's damnedest to become EA, except that they seem to have forgotten to do the part where they buy out and dismantle every good developer they can get their hands on... So at least there's that.

Makes me sad, because I really liked BGaE, but the way things are going, the sequel is likely to turn out as a half assed sci fi PoP clone.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:46:28 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 11:58:25 am »

Ubisoft seems to be trying it's damnedest to become EA, except that they seem to have forgotten to do the part where they buy out and dismantle every good developer they can get their hands on... So at least there's that.

Makes me sad, because I really liked BGaE, but the way things are going, the sequel is likely to turn out as a half assed sci fi PoP clone.

They can't be EA, Activision's already become EA. There can be only one!!

So what I'm suggesting is a fight to the death