Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does one really need guards  (Read 1232 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does one really need guards
« on: June 05, 2009, 11:14:15 am »

Fortress or royal.  I had a bunch of fortress guards but still got a Hammerer (fortunately he hasnt hammered anyone).  What is the point of having these guys?

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Does one really need guards
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:16:27 am »

To prevent the Hammerer killing anyone (hopefully) and to keep nobles happy. And, in one case of mine, to 1 hit kill a dragon.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:17:44 am »

Actually I was going to make a post along those lines.  My one fortress guard champion axe-dwarf one-hit killed a dragon while he was fighting a pack of war dogs (the dragon was fighting the dogs, not the dwarf) :D

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:40:28 am »

Fortress or royal.  I had a bunch of fortress guards but still got a Hammerer (fortunately he hasnt hammered anyone).  What is the point of having these guys?

One of my fortress designs has two entrances, the easy one which closes off with a drawbridge, and the hard one which runs through a gauntlet of crossbow fire, and into the fortress guards' barracks.

Nothing's survived that so far.  (Losing has been based on screwing up my food controls with the help of an overzealous hunter.)
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 12:02:05 pm »

I believe eventually there are planned to be actual criminals (ie murderers and thieves) rather than the current crop of random mandate failers and tantrummers, and when that happens, guards should be useful.  Till then, they are just an army that suicidally runs to its own death whenever an enemy arrives.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 12:43:46 pm »

All the fortress guard serves to do at the moment is make it easier for your dwarves to get hammered(the bad way.), same as the Captain of the Guard.

Royal guard... I don't think they'll initiate hammerings, but who knows?
If both the FG and the Captain of the Guard are not present, no hammerings will be issued, and thus your dwarves can live on, mandate free.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 02:01:34 pm »

No and no. Plus...get rid of the Hammerer also.  ;)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 02:58:58 pm »

For some reason my guardsmen seem to train up in their combat skills a lot quicker and with less injuries from their buddies in squads. I let them train up to just below master and then switch them into the normal army to continue to their progression to champion.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 03:16:49 pm »

For some reason my guardsmen seem to train up in their combat skills a lot quicker and with less injuries from their buddies in squads. I let them train up to just below master and then switch them into the normal army to continue to their progression to champion.
In my old fort, the beds in the barracks were full of injured guards.  Just so you know.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 04:35:58 pm »

Fortress guards are part of the dwarven injustice system. Have no fortress guards and no sherif, and your hammerer will just socialize all day long while you ignore mandates for adamantine socks.

Royal guards do not take part in the dwarven injustice system, so they're safe to have.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 05:40:06 pm »

One advantage of having a Fortress Guard I've never seen brought up is that when a dwarf is released from prison, it gains a massive happiness bonus, almost certainly enough to drive him up to ecstatic, thus preventing it from tantruming until the thought wears off.

Of course, this only works if the dwarves get jailed instead of beaten. Most of my failed mandates resulted in beatings, but most of my violent tantrumers get jailed, so the guard is probably a crappy thing to have if your noble likes Crystal Glass, but very useful for curbing a tantrum spiral.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 05:41:44 pm »

Except for if everybody is to busy tantruming to feed the poor dorfs in jail.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 06:16:00 pm »

Or the only military dwarf you have is fully decked out in plate mail with a masterpeice warhammer-and berserk.  Oh, and he's decided to take up residence next to your armor and weapon stockpiles.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 06:25:57 pm »

I played one fort with no traps, bridges or doors for defense, just a trained military to handle sieges and ambushes. The fortress guard proved to be extremely useful in taking down the occasional thief/snatcher/sieger that made it into the fort. They were competent in battle when they bothered to head out and help as well. I did provide them with shields and chain mail, just no weapons.

In another fort I had captured a dragon and put him in an arena that was 'sealed' up with lead floodgates. That didn't really work so well against dragon fire and the guards contained the problem very quickly.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:27:52 pm by Scarpa »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 08:48:24 pm »

Yes.

Because, in the absence of a hammerer, they have nothing to do except train recruits in wrestling, and absorb weapon strikes from sparring champions.
Every dead or mauled guard is one less dead useful dwarf.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: [1] 2