Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1199 1200 [1201] 1202 1203 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425642 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18000 on: August 02, 2013, 08:26:59 pm »

So apparently FTB launcher denies you to put mods together in custom combinations for your server without you filing paperwork with all the mods' 'owners' and getting them to give your specific private server special permission to use the exact combination of exact versions of mods and having them file it with FTB? I'm going back to Technic. I can't ethically have dealings with anyone who supports the particular brand of dangerous, illogical lunacy Minecraft breeds.

Unless they changed that recently? I remember it was a headache back when the server admin at my university wanted to add a mod to the server, and I saw someone mention something about it here.

Could someone explain to me whether or not I need to boycot FTB?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18001 on: August 03, 2013, 01:47:55 am »

One server I use has a slightly customized version of the FTB Ultimate pack. They use the Technic Launcher to distribute since it puts no restrictions on what URL you download the pack from.

So, it's not so much that the FTB launcher is good (it is, kinda, but with artificial restrictions), but the pack itself is kinda nice.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #18002 on: August 03, 2013, 03:09:12 am »

So apparently FTB launcher denies you to put mods together in custom combinations for your server without you filing paperwork with all the mods' 'owners' and getting them to give your specific private server special permission to use the exact combination of exact versions of mods and having them file it with FTB? I'm going back to Technic. I can't ethically have dealings with anyone who supports the particular brand of dangerous, illogical lunacy Minecraft breeds.

Unless they changed that recently? I remember it was a headache back when the server admin at my university wanted to add a mod to the server, and I saw someone mention something about it here.

Could someone explain to me whether or not I need to boycot FTB?

The FTB people are sticklers about getting permissions from mod authors. I find that ironic because they don't have a permissions list, or donation page, or even a fucking list of mods... FTB is a complete clusterfuck of poor communication, people with far too many sticks up their asses, massively inflated egos, and a bunch of idiots that worship them every chance they get.

It's basically just a distilled version of the Minecraft modding community.

Also, I don't like the mod pack that much. There's a lot of "content" (if you call a block that you set and completely forget about "content"), but it doesn't work well together. Far too many conflicting and overlapping things, a lot of imbalance, and a lot of over/under-utilized mods (I LOVE Thaumcraft, but it's annoying to set up). Mod packs just don't work well in general unless they have a single unifying element, which FTB definitely does NOT have.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18003 on: August 03, 2013, 03:59:00 am »

Bringing discussion back to vanilla for a bit; Jeb has tweeted a few things.

Also, he's fixed a few lighting bugs (including greatly reducing the "black spot" problem.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18004 on: August 03, 2013, 08:45:01 am »

Black spot? Oh, you mean like with overhangs how the area doesn't light up until you go right near it?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18005 on: August 03, 2013, 08:47:34 am »

Meh, that screenshot.
It's showing how minecraft generation seems to always be.
Terrain that is supposed to be "highlands" and "mountains" is the same as all the other terrain, just lifted up 30 blocks.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

wathundar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18006 on: August 03, 2013, 09:13:09 am »

(banned troll's post removed)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:20:31 pm by Toady One »

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #18007 on: August 03, 2013, 11:34:35 am »

I look at that screenshot and all I see are more colored variations of blocks that will choke up my inventory.

(I thought there might be vertically-oriented half-blocks now, but when I look more closely, I see that it's just distortion.)

minecraft has to be the most boring game i've ever played, but that's just my opinion though

You get out of Minecraft what you bring into it.  Sandbox games are like that.

edit: rofl, i've only noticed that screenshot, what exactly was changed there? "jeb" is a terrible coder and he should stop coding games

I disagree.  I think he turns out competent code.  He handles the corner cases better than Notch.  He's closing the bug reports, implementing the placeholders.

What I think he's lacking is vision.

Edit: I just checked your recent posts.  You've been here two days, haven't posted a single thing about Dwarf Fortress, and haven't posted a single positive comment about anything at all.

Why are you here?  It looks to me like you're trying to troll.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:39:43 am by 0x517A5D »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18008 on: August 03, 2013, 11:40:46 am »

minecraft has to be the most boring game i've ever played, but that's just my opinion though

edit: rofl, i've only noticed that screenshot, what exactly was changed there? "jeb" is a terrible coder and he should stop coding games

This guy is a remarkably transparent troll who goes to the respective games' threads and insults them vaguely. And as usual for such individuals, ignore him. It's internet white noise.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #18009 on: August 03, 2013, 02:27:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's just hardened clay.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18010 on: August 03, 2013, 03:13:30 pm »

So, how many biomes does everyone think will be added? I'm expecting two or three, maybe four at most.

Edit: In case it's not clear, I mean in the next update, not in the future of Minecraft as a whole.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 03:20:34 pm by Elephant Parade »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18011 on: August 03, 2013, 04:07:15 pm »

Yeah, it looks like the new colored hardened clay, just used as a naturally-occurring block. Frankly, I like the idea of a sandstone mesa. It's nice.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18012 on: August 03, 2013, 05:33:00 pm »

Can someone point me to something I can use to somewhat easily make minecraft skins?

Skincraft isn't all that great (I really need blurring tools), and everything else I've found requires me to keep within certain limits (e.g. paint, photoshop), which I'm not gonna do that well at, or is out of date.

If one program is confining you, save the file and open it in a different program which does the things you need. Need to paint pixel by pixel? Something with Paintlike controls, good old SkinEdit worked pretty well for that. Filters and advanced tools? GIMP or Paint.net. Viewers also come in handy.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18013 on: August 05, 2013, 12:13:37 am »

I tried fixing it with paint, that made the WHOLE hood disappear. I can't use photoshop for the life of me...

Paint doesn't support the tranparent pixels option that is needed to add on things like hoods.  It always replaces transparency with white, and that just ruins trying to change those pixels.  I use the (free) paint.net program whenever I try to edit those things.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18014 on: August 05, 2013, 04:17:30 am »

I tried fixing it with paint, that made the WHOLE hood disappear. I can't use photoshop for the life of me...

Paint doesn't support the tranparent pixels option that is needed to add on things like hoods.  It always replaces transparency with white, and that just ruins trying to change those pixels.  I use the (free) paint.net program whenever I try to edit those things.

Why do you need transparent pixels to add hoods?
Pages: 1 ... 1199 1200 [1201] 1202 1203 ... 1380