Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1296 1297 [1298] 1299 1300 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424755 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #19455 on: August 09, 2015, 03:40:30 am »

there's reasons for mods having bloat and lack of direction

laziness

seriously

"do one thing and do it well" is NOT something people appreciate for mods... thus modpacks existing.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19456 on: August 09, 2015, 04:27:39 am »

So people don't like that Minecraft relies too much on exploring, and I don't like that it doesn't rely on exploring enough?

I guess my friends weren't lying when they said my preferences are completely fucked up. Although that might have been in reference to someting else, but watever.
Not really, we're all just frustrated that the game can't seem to commit to a solid direction, or merge the ones it's trying properly.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19457 on: August 09, 2015, 11:32:45 am »

Minecraft needs to have more modding applications to be truly great again. All the tools are already there, we just need a more garry's mod-esque game in that players can do more to create their own gamemodes.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19458 on: August 09, 2015, 12:42:30 pm »

I'm probably the last person on Earth who's never tried any mods, despite having spent countless hours on vanilla Minecraft. It might be because I'm just too busy doing my thing (building fuckhueg castles in peaceful/survival) and can't really think of any necessary improvements I would like added. Smooth ramp blocks would make prettier roofs, I guess... but nah, I'm too used to that good old blocky stairs-look.

One other thing I HATE is ender pearls. They're required in all endgame content everywhere for some convulted reason, and the only way to get them is to fight endermen, who don't appear every night, are rare, are horribly annoying to fight and aren't even guaranteed to drop a pearl. Fuck endermen.

Ender pearls are not required by any endgame content and you can buy Eyes of Ender from priest villagers. I usually just build a sugarcane/villager farm if I want to get to The End as quickly as possible.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19459 on: August 09, 2015, 12:48:27 pm »

They are required in mods, though :P I don't play vanilla minecraft anymore.
I don't think I've ever /been/ to the end, and I see no need to. The only good thing I heard about it was somebody who used a Tinker's Construct smeltery to farm the endermen there into liquid ender pearls, which makes a pretty good reactor coolant.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19460 on: August 09, 2015, 01:22:06 pm »

Some mods add ores and whatnot that only shows up in the end... otherwise yeah.  Easy enderman hunting for pearls is about the only reason.  That and endstone makes for a rather nice off white building mat.
Nom nom nom

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #19461 on: August 09, 2015, 01:24:21 pm »

I'm probably the last person on Earth who's never tried any mods, despite having spent countless hours on vanilla Minecraft. It might be because I'm just too busy doing my thing (building fuckhueg castles in peaceful/survival) and can't really think of any necessary improvements I would like added. Smooth ramp blocks would make prettier roofs, I guess... but nah, I'm too used to that good old blocky stairs-look.

One other thing I HATE is ender pearls. They're required in all endgame content everywhere for some convulted reason, and the only way to get them is to fight endermen, who don't appear every night, are rare, are horribly annoying to fight and aren't even guaranteed to drop a pearl. Fuck endermen.

Ender pearls are not required by any endgame content and you can buy Eyes of Ender from priest villagers. I usually just build a sugarcane/villager farm if I want to get to The End as quickly as possible.
I can join the never modded group. Unless you count a brief jump into the Aether for about an hour.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19462 on: August 09, 2015, 02:56:10 pm »

Actually, I dislike most most mods, because they really make the game ugly-looking with all these new blocks. As a builder I really hate all the industry-based mods that encourage players to build as minimalistically as possible to be ultra efficient.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19463 on: August 09, 2015, 03:07:12 pm »

The main reason to get to The End is to "beat" the game. Because "that's what it's for~"
It may not be a significant achievement on ordinary difficulties, but it's entirely another matter on hardcore. (I will pull it off someday, dammit.)

There are some upcoming official features for The End, by the way, and I must say that I kinda like the architecture in this pic, even knowing that generated structures in vanilla tend to be rather underwhelming.   
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19464 on: August 09, 2015, 03:52:08 pm »

Yay, more special mobs with their own ways of being incredibly frustrating to fight...?

Playing on "hardcore" mode just sucks the fun out for me. There's so many bullshit ways to die and the combat system is really bad, so you just end up playing ultra-conservatively and not taking any risks, at all.

I also rather disagree that factories can't look good. You can build nice-looking factories, and magic mods generally encourage nice architecture.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19465 on: August 09, 2015, 04:13:25 pm »

Thaumcraft=WIZARDS TOWER ALL DAY EVERY DAY
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19466 on: August 09, 2015, 05:27:48 pm »

On that note, has anyone tried Aura Cascade? I've seen youtubers using it and apparently in order to properly understand how to use it it requires knowledge of advanced mathmatics.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19467 on: August 09, 2015, 05:45:40 pm »

For as long as the game's been out, and especially since they've increased the build limit, I've wanted to see things like real mountains and valleys that are actually impressive in size.

Have you tried the amplified world type?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19468 on: August 09, 2015, 08:40:06 pm »

there's reasons for mods having bloat and lack of direction

laziness

seriously

"do one thing and do it well" is NOT something people appreciate for mods... thus modpacks existing.
I agree with the laziness comment as building mod packs isn't much fun and modpacks are convenient. It can be time consuming to get a load of mods working together even without balancing things. Some mods clash mechanically in ways the modders couldn't predict and that might only show up late game (I mostly mean progression breaking, crafting unbalances, and similar).

Could be wishful thinking, but I think people would be more discerning of mods if they were easier to install and configure. It's part of the reason the recent stuff about DF mod loading is interesting in my opinion. Maybe I just like this because I would prefer some mods were broken into smaller pieces. Modpacks still offer a more curated experience; Especially with the challenge packs with completely reworked progression.

Unless you meant about mod bloat where a lot of them are like Swiss army knives. You have to install everything and the kitchen sink just to get one really nice block. I figure this is just the result of feature creep and player demand for more. Guess it's also easier in some ways to expand an existing proven project than start anew.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19469 on: August 09, 2015, 08:45:52 pm »

Yeah, you might notice that Elder Scrolls mods are a lot less kitchen-sinky than Minecraft mods; this is AFAIK primarily due to the fact that they are made for a game that is specifically designed to facilitate easy mod installation.
Pages: 1 ... 1296 1297 [1298] 1299 1300 ... 1380