Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I had an idea for a modification.  (Read 3489 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I had an idea for a modification.
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:56:33 pm »

!!&!!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: I had an idea for a modification.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 10:31:08 am »

Having a sloooow connection, am I right in assuming that's the scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail with the peasants in the mud?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 11:04:01 am »

We need a slogan!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 11:39:22 am »

Dennis the Liberal says, "Now we see the violence inherent in the system!  Now we see the violence inherent in the system!"
Corporate Manager gives a shout of intolerance!
Dennis the Liberal whips out an AK!
Dennis the Liberal shouts: "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"
Corporate Manager doesn't want to die!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 11:43:53 am »

Corporate CEO explains to Dennis the divine right clearly prophesied by the Lady of the Lake!
Dennis remains strong.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 11:52:33 am »

Unlike previous suggestions, it would appear simulating a peasent rebellion would not be all that conterversial. However, the interrogation system needs rework, since it is highly unlike serfs can form a sleeper network. That pesky democracy is also not going to exist, so, polls and elections...utterly  meaningless. You may have the sway the people in power to give into your demands, while waiting for some of the nobles to die off and be replaced by more Serf-Friendly Nobles.

Bonus points if we simulate such a peasent rebellion by using Marxist models, due to the class struggle between the capitalists and the fedualists, with the serfs siding with the capitalists, and eventually betraying the capitalists.

The Monthy Python references can be in there too, but evaulting peasent rebellions in Marxist terms seem to have more potential.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:12:52 pm »

Maybe as an alternative to elections there could be popular movements?  While peasant protest was hardly common place in the middle ages, there were examples of the lower classes using their collective importance to demand changes.  So if the Liberal Serf Squad influenced public opinion enough, reactionary leaders would be replaced with compassionate ones or repressive laws would be abolished.

The judicial system would sort of be entwined with public opinion.  Legal redress did exist in many places in the middle ages and did sometimes produce reforms.  And the more afraid of a peasant revolt the judges and royals were, the more likely that reform would be.

Of course, the notion that people should be encouraging uppity peasants would itself be radical.  So whenever reforms do get passed, the LSS would need to gain a load of heat for a while and get a bunch of inciting revolution charges.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:19:59 pm »

Or....we could just implement the political system advocated by the Oppressed Peasant, where each peasant takes one week turns as leader, with all major decisions being made by a majority vote.

You know, like one of our "Community Fortresses" over in DF...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 12:33:07 am »

Why would we need a revolution then?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 01:48:11 am »

Sorry, I meant to say that was the L+ system.  You'd start out with the standard feudal system.  Arch-Conservative would probably be a sole dictator, with nobles wielding little power.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 07:43:02 am »

In the feudal system, the king actually had relatively little control. He was incredibly dependent on the nobles; and in fact, the king was frequently elected by a group of nobles (although they tended to elect a new king from the same lineage).

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 07:44:34 am »

In the feudal system, the king actually had relatively little control. He was incredibly dependent on the nobles; and in fact, the king was frequently elected by a group of nobles (although they tended to elect a new king from the same lineage).
*COUGH*Bush*COUGH*
LCS developer, insomniac, writer.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 08:24:53 am »

*COUGH*Bush*COUGH*

I thought we were an autonomous collective.
!!&!!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 12:32:11 pm »

I've been thinking of several different nations
---England, because that is where Monthy Phyton is based
---United Empire of America, based off some alternate history stories where the US spilt peacefully from the UK and formed its own Empire, with George Washigtion becoming the first King
---The Papal States, with a Catholic Pope at the head
---A fictional fedualistic state, The Empire of Ampersand

Assuming the mod will be basing this off England...

*King: The leader of the Empire. He has the power to approve or decline certain decrees.
*Heir Apperant: Appointed by the King. When the King dies, the Heir Apperant becomse the new King. (For the King to be elected by the nobles, it has to either be in Poland, Holy Roman Empire [Germany], or the Papal States, or some other kingdom...)
*Model Parliament: The Parliament system used in England. There were times when Parliament was more powerful than the King, and other times, notably the 15th Centruy, when the King was far more powerful than Parliament.
In 1265, Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester summoned the first elected Parliament. The franchise in parliamentary elections for county constituencies was uniform throughout the country, extending to all those who owned the freehold of land to an annual rent of 40 shillings (Forty-shilling Freeholders). In the boroughs, the franchise varied across the country; individual boroughs had varying arrangements. This set the scene for the so-called "Model Parliament" of 1295 adopted by Edward I. By the reign of Edward II, Parliament had been separated into two Houses: one including the nobility and higher clergy, the other including the knights and burgesses, and no law could be made, nor any tax levied, without the consent of both Houses as well as of the Sovereign.
---House of Commons, One Half are appointed by Rural Counties (Knights of the Shire), the Other Half are appointed by the Towns. The House of Commons can only affect Taxation and Public Expenditures Laws. The House of Commons can be considered an 'elected' House, however, due to Voting Laws restricting the power of votes to those who have money, the electorate is conservative. If you want to turn the House of Commons Liberal, you're going to need to make voting laws more Liberal.
---House of Lords, The Nobles and Peers, herdieratry structure. "Advises" the King on certain issues. During the reign of Edward II (1307-1327), the House of Lords became incredibly powerful. It still kept lots of power until its power declined during the War of the Roses.

*"Supreme Court"/"Lord of Appeals":
1) Either all Justices are appointed by the House of Lords, which had the judicial function as the "Court of Last Resort", or
2) All members of the House of Lords can hear Court Cases.

Popular Revolutions: Occur if the King is unpopular or the tolerance of Political Violence is high. If the rebellion succeds, Change occurs. Otherwise, it's the Status Quo.

Glorious Revolution: If Parliament is opposed to the King, Parliament may introduce a motion to depose the King. If Parliament succeds, Parliament will then vote to appoint a new King to the throne.

Republic (unlikely to be added, but...): If society is liberal enough, Parliament may abolish the Monarchy and the House of Lords entirely and create the "Protectorate"/"Commonwealth of Nations". The House of Commons will be able to appoint a Lord Protector who will pass decrees in much the same way as the original Monarchy.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:35:53 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 12:55:12 pm »

Yeah. I've also been thinking of ways in which the game could be more on-going. The Stalinist Comrade Squad is a step in the right direction, I think.

Your cycle of Popular Revolutions, Glorious Revolution, then Republic make me think of another option. The eventual goal is to reach an L+ Republic, but to get there, you have to get an L+ Kingdom, which becomes a C+ Constitutional Monarchy when the 'amendment' is passed. Then, when you hit L+ Constitutional Monarchy, the amendment turns it into a C+ Republic. You get the idea.

Here's my idea on how the amendments would work in this case.

Kingdom

C+ (Game ending) Declare the Autocracy permanant)
L+ Institute a Parliament and limit the power of the King

Constitutional Monarchy

C+ Reassert the authority of the Crown
L+ Eliminate the executive authority of the King.

Republic

C+ Reinstate the Monarchy
L+ (Game ending) Declare the Republic Permanent.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:00:05 pm by Ampersand »
!!&!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4