Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 938 939 [940] 941 942 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425366 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #14085 on: November 17, 2011, 03:10:33 pm »

Adding an extra world, copying an existing mob to it with a jacked up spawn rate and making a single new mob with a somewhat interesting but extremely tedious combat mechanic is not endgame content. It is a very poor attempt at making a finished game with an ending.

The most interesting thing about The End is the poem thing you get when you 'win'.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14086 on: November 17, 2011, 03:37:59 pm »

(flaming removed)

The biggest problem I have is that mods like IndustrialCraft or w/e is that the point of the game goes from "explore vast landscapes and dig through the deepest caverns you can find. Beware of monsters" to "set up your factory, press button, get sandwich. If you get attacked, your magic armor will withstand anything, so take your time. When you get back, one-shot everything with magic unbreakable sword".

Perhaps I'm overstating the capabilities of your stuff, but that's the impression I get from your description.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:56:18 pm by Toady One »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14087 on: November 17, 2011, 03:42:08 pm »

well sirus, it's not like those thing are already there when you spawn.
you still have to farm them.
they simply add more "bonus" steps.
vanilla:
spawn first time-gather-mine-craft-ameliorate-explore-gather-mine-craft-ameliorate again-explore harder-nether gather-nether mine-nether craft- reach end, fight-o!

with mods:
spawn first time-gather-mine-craft-ameliorate-explore-gather-mine-craft-ameliorate again-explore harder-(craft to make easier craft/mine/gather easier to avoid unnecessary levelling of entire terrain and making bigger building easier to build)-nether gather-nether mine-nether craft-(do antimatter or better-begin industry-go with the power of engines-machineries!-)reach end-fight-o!
none of the () are obligatory, so it's pretty much just more stuff.
U_U
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14088 on: November 17, 2011, 03:44:49 pm »

That is a somewhat apt description once you get a quarry and so forth built, but the mods don't start you with anything more than normal unless you add in TMI and spawn yourself everything, which is defeating the point of going to look for the new blocks you need to harvest to make IC machines/buildcraft gears and machines. Equivalent exchange can speed this up quite a bit with its bunches and bunches of transmutions, but you have to still either TMI-spawn or  gather the materials to start using that mod first.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14089 on: November 17, 2011, 03:45:27 pm »

You are not too far off in the details (industrialcraft's endgame sword and armor do indeed do that... at the cot of boatloads of energy.), but you are missing the big picture. Yes, mods entirely change the point of the game. Yes, eventually you are nigh-unstoppable. But you WORK for that power. And you work hard. For some people(myself included) that's the fun.

Vanilla: "explore vast landscapes and dig through the deepest caverns you can find. Beware of monsters"

Mods: "Rip the landscapes to pieces in search metal, use it to construct elaborate factories, and use those ro produce things that make the monsters a smaller and smaller threat."

That's the POINT. You like the exploring, and that's fine. Others like the construction of giant factories: also fine.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14090 on: November 17, 2011, 03:48:37 pm »

Did I ever once say that your oh-so-precious mods lack new content? No? Then quit putting words in my mouth.

The biggest problem I have is that mods like IndustrialCraft or w/e is that the point of the game goes from "explore vast landscapes and dig through the deepest caverns you can find. Beware of monsters" to "set up your factory, press button, get sandwich. If you get attacked, your magic armor will withstand anything, so take your time. When you get back, one-shot everything with magic unbreakable sword".

Perhaps I'm overstating the capabilities of your stuff, but that's the impression I get from your description.
If I put in the time to get god-tier equipment, which incidentally takes far longer than anything in vanilla to make, then yes I expect to be pretty safe from ordinary mobs.

And yes, I do want these mods to also add in appropriate god-tier challenges for when you HAVE that equipment. I see where you're coming from, the stuff in some of these mods is super overpowered for vanilla minecraft challenges. It's not intended for those challenges though. Its intended for the eventual challenges included in those mods to match the equipment they give, or the challenges put forth by other mods which are nigh impossible with endgame vanilla diamond equipment.

Really it is just different ways to play the game. You seem to be offended that I play my game differently, which I don't understand. Its not like it affects you if I go play with mods, or even cheat.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14091 on: November 17, 2011, 03:49:47 pm »

I guess I'm just not a "machinery" kind of guy.  I'm still fucking stumped by making redstone switches to open doors.  The globe-spanning, solar-powered, automining, do-anything machines that really don't do anything but spit out an increasingly complex material chain makes my head spin.  And I can't stand the guy who makes it.

So hey, have fun with it.  I for one am not knocking any of these crazy mods, I'm just a little sick of having to read through five pages of IndustrialCraft tips any time I want some info what's in the game stock.  I'll stick to my cobblestone castles and diamond shit, and brute force my way to whatever I want to make.  And install the Airship mod, because that's cool and idiotproof.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14092 on: November 17, 2011, 03:51:56 pm »

I guess I'm just not a "machinery" kind of guy.  I'm still fucking stumped by making redstone switches to open doors.  The globe-spanning, solar-powered, automining, do-anything machines that really don't do anything but spit out an increasingly complex material chain makes my head spin.  And I can't stand the guy who makes it.

So hey, have fun with it.  I for one am not knocking any of these crazy mods, I'm just a little sick of having to read through five pages of IndustrialCraft tips any time I want some info what's in the game stock.  I'll stick to my cobblestone castles and diamond shit, and brute force my way to whatever I want to make.  And install the Airship mod, because that's cool and idiotproof.

Hey look, This man was able to state his dislike of particular mods without making a massive rant and acting like they're spawn of satan himself.

Also, I'm pretty sure nobody can stand Alblaka.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14093 on: November 17, 2011, 03:53:41 pm »

Fuck yeah, I hate the guy. I enjoy the mod though.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14094 on: November 17, 2011, 03:53:58 pm »

Hey look, This man was able to state his dislike of particular mods without making a massive rant and acting like they're spawn of satan himself.

Also, I'm pretty sure nobody can stand Alblaka.
Huzzah to Aqizzar.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14095 on: November 17, 2011, 03:54:23 pm »

Did I ever once say that your oh-so-precious mods lack new content? No? Then quit putting words in my mouth.

If I put in the time to get god-tier equipment, which incidentally takes far longer than anything in vanilla to make, then yes I expect to be pretty safe from ordinary mobs.

And yes, I do want these mods to also add in appropriate god-tier challenges for when you HAVE that equipment. I see where you're coming from, the stuff in some of these mods is super overpowered for vanilla minecraft challenges. It's not intended for those challenges though. Its intended for the eventual challenges included in those mods to match the equipment they give, or the challenges put forth by other mods which are nigh impossible with endgame vanilla diamond equipment.

Really it is just different ways to play the game. You seem to be offended that I play my game differently, which I don't understand. Its not like it affects you if I go play with mods, or even cheat.
What I'm offended by is your attitude that Minecraft The Game is nothing more than a vehicle for Giant-Ass Factory and Super Soldier: The Game. A crap-load of new stuff is being released, and your response is to yawn and ignore it until your mods catch up.

Everything else I've said is ranting.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #14096 on: November 17, 2011, 03:55:13 pm »

Alblacka? He's funny...
:P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14097 on: November 17, 2011, 03:55:26 pm »

Fuck yeah, I hate the guy. I enjoy the mod though.

At least HAYO the HAYO wiki has HAYO impro-HAYO-ved a little-HAYO bit since it HA-was-YO it Ha-YO-d all that shit on it.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14098 on: November 17, 2011, 04:00:12 pm »

What I'm offended by is your attitude that Minecraft The Game is nothing more than a vehicle for Giant-Ass Factory and Super Soldier: The Game. A crap-load of new stuff is being released, and your response is to yawn and ignore it until your mods catch up.

Everything else I've said is ranting.

Can you list the crap-load of new stuff?

We have empty villages which are already in. Are the villagers going to be back in and working properly?

We have a new dimension which can be reached by a one-way portal which takes a fair amount of effort to complete. I like that.

Unfortunately the new dimension is tiny, populated by a single mob we've already seen, and ruled by a single new 'boss' mob who's primary attack is ramming into you randomly. Killing him is interesting, though extremely tedious. After you kill him, you get an unusable egg and a 'win' screen.

We will have a fairly ordinary enchanting system and a fairly ordinary potion system.

The problem I have with this is that the mods I use are more complex, more feature complete and more FUN than any of this stuff sounds.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the game... but I only like it because it enables some of these fantastic mods. The vanilla game holds no interest for me at all. It is limited and extremely mundane.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14099 on: November 17, 2011, 04:03:42 pm »

That's my response as well. Why? Because, for all the new things added, I am not interested in any of them. Not in the least. I don't care to fight a giant boss, nor do I want to hunt through ruins for treasure. I have other games for that, and in my opinion they do it better. The parts of Minecraft I enjoy are not being updated in the LEAST by this. And if you find the idea of modding a game so much offensive... have you never heard of Total Conversion mods? Or... even LOOKED at the variety of stuff for bethesda's games?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 938 939 [940] 941 942 ... 1380