Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419591 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8790 on: April 07, 2011, 09:11:19 pm »

OH well, I bet someone else will make a better game that has this someday...
I don't take passive-aggressive bullshit either.
Nobody directed it toward you, so you don't need to take it.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8791 on: April 07, 2011, 09:31:17 pm »

Err.... How about we drop the discussion about people complaining? All it will ever be is "Shut up fanboiz" and "Shut up cumplainuz".
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8792 on: April 07, 2011, 10:46:18 pm »

Meanwhile his promises of actual gameplay for minecraft seem to be slowly fading away.

D:
To be fair, Minecraft as we know it basically came about through Notch trying to make a game with actual gameplay, before realizing it was a lot more fun to just build stuff.

Also, weather and better fishing during the rain sounds like a step (or potential step) towards the more survival-y aspects of gameplay to me.
It is fun. But sadly, it also gets boring fast. Some more survival + gameplay aspects would be nice.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8793 on: April 07, 2011, 10:53:31 pm »

Meanwhile his promises of actual gameplay for minecraft seem to be slowly fading away.

D:
To be fair, Minecraft as we know it basically came about through Notch trying to make a game with actual gameplay, before realizing it was a lot more fun to just build stuff.

Also, weather and better fishing during the rain sounds like a step (or potential step) towards the more survival-y aspects of gameplay to me.
It is fun. But sadly, it also gets boring fast. Some more survival + gameplay aspects would be nice.

Mmm... but the more you move towards survival + gameplay, the harder it'll be for people to build awesome things. Which would obviously create conflict with those gamers who see Minecraft as a "creativity toy with monsters" instead of a "survival game with construction".

Hence why I'm waiting eagerly for the mod API. When the prospect of a new version doesn't set off alarm bells in the modding community, we might be able to assemble some awesome survival-focused mods. (And by 'we', I mean 'people with a heck of a lot of time on their hands who make me stuff for free.'  ;D )

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8794 on: April 07, 2011, 11:13:04 pm »

Tip: Pistons + mob spawners = fun.

Also, has anynoe been nice enough to edit the industrial mod and all the other mods it needs together into one nice package?
Hell, with pistons being added, I think I finally have one of the primary ingredients for my Tomb of Terrors to be created. Egyptian style should at least allow for style points and nifty riddles and nifty ways of pulling them off.

I'm still willing to commit to working on it, since I should have the time to get cracking on some tricks and draw up some plans that involve the work of pistons, gravity, and so forth. Actually, collapsing bridges should he a hell of alot easier to create now, and we can aim them too, regarding the physics of how they fly.

O====O↓O====O
O====O%O====O

+++++++++++++
+++++++++++++
+++++++++++++

O====O%O====O
O====O↑O====O

Arrows are where sand blocks are launched into the suspended sand bridge (made in MCEdit). Alternatively, the sand block can be launched from beneath and center of the bridge at the bottom of the pit (redstone and pistons hidden beneath the floor, obscured only by the launched sand block). Another crossing method can also use the launching mechanism with a lava or bottomless pit and sand/gravel launched upwards for crossing. You'd have to time your jumps, and some jumps may require some good timing. Get the trajectories down, and you can unlock a path to cross the pit. I would advise filling the path before triggering the launchers.

Another nifty setup can be 1-time triggers. To prevent multi-triggering repeaters, hit the button, and a piston seals the block(s) the trigger is placed at the same time it triggers what it was intended to toggled.

I also have a neat setup idea that involves a little trickery and layering pistons. It would be a 1-way trigger, but it can be accomplished from an initially compact state. I call it the mega-piston, or Minecraft Spring (1-time version; unless someone can design a retractable version).

Think of a train or column of nothing but pistons (let's say 10 of them)
→→→→→→→→→→
That's pre-trigger. Here's post-trigger:
→ → → → → → → → → →

That is provided all of them trigger simultaneously from 1 switch at the base or something, otherwise, let's hope you can find a way to trigger all of them simultaneously from the beginning or incrementally with pre-placed redstone triggers to toggle each piston (possibly with a need of a repeater to trigger them as they climb up. I can imagine that provided they all are triggered at the same time from the beginning, they can move pretty damn fast. Speedy traps or chasing walls anyone? Hell, RAILGUNS anyone? About 20 linked pistons, 1 toggle, and a sand/gravel block at the end of the piston muzzle. This can also make one hell of an orbital trampoline (at least for the first launch).

I can imagine some bridges that can be made that form out of seemingly bottomless pits using these. It's simple enough to make on it's own. Another idea with the piston train is filling a room with mob spawners when you least expect it. Remember, →→→O can become → → → O (moved 3 blocks relatively). You can hide some nasty traps, and push a considerable amount of blocks like that. Original example can shove 10 blocks that make up a wall easily (sealing rooms and tunnels anyone?). Mob spawners are no problem to hide from an unsuspecting victim. Just provide the right trigger, and run like hell after you're forced to trigger it (pressure plate JUST after or in a doorway).

If you really want to go overboard, go similar to the self-building/repairing bridge method, and have a passing sequence that collapses a cave/tunnel progressively. We can also fill in sand pits (provided you're playing a house rule that prevents you from collecting any building blocks unless treasure chest supplied).

Now I want to do some piston experiments, and see if I can illustrate some of my ideas to implement. I can't wait until the official release of them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:46:03 pm by Itnetlolor »

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8795 on: April 08, 2011, 12:23:32 am »

I had to delete some flame posts.  It you disagree with each other, try to be nice about it.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8796 on: April 08, 2011, 12:36:22 am »

Yeah, sorry about that. I really should compose myself better.

So the Nations at War thing I was in has sort of ended in a sense. The creator wants to add a much larger map with new features and systems, so his team is currently working on a new map. Players are given access to a freebuild server where they can make things that could possibly be moved to the new server as special landmarks. But now I have absolutely no idea what to build. Blerg, I need some good architecture examples for inspiration.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #8797 on: April 08, 2011, 12:46:41 am »

Notre Dame Cathedral in 3:1 scale? Eiffel Tower? Sphinx? A pyramid, but the top half or so has a massive fist breaking out from it (I'd do a quick shop to show you what I mean, but it would be hard on iStuff)

Edit: for the fist, imagine this on the top half of the pyramid, perhaps with a little more pyramid around it
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:50:40 am by RedWarrior0 »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8798 on: April 08, 2011, 12:49:38 am »

Reconstruct several DF megaprojects?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8799 on: April 08, 2011, 01:16:13 am »

Notre Dame Cathedral in 3 1:1 scale?
Don't even pretend like someone wouldn't do it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8800 on: April 08, 2011, 01:47:44 am »

I found a gun. :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"rana" is a pretty awesome seed.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8801 on: April 08, 2011, 01:55:33 am »

Edit: for the fist, imagine this on the top half of the pyramid, perhaps with a little more pyramid around it
Add a red spiky semi-circular bladed ring to it, and you've got the emblem of my airship.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:14:48 am by Itnetlolor »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8802 on: April 08, 2011, 07:53:50 am »

D:

Mmm... but the more you move towards survival + gameplay, the harder it'll be for people to build awesome things. Which would obviously create conflict with those gamers who see Minecraft as a "creativity toy with monsters" instead of a "survival game with construction".

Hence why I'm waiting eagerly for the mod API. When the prospect of a new version doesn't set off alarm bells in the modding community, we might be able to assemble some awesome survival-focused mods. (And by 'we', I mean 'people with a heck of a lot of time on their hands who make me stuff for free.'  ;D )

You act as though 'peaceful' mode does not exist.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8803 on: April 08, 2011, 08:05:08 am »

I only use peaceful for when I'm making awesome pieces of art.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8804 on: April 08, 2011, 09:42:15 am »

Industrial craft is being worked on for SMP, yay! Just...don't ask how long it's gonna take.
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 1380