Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two questions relating sieges and world gen.  (Read 610 times)

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two questions relating sieges and world gen.
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:53:50 pm »

So I created a brand new world (small) and started a fortress with a magma pipe. During my second year I noticed no trade caravans were coming around except from the dwarves, and checked my "civilizations" menu. Only the dwarves showed up. does this mean that all the other races are dead or not around yet? Second question is whats the best ways to provoke sieges from goblins/kobolds and even humans and elves?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two questions relating sieges and world gen.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:14:43 pm »

So I created a brand new world (small) and started a fortress with a magma pipe. During my second year I noticed no trade caravans were coming around except from the dwarves, and checked my "civilizations" menu. Only the dwarves showed up. does this mean that all the other races are dead or not around yet? Second question is whats the best ways to provoke sieges from goblins/kobolds and even humans and elves?

First of all, civs only show up in the civilizatoins menu during Fortress Mode if you've encountered them.  Goblins don't show up until they attack you, elves don't show up until they send a caravan, etc.  Assuming you aren't so isolated that nobody else can get to you, it's just a matter of time...of course you may be that isolated.

To provoke sieges...goblins usually siege you on their own and I didn't think kobolds ever would siege.  To get the humans/elves to siege you, wait until their caravan shows up and murder their liaison.

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:19:01 pm »

oh alrighty, that clears some things up. Thanks very much for the reply :)

adore_the_glassspider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 01:42:16 am »

I don't think the goblins will siege until your population is at least 80...there may also be a value requirement for your fortress before goblin sieges occur.

--Spider
“She's a nightmare hippie girl/she's spazzing out on a cosmic level/and she's meditating with the devil/she's cooking salad for breakfast/she's got tofu the size of Texas/she's a witness to her own glory/she's a never-ending story/she's a frolicking depression/she's a self-inflicted obsession/she's got a thousand lonely husbands/she's playin' footsie in another dimension/she's a goddess milking her time for all that it's worth." --Beck

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 01:48:06 am »

I don't think the goblins will siege until your population is at least 80...there may also be a value requirement for your fortress before goblin sieges occur.

--Spider

Perhaps.  I honestly hadn't paid too much attention to when they start sieging.  They WILL ambush you before that point, though.  There IS a difference between siege and ambush and goblins will ambush you before they ever start sieging you.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 02:51:05 am »

Goblins have the BABYSNATCHER tag in their entity definitions, this means that they will not siege you unless they are at war, or unless you have a population of 80.
The easiest way to circumvent this is to remove that tag from goblins next time you gen a world.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 09:38:22 am »

Do you have to kill the human/elf LIAISON to get them to siege you, or does just drowning their caravan work? Because in my experience, getting the liaison is a lot harder...while the traders will go sit in your trade depot nicely placed in the drowning chamber, the liaison follows the mayor around constantly, making it kind of hard to get him in place for execution.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 10:40:12 am »

Do you have to kill the human/elf LIAISON to get them to siege you, or does just drowning their caravan work? Because in my experience, getting the liaison is a lot harder...while the traders will go sit in your trade depot nicely placed in the drowning chamber, the liaison follows the mayor around constantly, making it kind of hard to get him in place for execution.
Actually, the liason can be even easier if you know what you're doing.
Have a lever assigned to your mayor(or whoever meets with the liasons at that point in your fort) and place it behind a door, in preferably a one tile wide tunnel.
Fill said tunnel with spike traps, have the lever set them off, once the mayor(or whoever) goes to flip that lever with liason in tow, have him flip it a few times so the door closes, lock the door, set the spikes off ??? profit!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 12:43:17 pm »

From what I understand, civs get a LOT more angry for the death of their liaison than they do for their entire caravan.  It's just easier to kill the liaison.  Smew's tips should work wonders.  Accidental liaison death is also reasonably common.