Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Just generated a perfectly bisected world.  (Read 3014 times)

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
Re: Just generated a perfectly bisected world.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 07:43:13 pm »

I've an idea about how to get magma over the edge of your land bridge, and possibly pave the ocean will obsidian:

Embark on a beach with magma.  Start building your bridge with obsidian.  Then, once the bridge reaches the edge of your map, build a pump/pipeline network that brings magma to the edge.  Make the magma flow out only at the pull of a lever.

Now, abandon, and visit the site as an adventurer.  Pull the lever, and let the obsidian be generated.
Retire, and embark on the ocean tile next to the fortress (Using a utility.)  With luck, you'll start on the obsidian ledge that was started as an adventurer.  Expand the pipe network from the edge, abandon, and repeat the process as an adventurer again.

Will this idea work?  I'm assuming that magma can flow beyond map edges in adventure mode.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 09:39:43 pm »

There are no map edges in adventure -other than the entire world edge- and if it flows between the retiring and starting a new fortress (which I assume is 1 year apart), then the whole ocean would be nothing but obsidian

the dwarven way to make a bridge across the ocean, destroy the ocean.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 03:20:21 pm »

It would be easy too.  All it takes is a location overlooking the ocean with a magma pipe, some bauxite from embark, and a few channels and pumps

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 03:14:12 am »

And then, when you've made a bridge across, embark on the middle, establish a huge fortress right on the center, and prepare for war.
!!&!!

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 01:12:30 pm »

A large - solid - obsidian area? Sounds awesome - but them, what about food? Drinks? All it will be is solid obsidian for like 50 z-levels!

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 01:43:59 pm »

A large - solid - obsidian area? Sounds awesome - but them, what about food? Drinks? All it will be is solid obsidian for like 50 z-levels!

1. Pumps desalinate water; it stays fresh while surrounded by constructed walls.
2. ANY muddy surface can be used as farming ground, even one thats muddied by salt water.

Hmm, if we do manage the obsidian land bridge, im worried that traders wont come, depriving you of wood. The plantable trees mod gets rid of that fear though.

EDIT: Oh wait, i just remembered. Embark anywhere automatically gives you NO TRADE on all friendly civs, no matter where you embark.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:51:08 pm by Eagle »

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 02:58:29 am »

huh, I genned it and got Elves, Dwarves and goblins on the right,
with humans and dark elves (I modded those in) on the left.

I shouldn't really build a war bridge if the goblins are already on the same side as me..

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 03:30:23 am »

the dwarven way to make a bridge across the ocean, destroy the ocean.

This
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 05:56:07 am »

How dare this ocean-river prevent bloodshed between dwarves and orcs! This is unacceptable! Grab some booze and socks and turn that ocean into a tundra.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 08:34:15 am »

If you start on a perfectly flat plain, you should get 31 Z-levels, right?  15 above and fifteen below.  If you build a tower and abandon, will you get an extra 15 z-levels above the top when you reclaim?  Can you dig down and reclaim for more digging?  How does that work?
Pages: 1 [2]