Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: List of unrelated questions  (Read 754 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
List of unrelated questions
« on: May 31, 2009, 09:45:35 am »

I've been enjoying pretty much feeling out the game on my own, but I have some questions that haven't had obvious answers in my gameplay.

1.  Is there a list for what is required for various cooking?  My chefs are quite productive, just wanted to know.

2.  Is there any way to sort food storage for just "prepared meals"?  As I said my chefs are productive and I'd like to send the barrels of meals to the back of the cave and keep the ingredients up front.

3.  (There doesn't seem to be) but is there a way to sort stockpiles of just "narrow, large, small, etc" goods/armor?  Its a pain trying to sort through for the worthless goblin stuff to trade when the merchants arrive.

4.  Do roads actually do anything other than waste my time and look nice?

5.  Is there any reason not to keep "outdoor" animals indoors for raising meat?  (Horses, cows, etc)

6.  When I tell my jewelers or bonecrafters to decorate things, how do they select which pieces of furniture or goods they are using?

Thats all for now, thanks everyone :)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: List of unrelated questions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 10:02:17 am »

1 - You should read the wiki - start with "meal" and "kitchen", and surf out from there.

2 - Whenever you have a food in the stockpile you have the option of adding "prepared meals" (< u > in that sub-menu).  PM's are not sorted by their ingredients - they simply are PM's, nothing more.

3 - nope.

4 - In heavy forested areas, they prevent trees from growing and guarantee a 3-wide path for a caravan wagon.  They can also act as firebreaks.

5 - No such thing as "outside animals", so no. Inside works fine.

6. Random, unless you manipulate the objects with locked doors or forbidding. As with anything else, otherwise they'll walk across the map to find the precise materials that will piss you off the most.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 10:26:58 am »

3. I think you could do a search for narrow or large stuff in the 'g' menu at the depot. That's the same thing you'd do when trading food, where you put in 'roast' so it only displays said lavish meals.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 10:44:59 am »

3.  Any armor that is narrow, large, etc is "unusable". It's a good idea to have a stockpile to hold unusable armor next to your trade depot.  I split this up. I put a stockpile that allows only non-metal unusable armor and weapons next to my trade depot, and a stockpile that allows only metal unusable armor and weapons next to my smelters, and I regularly designate those items for melting.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 10:50:46 am »

Oh, I wasn't aware of there being a usable/unusable parameter in the armor stockpiles. That's neat.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 07:53:03 am »

3. I think you could do a search for narrow or large stuff in the 'g' menu at the depot. That's the same thing you'd do when trading food, where you put in 'roast' so it only displays said lavish meals.

This is something I didn't really think about.  I wonder how many hours of scrolling it will save me.

As to the prepared meals/usable/unusable options in the stockpiles, you should look in that part of the screen all the time.  Different categories have different options you can choose.  Makes life a whole lot easier (you can (dis)allow sand bags, for example).

And ++ to making stockpiles for unusable GCS clothing (dump the rest in magma and melt the iron).  Combine it with crafts or whatever else you trade.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 10:18:50 am »

I've been enjoying pretty much feeling out the game on my own, but I have some questions that haven't had obvious answers in my gameplay.

1.  Is there a list for what is required for various cooking?  My chefs are quite productive, just wanted to know.

2.  Is there any way to sort food storage for just "prepared meals"?  As I said my chefs are productive and I'd like to send the barrels of meals to the back of the cave and keep the ingredients up front.

3.  (There doesn't seem to be) but is there a way to sort stockpiles of just "narrow, large, small, etc" goods/armor?  Its a pain trying to sort through for the worthless goblin stuff to trade when the merchants arrive.

4.  Do roads actually do anything other than waste my time and look nice?

5.  Is there any reason not to keep "outdoor" animals indoors for raising meat?  (Horses, cows, etc)

6.  When I tell my jewelers or bonecrafters to decorate things, how do they select which pieces of furniture or goods they are using?

Thats all for now, thanks everyone :)

1. You can go to the Stocks menu (z) and then the Kitchen menu, and choose what can be cooked and what can be brewed etc. I tend to only let them only cook meat and useless alcohol, or an abundant resource, because they all turn out insanely priced anyway, and my dwarves enjoy anything. Don't let them cook plants, unless you have loads of it, because cooking destroys the seeds, whereas brewing doesn't.

2. Set a food stockpile down, then go to it's settings (go over it in q mode and then press s) and go to the food menu, then disable all of the sub menus, like meat, plants etc. then just make sure the
u - Prepared Meals is highlighted, that way only prepared meals will be stored in that stockpile. As with the ingredients, just make another food stockpile at the front, go to its settings, turn u off, then put whatever ingredients you want by only highlighting them.

3. No. The most you can do about sorting armor and weapons out is to just set the quality (the caravan guards always have normal quality, sieges tend to have lower end quality weapons with some high level stuff) to whatever your weapons are, or just set the material type, like steel, iron etc.

4. Roads are only there to stop annoying plants and trees growing on the path to your fortress, which could end up blocking up the trade caravans! I usually just use a soil path, then once i'm a flourishing fortress, I add stone paths.

5. Just keep all your animals inside, doesn't make a difference to how much meat they produce. The easiest animals by far to raise are dogs, simply because they are cheap and don't pose an adoption threat like cats do! Just cage all the dogs you don't want walking around the place (usually stray dogs, war dogs are good to have wondering around) but be sure to let them out in spring / summer to let them get pregnant again. Just rinse and repeat as many times as you want, then cage em up when they've done their business. Caging them up just reduces lag and stops the dogs causing unneccesary traffic. Plus they annoy me when they fill up my dining room..

6. Not sure. Like the other guy said, just lock the items you want decorated in the room with the craftsdwarf or whatever.

Other than that, good job ;) You laid your questions out nicely, unlike most new guys do here :p Good to see someone else enjoying the game :D

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 08:41:31 pm »

I've been playing for a month or so just using the wiki, not doing so bad I guess.  ::)

So once I've run awhile in a world where flux didn't exist (even the merchants didn't have it) so I had to quit that, and the last two haven't had coal.  None of my maps have had lava.  Is there a good way for scouting locations with lava?  The best I could do was look for obsidian, and the few places with it had pretty much no other minerals of use.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 09:07:11 pm »

Magma.

Best way is pre-embark, using the <f>ind function. 

When selecting the exact location, magma vents are little dark red ~'s (single or double) - (be aware, bright red is red sand.)

You want a magma pipe rather than a pool.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 10:06:42 pm »

4: Roads stop muddy tiles looking muddy, stop tree growth, are non-flammable, and can serve to colour-code entrances.

5. No.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 10:52:39 pm »

4. Certain values of your roadways are needed for the King to appear, think its 7500. To be safe, build underground roads, that pop up on corners on the map, This will, as a bonus, give lots of hauling jobs, and discover ore veins.
 Make sure the roads' exit is near your front gate, not inside your fortress, for anti-intruder protection.
 I think the King likes the massive amount of roads, so his/her slave kobold-pulled chariot can get around easier.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration