Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [LCS 3.19.4] How the heck can I (relatively) safely raise melee combat skills?  (Read 2547 times)

vortex1991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, so I've beaten the game once already, albeit through lots of cheating and savescumming, but it got the MUST DEFEAT GAME out of my system, so now I'm playing around. I thought it'd be fun to make a LARP squad kitted out in mithril, with each member wielding a different weapon from the Oubliette. Since my founder was a brainless sword-slinging thug who couldn't persuade worth a damn, I hit a garment factory and kitted out all the naked workers. Problem is, they tend to crumple in a bloody heap fairly quickly; I tried the crackhouse, somehow it didn't occur to me the locals might be packing heat. Though I did manage to lop off a cops head in one lucky swing while I was escaping, that was pretty neat. What's a safer way to teach my noble knights the ropes? Or even, is there a better choice for LARP squad that a dumb thug like my founder could recruit than a bunch of tailors?

Also, what can raise the dodge skill? In my cheating game, nothing I did would ever make it go up at all.

And since I don't feel like making a fresh topic for THIS question - when I first beat the game, it went to that Issues screen where it shows the President, Supreme Court, etc., and they were all bright green and the game was all like WAY TO GO SON, PRESS L TO SEE THE HIGH SCORE TABLE. But nothing I pressed would do anything at all, so I had to manually quit out. The only names in my high score table are the casualties of my various ill-fated experimental runs. What's up?

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!

And since I don't feel like making a fresh topic for THIS question - when I first beat the game, it went to that Issues screen where it shows the President, Supreme Court, etc., and they were all bright green and the game was all like WAY TO GO SON, PRESS L TO SEE THE HIGH SCORE TABLE. But nothing I pressed would do anything at all, so I had to manually quit out. The only names in my high score table are the casualties of my various ill-fated experimental runs. What's up?
That bug is in the process of being fixed.
LCS developer, insomniac, writer.

vortex1991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, well that's good, sorta. I thought I'd broken something with my rampant cheating.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!

Oh, well that's good, sorta. I thought I'd broken something with my rampant cheating.
Savescumming won't do that to you. It's just like if you saved at every possible moment.

vortex1991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, when I say 'rampant cheating', I mean 'using ArtMoney to turn my founder into goddamned Superman'. Didn't stop a shotgun blast to the head from ripping out half of his All-American pearly whites, though. I thought I might've tweaked the wrong value somewhere is all.

But anyway! How's about that not-getting-martyred melee training?

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gentleman's club. Fight the bouncer.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

I thought he would kill me if I fought him, I'll have to try it.
I killed 10 bouncers :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 12:49:58 pm by jaked122 »

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!

I thought he would kill me if I fought him, I'll have to try it.
I killed 10 bouncers :)
That's the first thing I do in the game, kidnap several bouncers (not at once), get my founder's psychology skill up to at least 9. Then I begin to kidnap/recruit/seduce (preferably recruit/seduce) a doctor, a programmer, a black belt, a lawyer (for a sleeper), several sleeper judges, and a hardened veteran to lead the secondary squad.

vortex1991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The bouncer, eh? Not a bad idea, but it'd take a lot of trips. He'd also have to not die before everybody's had a chance to get a swing in. I guess I could nip in and hack up a few of the regulars before I get outta there.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!

The bouncer, eh? Not a bad idea, but it'd take a lot of trips. He'd also have to not die before everybody's had a chance to get a swing in. I guess I could nip in and hack up a few of the regulars before I get outta there.
*Or* kidnap the entrance one, and use them as a human shield while you fight!

Arathiel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I second the dodge question... never seen any significant improvements.  I rarely use hand to hand fighting though, maybe that's it?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Simply send 6 man squads at the bouncer. Once the first 1 or 2 members of the squad max out, flip them to the back so they can finish him off if the other 4 don't drop him. Note that this also bumps juice up by about 10-20 a run, or it did till the latest change, though its still good for juice.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

vortex1991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it's working pretty nicely so far, though I decided to send people in one-on-one on anonymous actions to hit the club security guy. Savescumming like a fiend again, of course. Funny thing though, he ALWAYS runs after one or two rounds of combat with my dwarven hammer wielder. Is this some kind of nod to Dwarf Fortress, or am I just particularly unlucky with this one character?

Also, if anybody can illuminate the use and the leveling of the more ambiguous skills, that'd be great. Like religion, science, and dodge. Never seen a place to use them, much less an opportunity to level them.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Religion and Science are levelled up during teaching or interrogating people with religious or science skills. Religion and Science are interrogation skills, used to break down people who have those skills.

Dodge is used when you are dodging. That's how you level up.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

vortex1991

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ohh, that probably would've made all my Eminent Scientist conversions in the last game a lot less... savescummy. I still don't get dodge, though; is there a way to manually dodge or something? Not a single one of my LARPers has anything above a 0.00, despite all their slashing smashing action. It doesn't go up when the enemy misses, it doesn't go up when they knock out 23 of my teeth with a nightstick, it doesn't go up when I evade combat. What's the trick?

Also, the tantalizing flamethrower skill - are flamethrowers actually implemented?
Pages: [1] 2