Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has toady ever talked about how he 'manages' the code for DF?  (Read 976 times)

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've recently started my own software pet project, and it's quickly becoming rather large. I was curious if toady had ever talked/written about being the sole (almost) dev for DF? I'm not sure on the correct terminology, but how does he 'manage' the code for DF? How does he plan out the additions and new features and make it mesh with the existing stuff? The structure of the code, basically. The... flowcharts/graphs/design docs. The stuff you do *before* you write any code.

Basically, looking for tips, tricks and suggestions for being the sole dev of a large project. I've quickly become mired in small things and I'm rapidly losing sight of my original goal. I don't intend to give up any time soon, but *argh*.

Regards,

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Has toady ever talked about how he 'manages' the code for DF?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 01:36:29 am »

He's mentioned his planning process a few times in interviews.  He uses some office software to manage his design notes and plots, which amount to some gigantic files.  He also adds lots of comments in his code, but not what you'd call "good programming practices".  I don't know any more than that though.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:26:51 am »

He's mentioned his planning process a few times in interviews.  He uses some office software to manage his design notes and plots, which amount to some gigantic files.  He also adds lots of comments in his code, but not what you'd call "good programming practices".  I don't know any more than that though.

You wouldn't happen to remember which interviews and happen to have links to them, would you?  ;D

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 06:27:55 am »

One thing that can drastically help keep you organized is a revision control system. I am personally partial to bzr (bazaar-vcs.org) but also popular are cvs, svn, git, and hg. Select the one that fits your needs best :)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 06:42:27 pm »

One thing Toady has repeatedly refused to do is use a version control system. He claims it hurts more than it helps.. nope, I don't understand it either.

Hopefully he does have backups.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 07:27:15 pm »

You wouldn't happen to remember which interviews and happen to have links to them, would you?  ;D

This is the only one I recall.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:56:39 am »

This is the only one I recall.

Awesome, thanks.