Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1358 1359 [1360] 1361 1362 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2426001 times)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #20385 on: August 14, 2017, 05:39:09 am »

The link below suggests that connected textures do cause additional lag on chunk borders.

https://www.xtremeidiots.com/forums/topic/66333-server-lag-and-you-a-guide-for-sustainable-building-1710-pack/

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20386 on: August 16, 2017, 03:05:59 am »

I just realised something.

When did people stop connecting various builds with road/tunnel networks?

I remember everyone used to do that back when I started playing multiplayer MC, but I've not seen in in... probably years at this point.

Wonder if it was the introduction of sprinting, or everyone realising you can use the coordinates to find your way instead.

EDIT: And if anyone remembers the Skylands map from Beta, someone updated it.

I know there were some fairly large ones built up in Civcraft (think some aboveground as well), before they tried to splinter the world across multiple servers and killed it.  I contributed to one myself to connect the Bay 12 base to Canada's lines, with future plans to link up to an area south of us, but the mining for the 4 track line was only just completed when the server was killed.

Edit: Might be a combination of distance, fear of griefers, lesser organization between people, and other reasons.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:19:23 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20387 on: August 16, 2017, 02:41:03 pm »

I almost always make some form of road network.

Unless the server has railcraft in which case I make minecart and train networks

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #20388 on: August 16, 2017, 07:14:53 pm »

Hey so, my son and I started a YouTube channel earlier this year and we are now about to hit 1,000 subscribers tonight (most likely).

Our channel name is: Planet Milo

To celebrate, I decided to get a couple of server up and running. I have one running vanilla in creative and the second one is running the Farming Valley modpack.

Tonight, I will livestream the vanilla server and I will be inviting the random public of youtube to come in and celebrate with us. I wanted to invite you all in as well since this is the one and only forum I might call home and I fondly remember the "good ol days" with JayCraft here.

running minecraft version 1.12
I AM REMOVING THE IP for now...

Livestream starts at 7pm PST

Feel free to login whenever

PLease dont be or invite jerks, we got kids in here.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:29:46 pm by ductape »
I got nothing

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20389 on: August 16, 2017, 07:58:22 pm »

Good luck. Last time I posted a Minecraft server publicly it ended poorly.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #20390 on: August 16, 2017, 10:27:03 pm »

Good luck. Last time I posted a Minecraft server publicly it ended poorly.

I expect as much, its just a vanilla creative world and we pretty much trashed the whole spawn area already.

I will need to look into a better way to gate people in on the next iteration.
I got nothing

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20391 on: August 17, 2017, 04:24:57 am »

The thing is, every server I went on during the beta had everyone joined together by a road network unless they went really far away. As I said, though, nowadays I never see roads unless people are living practically next door to one another.
I see them in private servers. Usually through the Nether.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20392 on: August 19, 2017, 04:13:58 am »

Roads are a significant time and material investment. Definately only worthwhile if a server doesn't plan on resetting any time soon. But at minimum you would want to slash and burn a path between frequently visited areas.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20393 on: August 19, 2017, 06:37:37 am »

PTTG's vanilla minecraft survival sever had roads.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20394 on: August 20, 2017, 07:38:27 pm »

Roads and bridges look so cool, but when playing singleplayer I won't use them as it doesn't really make sense. Specially in modified tech packs I use that in a day or two you can have Mekanism or RFTools teleporters up.

But playing with friends, I'll always have roads because it simply looks great, especially on JourneyMap. With the wild grass or whatever, that I don't remember being so widespread on earlier versions, it really gives a great feeling of the player(s) shaping the world.

I do really wish some mods would add enemy AI factions that could build their own towns, gather their own stuff, and try to put pressure on you to fight for the territory. "Survival" in Minecraft loses meaning once you get stone tools, wood planks and a few seeds. Would love to see the world biting back.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #20395 on: August 30, 2017, 12:30:23 pm »

PTTG's vanilla minecraft survival sever had roads.

I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED.

Roads were generally pretty useful, or if not roads, paths. Mainly they help against being lost.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #20396 on: September 02, 2017, 02:05:14 am »

Two questions:
1. Is it possible to create 3x3 "whoops, floor removed" trap? I made it like this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All work fast and perfectly, but piston in the middle can't be removed even in wonky way, since if i place torch to activate it, there are no place for another piston to destroy it, and if i place redstone block, it jams piston under him in activated state. What should i do?

2.Can someone find for me skin of this one:
I 100% sure i seen properly done skin of her somewhere (but didn't downloaded for some reason)
, but now i just can't find ANYTHING about it. If i search for "kohaku skin" i get a bunch of stupid unrelated skins, if i search for "magical amber skin", i don't get anything about minecraft at all. Why, duh. I want that skin.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20397 on: September 02, 2017, 08:45:26 am »

1. Is it possible to create 3x3 "whoops, floor removed" trap?

It might be too slow and the redstone behavior might change when rotated 90 degrees but take a look at 3x3 piston doors.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #20398 on: September 02, 2017, 10:56:21 am »

Eh, a bit not the thing i wanted,  but thanks anyways.
On second - found Meidassador skin for team fortress 2 xD. Close enough. Bad thing i don't play it anymore.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 11:44:11 am by MCreeper »

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20399 on: November 01, 2017, 05:14:12 pm »

Does anyone have advice on cart switching systems that are not to hard to implement with vanilla redstone?

I've got 5 cities, one's a hub at the center with spokes out to each of the other 4.  I want an easy ridealong method for people to be able to get to anywhere ideally without having to dismount their cart or only having to dismount it once or twice.  Crackshot+ trains will be in but I do not want them to be necessarily for lite transit.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers
Pages: 1 ... 1358 1359 [1360] 1361 1362 ... 1380