Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Falling 42 stories to your death  (Read 5272 times)

Angellus

Re: Falling 42 stories to your death
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2009, 03:54:03 pm »

True, I already know about the canyon suspicions.
They doubt however that Mars ever had anything more as bacteria on it.

Where was the water found? Deep, deep below the surface in frozen form not?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2009, 03:55:08 pm »

I said we've yet to do underground searches. But we found water in the polar ice caps. Frozen water.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Angellus

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2009, 03:57:45 pm »

Wicked, then we only need the technology to get there and set up ^^

Probably send some spores there to let plants clean up a bit first though.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2009, 04:00:55 pm »

Intergalatic *bzzt* *buzz*  Intergalatic.

*starts dancing*

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2009, 09:43:13 pm »

Intergalatic *bzzt* *buzz*  Intergalatic.

*starts dancing*
You want some Intergalactic Plasma-guided Anti-matter powered Ballistic Missiles?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2009, 07:52:06 am »

I'm sure you mean H2O.
Try H2O for size.  8)

Well in that case, it does exist. On the polar ice caps. It's H2O alright. Just not liquid.
Apart from the stuff that's CO2, just not gas.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2009, 08:37:31 am »

NASA found water ice on Mars.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2009, 09:10:45 am »

NASA found water ice on Mars.
And on the moon.  (Can't remember if it was Clementine or the Lunar Prospector, that deteced it, but it was before SMART1, IIRC.  Of course, it's not entire caps-worth, but could be worth a landing nearby as/when[1] we go there.)

[1] A couple of decades ago I was discussing this with a group of like-minded individuals, playing "higher/lower" with estimates of when various space landmarks would occur.  After a couple of rounds I decided to plump for making a "neither" argument, when the return to moon target had been adjusted to 2019.  My reasoning: if they hadn't already gone back (and there was scepticism about that, at the time of the exercise) and it wasn't totally impossible (e.g. end of world, or at least the collapse of the US economy and Russia not being bothered any more [sic, and I don't think we appreciated China's future involvement in manned space flight]), then the 50th anniversary would be a deliberate target to aim for.

Right now, I think it's too much up in the air (or vacuum, as the case may be) whether or not the next ten years will see the required fulfillment of advances/political willpower.  We can't even take Obama's attitude as an indicator, given it'll be at least one President after him who will be 'in charge' at that point, who might say "stuffit, let's not".[/1]

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2009, 10:47:54 am »

I'm just posting the facts.  I know that advanced Mars life was never there (you could prove me wrong), but I think having a Mars colony would be cool.  The whole "water" thing is just something so scientist can continue their real projects.  It's for the public I believe, there is hidden depth.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2009, 12:28:44 pm »

I quite liked the whole "looking for a sign of chlorophyl on Mars" thing, on a previous surveyor mission.  Not because they thought that there'd be any, but if there had been any and they hadn't even tried to look for it they'd have felt very stupid.  (Heavily paraphrased.)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2009, 03:30:51 pm »

This just in: yesterday I jumped off a 3-story tower into a lake, and the fall took a LONG time. Based on this, I can confirm that falling 42 stories to your death would blow ass.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2009, 04:48:34 pm »

This just in: yesterday I jumped off a 3-story tower into a lake, and the fall took a LONG time. Based on this, I can confirm that falling 42 stories to your death would blow ass.

Perception != reality. We've proven that amount of perceived is different from the actual amount of time.

Unless of course, you timed it. In which case, we want the actual measurements. [citation needed] as usual.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]