Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you feel about the Magic School Sim/roguelike idea?

I like it.
- 8 (40%)
Nice!  It should have (write suggestion)
- 0 (0%)
mmm... I've seen this somewhere...
- 0 (0%)
Awesome!
- 3 (15%)
Sounds interesting.
- 4 (20%)
Nah...
- 5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Simple Game Project. (STAGE: on hold. Learning OpenGl)  (Read 11413 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can I join? I've learned java...

Your suggestions seem too complicated and involve alot of speaking and controll.

They're nice but they don't fit your thread title, which we should stick with.

What about a Legend of Zelda style game?
We would probably have terrible top-down perspective, but thats ok.

Also, I really like Aquizzers idea.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

I don't think that talking is going to be that hard, it's just a lot of work to program all the different options. However, most of the less important conversations can probably be handeled by adjusting some general values that indicate how much someone likes you, how intimidating you are to that person et cetera ad nauseum.

Oh before I forget it, I'm using Code::Blocks as my compiler
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:45:35 am by Virex »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mostly just posting so I can keep track of this thread but I do a lot of work in games so if I get any spare time (this side of the next millennium) I'll help out. C++ is my prefered language and unittest++ is my prefered unit testing setup.

As to compilers, I used to use dev studio when I released two (very small) games but mostly I'm using code::blocks under ubuntu these days.

Various openGL engine fun and different AI techniques within the worlds I make are mostly what I play with these days.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

ID: A Day in the Life of an Infernal Monstrosity.
Theme: Life in Hell. Screw with humans on Earth, whilst politicising your way up the ranks until you may replace Satan, or whatever.
Type: Probably RPG/Puzzler.
Why it's fun: Primarily, the novelty of having power over things on Earth, entirely so you can swell your ego (and office) in Hell. Secondarily, if done right, it could be damned funny (pun intended.)
Expansion: You either start out as some kind of imp, or a damned soul- this would requitre some fluff about Hell being less a place of punishment, and more like the ultimate evil-based Capitalist society- the worse you are, the better you are, and damned souls aren't bound in punishment forever, but can excel by being particularly Magnificent Bastards. Being Hell, the place would probably be full of comedians (All jokes make fun of somebody, except most puns) which may or may not affect stuff- perhaps, given that it's something of an etheral realm, thoughts could create realities, so all kinds of memes and jokes are repeatedly being performed on the streets. You could potentially begin a flood or suchlike in some low-lying city on Earth, just to flood a rival's workplace with thousands of the Damned to process. Strong themes of hell as a beauracracy.

That's all for now, but I reckon it could go somewhere.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com

I like the apocalyptic ideas.  My personal take on that:

Post Apocalptic Vegetable Gardener

Plant a garden, raise a family, protect your children from packs of wild dogs, provide yourself with calories, and keep the drifters away from your daughter!

All set in a lovely little random generated corner of the destroyed world.

(think first person shooter with a shovel)
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

FPS: First person shovler!

But seriously I say we'd need to start choosing an idea soon.

What I sugest is that we cut this mennacing task up in several pieces:

What kind of game do we want?
RTS? FPS? Rougle-like? Scroling? TBS?

What setting are we talking about?
Steampunk? Post-apocalyptic? High fanatsy? Stonepunk?

How will the game develop?
Storyline? Quests? Missions? Character development?

What kind of presentation are we aiming for?
Curses? 2D sprites? Vector based? How much procedural generation do we use? How much needs to be done by hand?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile

I can help brainstorming.

What should I  be thinking about?

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile

Cel-shaded Clockpunk, TF2 styles cel shaded that is, not the horrible sort.

:3

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia

Keep it flowing guys...
I can help brainstorming.

What should I  be thinking about?
Anything you want... You can use the guidelines to make it more clear.  Any idea for a game (You might want to consider that it will probably not involve graphics unless it's menu based).

We should end this stage on Friday so if you have any more ideas... bring them in!!

We'll do a selection process then, taking into account resources, difficulties, fun, etc, etc...

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Game Project. (BRAINSTORMING STAGE Until Friday) Last warning!
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2009, 03:55:03 pm »

Okay.

Not sure how possible it is...but
ID:not sure yet
Theme:Fantasy
Type:RPGish, Wizards
Why Its Fun: Random spells, if doable
Expansion: Rogue like. Play a wizards. Hopefully random spells with random effects.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:34:41 pm by Org »

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Game Project. (BRAINSTORMING STAGE Until Friday) Last warning!
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2009, 04:51:17 pm »

I've been away in a blietzkrieg trip...  :P

I haven't forgotten about this. 

I'll post tomorrow and I'll get moving with this.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:38:29 pm by Alexhans »

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well... I'm here...

I'm writing down my answer's to Virex question's and also my opinions on what we should do and how.

Meanwhile...

I opened an IRC channel in:
Server: irc.globalgamers.net
Channel: #simplegame

so anyone who wants to discuss about what we should do in Real time is welcome to do so.  Logs will be kept so we don't lose track of the discussion.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What kind of game do we want?
RTS? FPS? Rougle-like? Scroling? TBS?

I would prefer a game that favours thinking over reflexes.  So I’d say a roguelike or a TBS.  Note that it may perfectly be a menu based game.

What setting are we talking about?
Steampunk? Post-apocalyptic? High fanatsy? Stonepunk?

That’s really up to the idea we choose.

How will the game develop?
Storyline? Quests? Missions? Character development?

Storyline games are harder to pull if you have to design and build each “step” of the game than others that use a pseudorandom approach to present different stages of difficulty as a path.
Quests is mainly assuming roguelikes, right?  They’re an easy way to entertain the player.  To give him a purpose.
Again, missions depend of how you think of them.  If we design every mission on it’s own then it’s gonna take a lot of work but they will be unique.  The other, better (in my opinion), approach is to make a generic structure that contains different characteristics that we may toy with at ease to create different experiences each time.  This type of procedural design might be hard to pull off but it will surely pay.
Character development is a fun and important thing in this roguelikes but I don’t think it should be the main goal or it’ll turn into a boring burden.  Make him stronger/faster/whatever by doing task 1 x number of times until your boredom beats your interest and you quit the game forever.

What kind of presentation are we aiming for?
Curses? 2D sprites? Vector based? How much procedural generation do we use? How much needs to be done by hand?

I’d say that we should use curses for a roguelike for it’s easy way to handle ASCII.  While using a library like Opengl might be a good trait it would depend on fewer people to and would be bound to delays if said people is unable to code.

I think that in case we write mainly a menu-based game then we would be able to use a graphics library.

Procedural generation must be an important part of our project because it’s what gives replayability to the kind of games we are attemting to make.  Choices

Other thoughts:
Something we have to avoid in a roguelike is an excessive amount go get that item and come back so I can give you another item quests, ad eternum. :P

All input is welcome.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

Well, if you're set on using ASCII (and there's nothing wrong with that), a roguelike or Might and Magic style RPG is pretty much all you can make.  I suppose a scrolling shooter or strategy game is just possible, but would be a titanic load of work, and probably easier to start from a different direction.  Actually, with DF style graphic tiles and mouse support, a TBS is doable.  But that's a whole other discussion compared to this.

So let's say roguelike.  You've neglected the all-important point of defining the game mechanics, which ideally the setting would inspire, but must ultimately be subservient to.

Lemme tell ya, first things must be first.  Don't worry about all that big stuff of story vs quests or such until you have a functioning game to implement them on.  Yes, game ideas work best when you actually have a game theory to work towards.  But you don't want to get ahead of yourself and bite off more than you can chew.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So let's say roguelike.  You've neglected the all-important point of defining the game mechanics, which ideally the setting would inspire, but must ultimately be subservient to.
Ok.  I'm at a loss as to what should go first. 

Because if we are not definite in what idea we are going to implement then we can not decide how are we gonna develop the game mechanics.

Once we know what we want to do then we can start thinking how.  I wanted to go through this choosing stage considering the mechanics in a vague way to see if the game is has an adequate difficulty level for us.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10