Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dream, writ large  (Read 1567 times)

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dream, writ large
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:49:50 am »

I always limit my gaming involvement to two games, switching off as I get a bit bored with one.

Dwarf Fortress has, for a record 18 months, been one of the two games.

At the moment, though, I am playing another game that is great for it's own reasons, and I had waking dream just now.

The other game is Sacred 2... a beautiful game with large maps, open ended gameplay, hack and slash galore, treasure, epic beasts, and electric guitars.

It's pretty awesome.

Anyway, as I traversed the open landscape of Sacred 2 I couldn't help but realize that the complex terrain and open ended adventure, and well as logically layered subterranean caves, seems like the PERFECT engine to realize a fully 3D Dwarf Fortress (in Dwarf AND adventure mode).

All that is really missing from the Sacred 2 engine is graphically severed limbs... but that would be easy enough to add.

I know it is an "easier said than done" dream... but still *swoon*
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:56:01 am by jryan »

Rock_n_Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
Re: My dream, writ large
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:14:36 am »

holy sh*t have you even looked at the requirements for the pc??
not something that mostly DF players have, lets be honest here....

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:15:35 pm »

Are you serious?  Please tell me you're not.
If you don't fulfill these requirements, how are you playing ANYTHING beyond DF (as DF doesn't require good frame rates)?  Hell, even HALO (the original) takes this much..
Spoiler: Minimum (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Recommended (click to show/hide)
An entire computer, built yourself (as manufacturer-built ones are insanely overpriced) that fulfills those requirements can be purchased for under US$300
My comp is over double the recommended specs...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 01:47:44 pm »

I have 8 gigs of ram but Windows XP 32bit, phear my 5 rams of doing nothingness!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 01:55:22 pm »

I have 8 gigs of ram but Windows XP 32bit, phear my 5 rams of doing nothingness!

Bleg, why don't you buy Vista if you have a good PC with 8 gigs of RAM?  ::) Ah well, perhaps it's kinda pointless to buy Vista now, since Windows 7 will be much better [if true..].

As for Sacred 2., yeah it has a good gfx engine indeed, and you don't need to have a high end PC in order to play with it.

Amber Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrrr?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:12:05 pm »

I feel that vista just eats my graphic memory. Also, Making a custom made computer, You could probably find parts at just about any computer store, Or on the street from old computer, OOORR if your very lucky, CHEAP ON ebay XD. :) But its worth the time making a custom computer.... o.o

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 06:09:50 pm »

I feel that vista just eats my graphic memory. Also, Making a custom made computer, You could probably find parts at just about any computer store, Or on the street from old computer, OOORR if your very lucky, CHEAP ON ebay XD. :) But its worth the time making a custom computer.... o.o

Awesome computer parts
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 07:23:26 pm »

Are you serious?  Please tell me you're not.
If you don't fulfill these requirements, how are you playing ANYTHING beyond DF (as DF doesn't require good frame rates)?  Hell, even HALO (the original) takes this much..
Spoiler: Recommended (click to show/hide)
An entire computer, built yourself (as manufacturer-built ones are insanely overpriced) that fulfills those requirements can be purchased for under US$300
My comp is over double the recommended specs...

I rather doubt you could manage under $300, actually.  I built one approximately these specs a year ago for $600, and that was with a free OS I got from school.  I think you'd spend most of your $300 between a copy of Vista, a graphics card with 512MB RAM, and the case.

KG

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 07:31:32 pm »

requirements
I rather doubt you could manage under $300, actually.  I built one approximately these specs a year ago for $600, and that was with a free OS I got from school.  I think you'd spend most of your $300 between a copy of Vista, a graphics card with 512MB RAM, and the case.

KG
I said requirements, not recommends.
If you're going to cut out part of my post, at least cut out the part that ISN'T relevant.
Vista is not required.  Nor is a 512MB GPU.  High-end cases are expensive, low-end ones not-so-much.
And if you're building a low-end computer with 1GB of RAM, why would you buy a high-end case?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:34:08 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 01:14:32 am »

I'm sorry... what does "writ large" mean in your language?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 01:38:38 pm »

Yeah, I always buy parts to build my comp. It's the best what you can do. "Complete computers" = Epic fail!  :P

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 04:07:09 pm »

Speaking of money wasting, my next computer upgrade will upgrade pretty much everything except the case, the DVD drive and the motherboard. If the motherboard needs replacing, add that to the price.

My calculations bring me to $760.

That's for a high end GPU, 4GB of new RAM, High end cooling (Zalman or such) and a new dual core CPU.

I don't have specific parts planned as I'm upgrading when Windows 7 has been on the market for a month or two because I plan on buying it. But not before others have bought it themselves. The cost of Windows 7 is not included in my little price tag over there. But I'll probably end up buying cheaper parts than I planned.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 03:31:52 am »

^ More then likely you will have to replace the mobo also. Mobos are quite cheap, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Just a note: Try to get a quality mobo. [Asus/EVGA/MSI for example..]

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 07:51:59 am »

We'll see, we'll see. Problem is, the most I'm willing to spend is $760. No more.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 08:56:40 am »

If you don't fulfill these requirements, how are you playing ANYTHING beyond DF

I have a 2ghz processor and I play games fine, its only really-really recent games that are starting to go over this for requirement and from what I've seen they are mostly crap anyways so it doesn't matter.

Admittedly I have a relatively good graphics card (That won't play some games because it don't want to, no matter the system requirements, fuck you ati2dvag infinite loop)

I can't upgrade though, no money.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter