Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, what's the deal with those Human Guild Representatives?  (Read 1501 times)

ampillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Video Stuffs!

I'm not sure I understand what this guy's doing. I figured it's the trade guy coming in to ask what my dorfs want them to bring. No big deal right?

Well, the guy seems to be running back and forth within my fortress. Which wouldn't bother me... if my administrator wasn't so busy wandering back and forth behind him to try to 'attend meeting', neglecting trade, work assigning duties. I mean I know it takes awhile for them to get down to business and finally get done with this junk, but is there some sort of average on how long this bum will take? And has anyone had this become a more permanent issue?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: So, what's the deal with those Human Guild Representatives?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 01:27:15 am »

He shouldn't be running around unless there's a hostile animal chasing him, in my experience guild reps always home right in on my trader and follow him around, because he's too busy for them. haha

ampillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Video Stuffs!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:40:43 am »

In my fortress, he's running from one gathering area to another, with my administrator running around behind him like a scolded puppy.

... Of course, no sooner do I write this message does he finally get off his ass and open the trade requests dialogue. Doooooh! It seems to only happen with my human guy though, the dwarven liaison guy seems to get right down to it.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 12:49:35 pm »

tsk, looks like you got a human with negative work ethic traits.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 02:56:29 pm »

I've noticed when doing digging. Especially with a river around. You know how when you move the cursor the water seems to move? Well if your trader and theirs are standing next to each other and you just sit in the dig menu plotting random dig sites and clearing them (not with the mouse) that after you plot a few possibly the first one (that's normally when it happens for me) they start the trade even though the game is paused. Very annoying when trying to dig a lot intentionally.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 03:04:19 pm »

looks like your trader needs an office.  if he doesnt have one, he is forced to use a public meeting area or dining room.  if you have multiple meeting areas, i can imagine them getting confudes.

U: "huh, mcdorfinhammer isnt in the statue garden, i guess i'll check by the well"

@: "waiiiiiit, im right behind you"

U: "huh, mcdorfinhammer isnt by the well, i guess i'll check the statue garden again"

@: "nooooooooooo, waiiiiiiiiiiit!"

ampillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Video Stuffs!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:57:02 pm »

Nah, he's got an office, because he is (was, since I got tired of waiting around for someone to approve jobs, I assigned other random dorfs to the task) also the clerk/manager, thus he has a decent office, and I know I've seen them actually meet up there previously. I blame the zoo. Once I added in a zoo of pesky critters, random people seem to go in there and zone out for a few. Maybe they're all taking turns licking the toads.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 07:50:18 pm »

It's pretty funny when your trader is perfectly agile, or faster, and I always have to lock mine in her room or in the bedroom complex while the liason follows her footprints halfway across the fortress. My dwarves are all obsessed with checking the chests in the unoccupied rooms, running back to the meeting area, and then doing it all over again just in case this time that fabulous prize will be there! I don't know what game they think they're in.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 08:20:15 pm »

My guild representative somehow got trapped on the top of a 100-level tall mountain with no way up or down, save the edge of the map.

A little while ago a squad of goblins ambushed him, tore his left arm apart, and left. I'm somewhat confused by this.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 10:17:35 pm »

He didn't get stranded on the finger of Armok, did he?

Also, the human guild representative meets with your broker, whom I'm assuming was also your administrator. Your administrator needs to have a meeting with the mayor when workers complain to the administrator about the lack of work, so that's probably why the administrator was running around with the Attend Meeting job.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 10:29:10 pm »

My guild representative somehow got trapped on the top of a 100-level tall mountain with no way up or down, save the edge of the map.

A little while ago a squad of goblins ambushed him, tore his left arm apart, and left. I'm somewhat confused by this.

Check to see if his name's Isildur and if any of his fingers are now missing.