Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2426178 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #13665 on: November 02, 2011, 10:18:49 am »

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a438/Briggsy16/2011-11-02_151418.png

Why aren't these solar panels creating power? You can see the left text saying 0 EU/t but it says it's receiving the sun in the menu for it.

Is it bugged? Pretty damn annoying if it is because I made 20 of the things.

Same problem I had. For some reason solar generators cannot be next to each other. they have to be diagonal. That's why people make solar flowers.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13666 on: November 02, 2011, 10:20:03 am »

Even one by itself isn't making any power, I just tested it

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13667 on: November 02, 2011, 10:24:45 am »

Each solar panel creates 1EU/t of power. A copper cable loses 1EU of power every 5 blocks. This means that if the length of the cable is 5 or more, then the solar panel cannot produce power, as its all lost.

Just throw a batbox somewhere close enough to concentrate the power to a single packet.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13668 on: November 02, 2011, 10:27:11 am »

Also, If they're not actively transmitting power into something, they don't display any reading.

So if your energy storage device is full, or you don't have them running into any machines that are in use, it'll display 0.

I just tested it and I got 3EU/t from my 3 solar panels and 1EU/t from my single on, feeding into a Batbox.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13669 on: November 02, 2011, 10:37:18 am »

Each solar panel creates 1EU/t of power. A copper cable loses 1EU of power every 5 blocks. This means that if the length of the cable is 5 or more, then the solar panel cannot produce power, as its all lost.

Just throw a batbox somewhere close enough to concentrate the power to a single packet.
Without a better picture I'd say this is your main problem. As I understand it, power in IC2 is not aggregated, it is done in discreet 'packets'. Each solar panel is sending a 'packet' of 1 power off towards any device which requests it. If that device is more than 5 lengths of copper cable away, the packet wouldn't make it so it isn't sent at all. IC2 will never send power to a device that is so far away it would not get any due to loss.

Make sure that your solar panels are no more than 4 cables away from something like a battbox. The battbox sends packets of 32e which can travel a lot further. It still loses 1 per 5 over insulated copper but it will power something farther away because it is a larger packet of energy.

I hope that makes any sense at all.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13670 on: November 02, 2011, 10:46:20 am »

You could also swap to tin cable, it only loses 1EU per 40 blocks.
Can't insulate it though, but so far that only matters if you're going to have to walk close to it, which you shouldn't if it's just a rooftop array.
*Hugs*

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13671 on: November 02, 2011, 10:54:18 am »

Yes it makes a lot of sense and I've just made a batbox and just sleeping ingame now. Will test after.

Working! Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:00:40 am by Briggsy16 »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #13672 on: November 02, 2011, 11:01:51 am »

lol, i tried using tincable to protect my house XD
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13673 on: November 02, 2011, 11:08:20 am »

lol, i tried using tincable to protect my house XD
It work?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13674 on: November 02, 2011, 11:19:46 am »

It works, although I don't know if zaps drain energy. They don't deal too much damage per zap, so it takes like three or four to take down a mob.

It's real handy for keeping spiders off the roof.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13675 on: November 02, 2011, 11:37:08 am »

It works, although I don't know if zaps drain energy. They don't deal too much damage per zap, so it takes like three or four to take down a mob.

It's real handy for keeping spiders off the roof.
Damage should scale up with the current running through the line. I know some uninsulated HV cables fried the fuck out of mobs when I left them outside.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13676 on: November 02, 2011, 11:47:10 am »

In a constantly-running fence I'm looking more for low cost in terms of energy, as it'll always be on. Uninsulated cables generally have a pretty poor resistance for carrying a charge a long distance. Tin cables can carry for a long ways but only small amounts, and the only way to send current through them is directly powering them with solars, no transformer scales down to them.

I suppose I could use a very short uninsulated higher-tier cable on an already existing network for a mob-farm type deal.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13677 on: November 02, 2011, 11:50:36 am »

Well if you can make a lot of battboxes you could put the boxes in the fenceposts to mitigate loss I suppose. Remember that the current needs to be flowing as well, so the fence would have to be connected to something which draws a load.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13678 on: November 02, 2011, 11:52:38 am »

In a constantly-running fence I'm looking more for low cost in terms of energy, as it'll always be on. Uninsulated cables generally have a pretty poor resistance for carrying a charge a long distance. Tin cables can carry for a long ways but only small amounts, and the only way to send current through them is directly powering them with solars, no transformer scales down to them.

I suppose I could use a very short uninsulated higher-tier cable on an already existing network for a mob-farm type deal.

Do you need a transformer? If connected to a bat box won't they just drain power slowly?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13679 on: November 02, 2011, 12:17:40 pm »

Homemade electric fence(in this case, coil). You have to put a batbox every 3 tiles to make it run indefinately. Only thing is that you cant hook it up to anything the produces power, cause that would fill up the system.

Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1380