Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whyfor my military Dwarfs keep changing?  (Read 716 times)

ampillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Video Stuffs!
Whyfor my military Dwarfs keep changing?
« on: May 23, 2009, 12:47:29 am »

Alright, so I've got this fortress going, and to prepare for HFS, I've been training a squad of champions to handle some SoF's hanging about. Now, I started about twelve dwarves training about the same time. I know Marksmen are slow arses anyway, but I have one dwarf that has seemingly never advanced beyond recruit when all the others are now champions. He hasn't been bed-ridden for any real amount of time, and every time I zoom to him, he's hanging about, but he doesn't seem to be training even as the rest of his squad does. Any suggestions?

Also, I've got a spear-dwarf equipped with his weapon, but he seems to becoming a wrestler. Will he eventually skill up enough to lose the wrestle moniker and become a proper spear-dwarf?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Whyfor my military Dwarfs keep changing?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 12:56:14 am »

For your first layabout he probably has a damaged nervous system. Scroll down on his wounds screen. Nervous system-damaged dwarves can't spar.

As for the second, is he holding any clothing or armor in his hands? If he is, you can set his armor preferences to clothes, let him drop whatever he's holding and set it back. He should then spar with the spear.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ampillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Video Stuffs!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 01:05:19 am »

Ah, yep, nervous system injury. Thanks.

And my dwarf decided to fix my other question for me just now. He flipped from a wrestler to a spearmaster.

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 04:03:03 am »

And my dwarf decided to fix my other question for me just now. He flipped from a wrestler to a spearmaster.

Wrestler and Speardwarf skills are probably only one skill-level apart then; remember, a dwarf becomes his highest skill. Alternating between dodging and stabbing with the spear, wrestler and speardwarf rise about equally fast though with alternating highs.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 04:07:24 am »

Remember, as long as his nervous injury doesn't prevent him from moving, he'll make a great marksman (as well as having wrestling and toughness, he'll also have marksmanship).  I once had a legendary hammer get a nervous injury.  Moved him to marksdwarf... he can smash most enemies in melee.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 09:27:43 am »

Also, I've got a spear-dwarf equipped with his weapon, but he seems to becoming a wrestler. Will he eventually skill up enough to lose the wrestle moniker and become a proper spear-dwarf?

Probably not. Dwarves tend to train weapons and wrestling together if someone's hanging around without weapons and training.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 10:51:47 am »

Marksdwarves require:
  • An Archery Range, designated as a room from an archery target.
  • A clear path to said archery target from the direction the range is.
  • Bone bolts
  • wood bolts

Certain bugs with the equipping script cause them to sometimes be unable to fire their crossbows.
Unequip them.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned