Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1208 1209 [1210] 1211 1212 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2425379 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #18135 on: November 01, 2013, 06:11:44 pm »

Anyone have seeds for 1.72 to recommend? Seems like most of the top seeds list are focusing on the new biomes (Oh, look! Brown clay! Yay for fancy dirt! Oh, wow! Really tall mountains!) rather than actually playable worlds.
Am I the only one that noticed Minecraft doesn't actually update with new content, they just take things from popular mods?

No. You're not.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18136 on: November 01, 2013, 06:14:49 pm »

Anyone have seeds for 1.72 to recommend? Seems like most of the top seeds list are focusing on the new biomes (Oh, look! Brown clay! Yay for fancy dirt! Oh, wow! Really tall mountains!) rather than actually playable worlds.
Am I the only one that noticed Minecraft doesn't actually update with new content, they just take things from popular mods?

No. You're not.

Usually 1 year behind the times as well. Usually missing something. Nothing new to see here.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18137 on: November 01, 2013, 06:15:17 pm »

Well it's not that bad, in my opinion.
But yes, some original features would be nice.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18138 on: November 01, 2013, 06:16:50 pm »

Well it's not that bad, in my opinion.
But yes, some original features would be nice.

On the other hand, it's pretty hard to add something that is not already featured in some mod, and most requested features have some overlap between the mods and the stuff that is prioritized for getting added.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18139 on: November 01, 2013, 06:18:55 pm »

While technically taken from a mod, I still think vanilla cubic chunks would be the best thing that could be implemented, combine with 3d biome selection so that we could actually have underground biomes.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18140 on: November 01, 2013, 06:24:39 pm »

Mojang had rideable pigs and cows could have followed. Way later they added horses and didn't put in wings or horns or much in the way of breeding. They could have gone crazy with pigs and cows and even sheep. Imagine sheep mounts... Hilarious. Instead they gimped an old mod. Castrated it. Everything in the past 2+ years has done this. Even when they do recolors they leave things out. Stuff that's commonly paired lacks a full recolor.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:32:54 pm by BigD145 »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18141 on: November 01, 2013, 06:29:48 pm »

Mojang had rideable pigs and cows could have followed. Way later they added horses and didn't put in wings or horns or much in the way of breeding. They could have gone crazy with pigs and cows and even sheep. Imagine sheep mounts... Hilarious. Instead they gimped an old mod. Castrated it. Everything in the past 2+ years has done this.
Who's even in charge of creative design at Mojang anymore? It used to be Markus ran the place with an iron fist (in my imagination shush), but now he's stepped off the whole thing, what's actually... happening? I still have no idea and I've had years where I could have found out.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18142 on: November 01, 2013, 06:37:53 pm »

Mojang had rideable pigs and cows could have followed. Way later they added horses and didn't put in wings or horns or much in the way of breeding. They could have gone crazy with pigs and cows and even sheep. Imagine sheep mounts... Hilarious. Instead they gimped an old mod. Castrated it. Everything in the past 2+ years has done this.
Who's even in charge of creative design at Mojang anymore? It used to be Markus ran the place with an iron fist (in my imagination shush), but now he's stepped off the whole thing, what's actually... happening? I still have no idea and I've had years where I could have found out.

Dinnerbone, mostly. I don't think he even has any idea what to do with the game, he just adds what people want him to add.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18143 on: November 02, 2013, 01:11:29 am »

No real surprise. The game is commercial now, Notch is gone, they've made their money and there's probably not much incentive to do anything particularly well.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18144 on: November 02, 2013, 03:12:45 am »

Mojang had rideable pigs and cows could have followed. Way later they added horses and didn't put in wings or horns or much in the way of breeding. They could have gone crazy with pigs and cows and even sheep. Imagine sheep mounts... Hilarious. Instead they gimped an old mod. Castrated it. Everything in the past 2+ years has done this. Even when they do recolors they leave things out. Stuff that's commonly paired lacks a full recolor.
Alright, just to avoid getting involved in this entire argument, I'ma restrict myself to some fact-checking here: Mojang didn't "copy" the horses from any mod. Nor did they do so worse than the mod. Why do I say this? Because, the coder who made Mo' Creatures worked with them directly on it.

Those horses weren't a poorly done ripoff, they were literally Mojang approaching a member of the community to integrate their mod into the game. It ain't a copy - it's borrowed with permission, the more magical features removed to fit vanilla minecraft's feel better. Mojang has proven quite willing to pull in help from their (rather amazing, underneath all the threats and shouting and general inanity) community to make the game better.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18145 on: November 02, 2013, 03:19:33 am »

Yes, Dr Zhark helped with the horses, but that doesn't make them any less a copy of content from his mod...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18146 on: November 02, 2013, 03:31:09 am »

The horses always remind me of LEGO horses, though other then that none of it really effects me since I use Minecraft pretty much only for building houses and mansions in creative mode.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18147 on: November 02, 2013, 07:52:55 am »

Alright, just to avoid getting involved in this entire argument, I'ma restrict myself to some fact-checking here: Mojang didn't "copy" the horses from any mod. Nor did they do so worse than the mod. Why do I say this? Because, the coder who made Mo' Creatures worked with them directly on it.

Those horses weren't a poorly done ripoff, they were literally Mojang approaching a member of the community to integrate their mod into the game. It ain't a copy - it's borrowed with permission, the more magical features removed to fit vanilla minecraft's feel better. Mojang has proven quite willing to pull in help from their (rather amazing, underneath all the threats and shouting and general inanity) community to make the game better.

The point was that the devs basically stopped trying to maintain some sort of a consistent direction for the game and just keep porting popular mods to vanilla. At this point it's more maintenance than development.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18148 on: November 02, 2013, 10:13:03 am »

the more magical features removed to fit vanilla minecraft's feel better

Dragons. Witches. Enchantment system. Potions. Portals. Endermen.

You were saying something about magic?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18149 on: November 02, 2013, 10:22:14 am »

the more magical features removed to fit vanilla minecraft's feel better

Dragons. Witches. Enchantment system. Potions. Portals. Endermen.

You were saying something about magic?

On the other hand, Minecraft was in a magical, RPG-ish world ever since the initial concept, it's just that the features weren't added then.
Pages: 1 ... 1208 1209 [1210] 1211 1212 ... 1380