Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would a gold well make dwarves happier than an iron well?  (Read 958 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Would a gold well make dwarves happier than an iron well?
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:31:28 pm »

Actually, just the chain and bucket would be gold (found a gold vein right next to my entrance very early on). However, I'm just wondering if using iron would make dwarves just as happy? I'm not too clear on how the value affects happiness. I understand the value modifier stuff and use the wiki for that stuff, but I don't want to punch my total fortress wealth up too fast, I already have alot of immigrants and bieng in a treeless desert, can't readily mass produce beds. The caravans are reliable in that aspect though.

Also, I am playing a game with invaders off since I find that annoying, sometimes.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Would a gold well make dwarves happier than an iron well?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:53:26 pm »

Use the iron and see if you get any thoughts about completely sublime wells.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:03:51 pm »

afaik, no. they won't be any happier.  how it all affects dwarf happiness is the total amount each room is worth. for example, a dining room worth 5 million is going to make them MUCH happier than a room that is 10k.

So, all the furniture in the room will add to that total, but the buckets won't.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:14:57 pm »

I decided to just go with copper.I'm sure there will be happy thoughts just from the presence of the well though.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:28:13 pm »

You can get some nice multipliers on wells if you have a skilled architect -- how well the well is designed influences its overall value, which is what dwarves use to determine how much of a happy thought they get. But the important thing is to just have the well at all, since they won't get any good thoughts if it isn't there.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:42:12 pm »

Maybe I'll go for gold then, it would be more dwarvenly, right?

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:39:08 am »

You can get some nice multipliers on wells if you have a skilled architect -- how well the well is designed influences its overall value, which is what dwarves use to determine how much of a happy thought they get. But the important thing is to just have the well at all, since they won't get any good thoughts if it isn't there.

That explains the 'admired a fine trade depot' comments.

afaik, no. they won't be any happier.  how it all affects dwarf happiness is the total amount each room is worth. for example, a dining room worth 5 million is going to make them MUCH happier than a room that is 10k.

So, all the furniture in the room will add to that total, but the buckets won't.

Is there a way to tell the value of dining rooms?  Is it visible by using 'q' and going over the room like it is with a bedroom?  And what about before the economy starts?

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 01:19:15 am »

Is there a way to tell the value of dining rooms?  Is it visible by using 'q' and going over the room like it is with a bedroom?  And what about before the economy starts?

I don't know if there's any way to get an exact number, but you can get a rough idea using the 'r'ooms listing.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 02:17:50 am »

Is the thought triggered by quality, or final value, or both?

That is, would a dwarf be more likely to get a good thought from admiring an exceptional microcline chair (value 50), or a fine obsidian table (value 90)?

I think it's the latter, but I wanted to confirm.

(Sometime after the first year, once things are stable (a relative term), I train my Architect up to Proficient by locking them in a room with a floor of stones and designing (never "finishing") mass Supports (takes less than a season, about 100 supports from Novice to Proficient.)  Then I go back and rebuild all my smelters, bridges, wells, the Trade Depot, etc. etc., until they're at least fine. It's a small boost to fortress value, but the happy thoughts start to roll in.)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 12:01:12 pm »

I also think it's the latter, but this isn't exactly a well-researched area.

Still, if nothing else, you get a big boost to fortress wealth by making and then building high-quality furniture, since it counts twice for your wealth. I had a 300k dwarfbuck bucket that I built into a well -> 600k dwarfbuck increase in fortress wealth.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 12:47:07 pm »

<nods>

Platinum blocks, platinum buckets and platinum chains make rather admirable wells.

(Dwarfs drown just as fast.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 12:59:24 pm »

I don't have platnium (I don't think it's on my map anyways), although I did find a bit of aluminum, but I want to save it. So, gold is the best mat I have available. Plus I had a whole vein of it (about 200 I think, or a bit less) to spare. In fact, I used the vein as a channel for my well since it ran parallel to the brook and was only like 10 squares away. I did enlarge it a bit though.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 01:37:18 pm »

One of my (lower priority) considerations on choosing an embark site is "layers".  I like to have gabbro, and that means olivine, and that means platinum veins.  (Oddly enough, this first one I found in magnetite - bonus!)

But gold is right up there too, not much of a diff between the two, 25% less is all.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 01:41:59 pm »

Platnium and Magnetite are often found together for me.

Anyways, I've decided to perhaps start over somewhere else, just because I feel like it. And because I don't really like the site too much.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 04:42:37 pm »

Generally the more valuable it is, the happier dwarves will be to see it.

So if you can make your well out of a platinum block with an artifact bucket, rope, and mechanism, your dwarves will be very, VERY happy.  ;D

Bonus points if you make it a meeting area so the dwarves will party around the legendary well and bask in its glory.

Dwarves also get a bonus to the item's value if its made out of a favorite substance.