Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420646 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4515 on: September 23, 2010, 03:52:16 pm »

Ask the next creeper you see for directions?

Of course, you would always render a cartographer map. <.<

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: September 23, 2010, 03:53:53 pm »

Any particular suggestions for finding caverns? I much prefer exploring those as to digging around.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: September 23, 2010, 03:57:57 pm »

Well, the first layer of caves is usually around 10-20 tiles bellow the surface. So digging and going around under the ground digging works. Of course, the way the maps are made, there are hotspots for caves and really cold spots where there wont be a single cave.

So if you see a cave on the surface, changes are there are more around that area, so dig around from that initial cave in all sorts of directions. Including down. They tend to layer.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: September 23, 2010, 04:00:14 pm »

Run around on the surface and hope you'll find one. Sometimes they're huge, sometimes not.
Or dig randomly.
I haven't used cartographer so I'm not sure, but you could try look for magma pools or water springs.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: September 23, 2010, 04:00:39 pm »

I have a problem.

It seems I walked too far away from my cave, and now I can't find it. I was hoping the torches(around my cave) would guide me, but I can't seem to find them. What do you suggest I do?  :-\

I have some valuable stuff on me, including a diamond sword.
Assuming you can get to your cave from your spawn point easily (and most people who have ever explored caves probably loathe the trip by now), here is what you do:
First, build a fort. Second, get plenty of wood. Third, make several stone pickaxes (or iron, depending on how much you value it). Fourth, make around 100 ladders. Fourth, dig stright down from your fort. When you hit the bottom, dig a room out until you find redstone; it shouldn't be too tough. Finally, ensure you have 4 iron bars, then create a compass (redstone in center with 4 iron surrounding it). The compass points you towards your spawn point.

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: September 23, 2010, 04:13:21 pm »

Why do I need a fort for that?
Also, I don't have alot of decent supplies on me. Most of them are in a chest back at the main fort.
I didn't take alot because I was mostly planning on spider hunting. I'll try to get the iron bars/redstone though.
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: September 23, 2010, 04:25:33 pm »

Why do I need a fort for that?
Also, I don't have alot of decent supplies on me. Most of them are in a chest back at the main fort.
I didn't take alot because I was mostly planning on spider hunting. I'll try to get the iron bars/redstone though.

You need a fort so zombies don't exclaim, "Hey, cool, a hole. Let's jump down it!" while you're mining at the bottom of said hole.  :P

Yep, finding redstone and making a compass is probably the easiest in-game way. That said, redstone tends to be found fairly deep in the ground (roughly magma level, IIRC).

The other, faster, and arguably cheaper way is, as Soul suggested, generate a map in cartographer. Build something easily-identifiable from the air at your current location, preferably an arrow or the like (so you can orient yourself relative to the arrow). Find both your mark and your base. Using your mark's arrow as a guide, plot a course from your current position back to base. And volia! you've returned home alive and thankful that fantasy worlds with stone tools have high-resolution spy satellites in orbit directly above your current position.  :D

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: September 23, 2010, 04:28:58 pm »

Spade, if you ever get back to your fort, build something gigantic on top that you can see from a distance.  Really helps.  Mine is a 14- or 15- level high candelabra with over 70 torches.  Kind of hard to NOT see that one.

Thanks for the destroying tip- I'll have to find me some lava.

Speaking of things that are awesome, I had a question about some of the file editing that can be done.  I don't want help creating my fortresses or anything (that kind of defeats the purpose), but I would very much like to change my weather.  My entire map is snow, which means every outdoor body of water is frozen solid.  One of the things I want to do is have an underwater section in my empire, and that loses some of its appeal when all you see is ice.

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: September 23, 2010, 04:31:31 pm »

(Don't need to worry about the fort because I'm a sissy and play on peaceful)
I did try to build something high up, but I guess it wasn't high enough(especially without torches)

I found a random cave, and I was suprised when I entered a room with a box of fire in the middle. There was also a chest contraining some bread, 4 redstone, 3 smelted iron, and a string. Of course I explored more to find another iron vein, but now I have a compass.

Hopfully I'll be back at the fort soon.

Thanks for the help.
DungeonEscape

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: September 23, 2010, 04:45:48 pm »

Gah, can someone with a vanilla minecraft.jar file post it? I did the better grass mod that was posted not to long ago and I'm not sure but it appears that it may be causing the game to spontaneously crash for me.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4525 on: September 23, 2010, 04:46:24 pm »

So, I had some ideas for psudo-games for SMP once health and monsters are in. Any of these sound like fun?

- Iron Man: Everyone starts at the same time. No respawning- if you die, you spawn in a locked room with other losers. Players may not harm one another.

- Hunter Game: As Iron Man, but: Game starts with everyone surrounding a chest with a few weapons and tools. Once the actual game begins, it's a free-for-all to see who survives. Going for the chest provides a few tools, but leaves you a sitting duck. Players have to live off the land until they are the last one alive. There may be a border of some kind, or possibly ever-improving weapons in the chest, to draw players in.

- Traitor: As Iron Man, but: Many players start together with no resources. One, or possibly more, players are picked by the ops as a traitor. The goal of all the normal players is to build a tower of metal, gold, or diamonds, (or for ultra-hard mode, brick) of a certain height, demanding co-operation. The goal of the traitor(s) is to kill everyone else. I'm not sure if allowing players to try to use chat as they're being killed by the traitor is good or bad.

- Cart Race: Ops place carts on tracks some distance apart. Two teams race to get their cart to the enemy starting track, mining metal, cutting wood, and making the track as they go. Destroying track is forbidden, though you can use enemy track for your cart.

- Spleeper: (creeper\spleef) You may not harm other players directly, but have 4,8,16,32, or 64 units of TNT in your inventroy. Last one alive wins. Construction with rock and debris may be allowed; since it's such a fast game, may be repeated several times and usually in the same arena, making for well-worn terrain after a while.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: September 23, 2010, 04:52:01 pm »

After swimming through the ocean for at least ten minutes, I see a beautiful sight: The bridge I built!  :D

I'm back home.
Now to store some useless stuff, get some useful stuff, and go adventuring again.
DungeonEscape

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: September 23, 2010, 05:02:47 pm »

So hey guys, help me out.  I've been scrounging across this map for days now, but I've yet to build a single structure.  I've been living in a dungeon room that I found on my first day, almost at ground level and connected to the surface by an open cave.  Since then, I've mostly been exploring natural caves and mining, and taking a few multi-day trips for clay.  I've amassed about 2500 stone and plenty of other materials, and I'm more than ready to build.  But I can't decide where.

Spoiler: The Environs (click to show/hide)

My spawn-point is somewhere in that weird notch southeast of my home cave; I'm thinking of building a rail line out there from wherever I put my house, in case I ever need it.  These mountains are all cloud-level in most places.  What looks like a good place to plunk down a needlessly large castle-manor?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: September 23, 2010, 05:11:29 pm »

So, I had some ideas for psudo-games for SMP once health and monsters are in. Any of these sound like fun?
2fort arena. In a 2fort map replica, two teams get picked at random, starting with bow and 64 arrows... The goal is to kill the other team. Destroying walls and building is allowed, so is tnt. Each team will have around 10 blocks of tnt to use.

The map is reset and restarted after each round.

So hey guys, help me out.
On the island to the left of the clay mines, obviously. No evil empire goes without an evil base on an evil island.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: September 23, 2010, 05:15:12 pm »

Kinda depends on what you have envisioned.
The mountains west and east of home looks large enough to fit a castle building, though not high if its already at cloud level.
Perhaps a construction on the isle in the middle of the lake, some underwater tunnels or similar.
A straight cliff face can be interesting and it seems you have one just by your home.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 1380