Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421592 times)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4800 on: September 29, 2010, 05:39:31 pm »

My signature has an example Overviewer map in it. Yes, it uses a bit of space. Using something like pngcrush or optipng helps tremendously though. Even though skylands is huge the map in my sig isn't more than 200mb.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: September 29, 2010, 05:39:41 pm »

:o

i thought minecraft was only a $5.00 game!

its now $10 in euro!
whats that make it in dollars?!
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: September 29, 2010, 05:41:13 pm »

:o

i thought minecraft was only a $5.00 game!

its now $10 in euro!
whats that make it in dollars?!
14 Canadian, 12 American
I've played a guitar with my penis.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: September 29, 2010, 07:34:57 pm »

Found the Lifted Lake, yay.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4805 on: September 29, 2010, 08:19:18 pm »

The guy is making a ridiculous amount of money for what is essentially an unfinished tile-based simulation.

I'll pay when the price becomes reasonable, or the game is done.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: September 29, 2010, 08:26:10 pm »

The guy is making a ridiculous amount of money for what is essentially an unfinished tile-based simulation.

The price is gonna go up. Get it now or be sad. Very sad.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: September 29, 2010, 08:33:23 pm »

Well...
c10t latest snapshot is still broken on my machine.
Still no isometric Jaycraft maps.
Cartograph is too slow to generate all of these maps at a reasonable frequency, so unless somebody has some other alternative...

EDIT: Cartograph crashes on trying to render a map anyway.
FFFFUUUUU-

What seems to be the problem? c10t builds and runs just fine here.
Well, the fact that I never did bother to learn how to compile things on Windows probably has something to do with it...
But anyway...
The issue -- http://github.com/udoprog/c10t/issues#issue/41
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: September 29, 2010, 08:35:44 pm »

The price is gonna go up. Get it now or be sad. Very sad.

Yep, this. The price is unlikely to fall. From a business perspective, there's no logical reason to lower it; Notch is selling plenty of copies at the current price. From a consumer-relations perspective, however, it's a horrible idea to lower it. Minecraft fans are... rabid... at the best of times, and a lot of them purchased the game under the belief that the price would be going up once the game leaves alpha. If the game dropped in price instead, we'd be facing a small revolution.  :o

If you want to wait until the game is done, that's fine - but understand that you'll have to pay full-price (twice the current price) for waiting. If you actually intend to purchase the game at some point, do it now, while it's cheap; if you're genuinely worried that the game might not be finished, and you don't believe you'd get your money's worth with the game in its current state, then I fully understand waiting and not gambling. I personally think it's more than worth my dollars at the moment, with the promise of any future 'completion' being more of a bonus; but it's your money, your call.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: September 29, 2010, 09:16:30 pm »

Notch is making Three hundred thousand dollars a day (apparently). The price isn't going to drop any time soon.

But yes. I was indignant and outraged at the fact he charges for it. But then my cousin bought me it for my birthday. Problem solvered.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: September 29, 2010, 09:24:49 pm »

Holy shit. Now, I can respect that.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: September 29, 2010, 09:27:04 pm »

$10 is the magic number that everybody shrugs off as not that much money to spend so might as well.

God dayum wizards.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: September 29, 2010, 09:29:55 pm »

Yeah, I think he charges too much. I regard Dwarf Fortress as a much better and more enjoyable game then the current state of Minecraft and I've donated only slightly more to Toady then I did to pay for Minecraft. Kinda makes me feel guilty enough to donate to Toady again, if only I wasn't a poor university student. :( Oh well, it's still a great game.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: September 29, 2010, 09:35:12 pm »

Notch is making Three hundred thousand dollars a day (apparently). The price isn't going to drop any time soon.

Actually, it's about $300000 total based on how many purchases he's had by the price.  Which means he's actually lost quite a bit of that money to Paypal (who still want all of it anyway), and Swedish taxes, and who knows what else.  Not that six figures in less than two years isn't impressive.

Personally, I consider the game as is more than a great deal for $10, and I honestly don't have any idea what a "finished" Minecraft would ever be.  I think we're all just a little spoiled by most "indie" games being free.  By comparison, I think I've spent in donations around $200 to Toady, making Dwarf Fortress the most expensive game I've ever had by far.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: September 29, 2010, 09:43:18 pm »

I don't understand the complaints about the price either. Sometimes games I spend 50 bucks on only give me a fraction of the hours I've put into Minecraft.

It's cheap, it really is. More importantly, it's worth it.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 1380