Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: John DeFoe quadrology (Chzo Mythos).  (Read 5589 times)

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: John DeFoe quadrology (Chzo Mythos).
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2011, 12:41:51 pm »

Bah. Played through the series before, read half-way through some of Jackrabbit's spoilers above, and realized I should probably play through again. Having terrible memory is both a blessing and a curse. Mostly just a curse, though.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 01:07:57 pm »

I just can't seem to remember to save my game.   >:(
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 05:57:32 pm »

I remember playing these a while back. 7 days was by far the worst, Trilby's notes was the best as far as plot goes, but it's like a book.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2011, 07:43:17 pm »

Incidentally, there's a really good LP on lparchive.org that I'd recommend. The guy likes the series, mostly, but pulls no punches.

And then Yahtzee shows up and gives developer's commentary, which is really cool.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2011, 07:45:36 pm »

Bear in mind, it's mostly developer's commentary on why Yahtzee himself thinks the games are awful.  It's a really good read though.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2011, 10:03:56 pm »

Bear in mind, it's mostly developer's commentary on why Yahtzee himself thinks the games are awful.  It's a really good read though.
"At the end of relevant updates, I'll be posting some of Yahtzee's commentary. Note that this isn't all of it, just what specifically relates to the game. To read more, check out the actual thread on the forums."
Seems they were transcribed in the archives with that specific intent. Which is a shame, because I would have liked to have seen all of it.
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2011, 10:17:11 pm »

I quite like Yahtzee's explanation of the sex scene.

If you can't be arsed to dig through his commentary to find it:
Apparently Yahtzee, a man who has admitted is somewhat disturbed by sex (hence why he thought the scene would be creepier than it was), when making the sex scene originally wanted to make it all-out rape by the woman with the man screaming in agony the whole time (it hurts it hurts it hurts), but he found that too disturbing so cut it down to extremely painful but consensual sex with the woman instigating. Shame because if you view it in that light, it fits a lot better as one of the blessed agonies.

But yeah, for all it's minor flaws and retcons I like the story of this series. Then again I like most decent lovecraft-style stories...

In the end, all know the name of the king.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:21:10 pm by MorleyDev »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2011, 10:18:25 pm »

Yeah, I followed the thread when it was still alive and Yahtzee's commentary (and the contest entries) were super fun. Damn you, SA, and your thread hiding tendencies!

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2011, 09:51:21 am »

Played 'em all. I liked the first two, with the horror-mystery aspect, but the last two got kind of dumb. The shadow-world part of Trilby's Notes was cool and freaky, but once everything was focused on developing that dumb storyline I just couldn't take them seriously anymore. A haunted house/spaceship that keeps making people kill each other is scary. A big demon from another dimension is not, especially once you spell everything out.

Still have fond memories of being freaked out by the first game though. Whenever there's a bathtub with a shower curtain in a potentially scary game, I'm always convinced there's going to be a body in it.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2011, 09:58:30 am »

It's a fact. Bathtubs are always one of two things. A, the place you can hide the villain never checks, or B, the local body dump.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2011, 10:16:25 am »

Wow, in that LP mentioned... I don't think I've seen someone ever deconstruct and point out the flaws in the game every five seconds the way this guy does. I'd much sooner listen to his reviews over Yahtzee's any day.
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2011, 10:46:46 am »

Played 'em all. I liked the first two, with the horror-mystery aspect, but the last two got kind of dumb. The shadow-world part of Trilby's Notes was cool and freaky, but once everything was focused on developing that dumb storyline I just couldn't take them seriously anymore. A haunted house/spaceship that keeps making people kill each other is scary. A big demon from another dimension is not, especially once you spell everything out.
I disagree, personally it was well done enough to be scary. I played the first three occasionally using the walkthrough, and found the first and third scary while the second was really only scary at the end. The third one I found the storyline to be excellent in such a way that added to the scariness. I should probably get around to eventually playing the fourth one.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 08:35:46 am »

This is my favorite game, I am pretty sure I am obsessed with it, great game.
I wish Yahtzee made a new one to replace 6 days, because the ending and playthrough was pretty bad...
Pages: 1 2 [3]