Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: stopping champions from rending recruits limb from limb  (Read 7909 times)

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
stopping champions from rending recruits limb from limb
« on: July 05, 2009, 07:06:45 am »

so many ways to do it, yet each with differing levels of effectiveness

i have an elite speardwarf, and another soon to be elite, both have steel/iron armour and silver spears, and when they become heroes they shall have iron spears.

possible solutions to this problem include making the new recruits wrestlers to beef up their stats but still, accidents happen, and it increases the time taken to get their chosen weapon skill up (as to what weapon ill give you a hint, my military dwarves who use melee weapons go by the name of hoplites)

apart from keeping them on permenant duty (which=unhappiness in the long term and lots of micro in the longer term) is there any way to stop these mighty heroes from sparring with my new recruits?(e.g, tool/script)

Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: stopping champions from rending recruits limb from limb
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 07:40:55 am »

is there any way to stop these mighty heroes from sparring with my new recruits?(e.g, tool/script)

Sure just assign them to live in different Burrows.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 08:16:38 am »

You could station the two elite in their own sparring room, place some alcohol, food, and beds in the same area, make sure the two are the only ones in the area, and lock the door.

It should work.

Not to mention the student-mentor thing adding a level of awesomeness.

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 09:01:32 am »

its wierd, one of them has max agility, level 1 strength and nothing else, and the other has decent stats across the board

but yeah, making private barrack's looks to be the best option

the max agil unit cant be assigned to do some mining, so i might cross-train him in axes seeing as he likes those
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 10:17:29 am »

My training 'accidents' have dropped to nothing since I started putting out plate-mail to be worn over the chainmail they already had.

Before 40d#, I used Dwarf Companion to keep an eye on wounds so I could cycle them in and out of training with good survival rates, but there was always the chance for one of the elites to pull of a mortal-kombat finishing move and rip out a spine or the like.

Man, Champions are flipping scary as hell when you think about it like that.
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 10:32:53 am »

Sure just assign them to live in different Burrows.
Burrows haven't been implemented yet.

Do dwarves need to be off-duty for a certain period of time before the bad thought stops accumulating, or would taking them off-duty for a few ticks once a season (since the game announces season changes, it's a handy timer) be enough to keep the duty-related thoughts to a low hum?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 11:38:45 am »

when i trained my 14 soldiers, i first trained unarmed, then once they hit elite wrestler, i gave them non-quality silver weapons.

each time 1 went to elite wrestler, i immediately took him out of the squad, put him in a elite-only squad, and put them on duty. that way, the nubs kept training w/o chance of breakage.

once they all hit elite, i gave them weapons, put them back in. the only diff is they still train wrestling, so once 1 hit champion, same thing - take them out, let the others keep on. i ended up with 6-7 champions and 7-8 elites, with slightly better than average weapon stats. it doesn't matter how good they are with weapons, they are all in masterful-exceptional plate with shields, and their weapons are all masterful, so even if they don't hit well the bonus multipliers with their block ability and dodge should be enough to protect them.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 12:40:59 pm »

Higher skill doesn't mean that they will kill recruits more often. Recruits are the dangerous ones!

The higher the weapon skill, the higher the chance of a "hit." For sparring, this means a non-damaging hit. A recruit with 0 weapon skill has a very high chance of doing damage with the weapon.

Champions just tend to be mostly immune to the consequences because their dodge/block is so high. Recruits don't have the very high dodge/block, so they can't avoid the damage.

You can get around this by having your military spar with blunt weapons. Maces and hammers may occasionally break a few bones, but its nearly impossible to have a dwarf killed in a sparring accident. Piercing weapons are the dangerous things, as they can damage internal organs.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 02:09:22 pm »

I don't know whether I'm lucky or weird, but i have only had 1 sparring accident in 4 forts, and the victim was already legendary.

My training and recruiting go like this:

1. I wait have enough about (7-10) peasants, or peasants and useless soap/cheese makers that i can spare.

2. Next, i choose those useless dwarfs that have been in the fortress the longest, as they often has more agility of strength, from hauling stuff, etc.

3. Get my leather maker to make leather armour for them. Set them to wear it.

4. get smith to make chainmail, and shields. Set them to wear those, too.

5. Let recruits spar till legendary or elite. This takes surprisingly little time.

6. Smith plate mail for everyone, and iron weapons (i can never find silver) Equip everyone.

7. let them spar as usual. I have never had a recruit injured using this, even when recruits are sparring against legendaries.

I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 12:31:36 am »

Matty: You're probably just lucky with the injuries, not to mention good with armouring them promptly. My recruits generally just get told to wrestle up 'till champion, then maybe get leather :D

Incidentally, silver is most commonly found in metamorphic layers- Granite springs to mind, check the wiki for others.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 01:47:09 am »

Matty: You're probably just lucky with the injuries, not to mention good with armouring them promptly. My recruits generally just get told to wrestle up 'till champion, then maybe get leather :D

Steel chain and plate from head to toe seem to invite no lasting injuries.  If you are short, then 4 steel is a helmet and plate armour, enough to protect the head/spine/organs - if they break an arm or leg, that'll mend.  3 more steel is chain armour and a cap, for layering up that extra insurance. 

Bronze is about half the value.  If you have iron but no flux that's better, and you have my sympathies.  8)

Incidentally, silver is most commonly found in metamorphic layers- Granite springs to mind, check the wiki for others.

Tetrahedrite can be found anywhere and another solid source for silver, unless you're overwhelmed by the need for billon.  I like to bring some and/or galena on embark.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 01:50:22 am »

crap, I end up killing more of my dwarves early on than anything else, including the rare kobold assault, although they REALLY suck :p
Demon of Darkness

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 04:47:17 am »

I generally armor my dwarves up from the beginning so they can rank up in armor user and shield user while they wrestle. Once they are all legendary wrestlers I give them axes or hammers and let them rank up in that.

I get the occasional sparring injury, but it's very rare. I've had only a few deaths, a couple of suffocations and one guy got knocked through the hole in the middle of my spiral staircase that went all the way from the top z layer to the very bottom. Splat.
This is to make me recognizable.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 03:01:09 pm »

I have had very good results with Iron chain armor over leather armor and a few wrestler levels. They've been playing with legendary axedwarfs and only one death no injuries. To be fair that death was a novice wrestler immigrant that I don't think I had made armor for yet.

Most of the time the recruits mix it up with elite axe/hammer dwarfs wearing only leather armor and never get injured at all. Add Iron chain just to be safe. Wood/Silver/Copper weapons help too, but mine are usually iron since it's easier to find.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 03:17:17 pm »

Any time I mix champion sparring with recruit training, even in full plate armor, the recruits usually end up with a fatal wound to the heart or a ripped out throat. I realized the problem was that I was letting the champions spar with their weapons, thinking that since they were legendary in their weapon skills they'd be able to avoid gutting the new recruits.

So I decided to set the champions to wrestle, and there were no further injuries.

So if you want to avoid having your elites run the recruits through, have them drop their weapons temporarily as they spar. They can pick them up on their way out to defend the fortress.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: [1] 2 3