Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gahhhhhhh  (Read 1216 times)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
Gahhhhhhh
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:39:00 pm »

I just found out the hard way that cave-ins travel through NATURAL floors, as well as constructed ones :'(

Half my fort just traveled down 6 z levels, killing two dwarves and making my five remaining dwarves very unhappy due to losing their friends, cats, choking on dust, and being knocked out by a cave-in
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Gahhhhhhh
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 01:06:08 pm »

I think everyone's found this out the hard way at least once. =P

Hell, happened to me yesterday when I told my dwarves to ramp out a large area, forgetting that I had done some digwork on the level above.

Fortunately it only fell through the side rooms of my tower instead of the center. Had to rebuild some of my nobles' quarters but falling through five or six z-levels of side rooms and hitting some ground I have yet to clear out isn't nearly as bad as falling through eighty levels of heavily-populated tower.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 01:32:50 pm »

Yep, I've been there  ::)

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 02:56:53 pm »

Same here. I collapsed a hill for fun (not that FUN, though that's how it ended). But I didn't noticed it was above my fortress until it was too late.

Things died.

Including my brand-new dungeon master whose tomb I'd just finished.

I abandoned the fortress after that because I didn't feel like dealing with all the corpses and injured dwarves and dogs and kitten.

Plus, it ruined my workshops and food supply.

And there was a giant freakin' hole in the roof. Dwarves don't live in fortresses that have giant freakin' holes in the roof.

For some reason, I'm amused at making floors collapse. My dwarves...not so much.

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 03:05:12 pm »

A cave in killed my baron's consort once. The bastard kept ordering things I didn't have. I gave the crippled miner a legendary tomb and dumped him into it with another cave in while he was still alive. Being crippled he didn't last long.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 03:18:56 pm »

Been there, Been there worse even. Once lost virtually all of the fortress like that. I namely used grates to built the walls at the corners of my glass walkway spanning a river, obviously i forgot grates don't hold the walls so as soon as the one was build it plummeted through the river flooding everything beneath it.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 03:44:22 pm »

I did this today, but it only took out 2 dwarves. Had to revert the save due to unrelated happenings.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 04:33:31 pm »

I think everyone's found this out the hard way at least once. =P

Nope, never.

I've even TRIED!!!! to make a cave in happen.... nope it refused and i even checked the init file...
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 04:58:39 pm »

The floor your trying to collpase has to be COMPLETELY unsupported-not even one tile connecting it to the wall/solid ground can remain.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 05:00:28 pm »

I did, it was completely separated from the ceiling and walls, nothing below it either
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 05:04:34 pm »

Was there open space in all the tiles next to it?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 05:06:39 pm »

yes, but it is in the past, let us no longer speak of it.
I fixed that up for you.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 11:23:12 pm »

I accidentally designated the 4 walls that were linked to the shore for my over the ocean fort and everyone died. It was beautiful. The death and destruction bit at least.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 04:23:22 pm »

If there were multiplayer DF, you just know this would be the ultimate aim.

To send a massive floor crashing down through their fort.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 05:46:37 pm »

If there were multiplayer DF, you just know this would be the ultimate aim.

To send a massive floor crashing down through their fort.

Or one tile

on one dwarf

with lots of friends
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.
Pages: [1] 2