Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So my map doesn't have any water  (Read 906 times)

That Zero Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So my map doesn't have any water
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:28:27 pm »

And half of my dorfs are bedridden right now. A few of them are legendary, the rest are just military dorfs

Oh god what do i do now? if they die/go insane my fort is gonna have some fun, i guess.

also if a map has bauxite does that mead theres magma somewhere so the bauxite would actually be useful? i dont really know.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: So my map doesn't have any water
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:39:14 pm »

If they have arm injuries, you can deconstruct all beds and they'll be able to get up and drink water. If they have leg injuries, they're mostly screwed. Do you have murky pools at all anywhere that you can drain into underground cisterns?

And no, just because you have bauxite doesn't mean you get magma.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 11:43:51 pm »

there are three sources of water (well, technicaly 4). the brook/river, the pol, and the underground cave feature. sometimes the ocean, but thats salty.

some of the best maps i have had, have used cave rivers as my only water source. of course you have to find them first, and they tend to be full of snakemen.

That Zero Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 11:45:42 pm »

No, see, there is no water in my map. None. The only time I get any water is if it rains.

Until I stumble on a hidden source of water, yeah, I'm screwed for the time being. Time for some hardcore diggan, I guess.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 11:49:49 pm »

So, does that mean you have a bunch of dry murky pools? Dig underground cisterns beneath them so that when it rains, the run off in the murky pool will flow into those cisterns.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

That Zero Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 12:33:23 am »

Hm, now to pray for rain.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 02:15:15 am »

So, does that mean you have a bunch of dry murky pools? Dig underground cisterns beneath them so that when it rains, the run off in the murky pool will flow into those cisterns.

To be clearer - any tiles that are marked as murky pools will accumulate water when it rains. If you expand the pool, the expanded tiles will not accumulate water but will take runoff from the murky pool tiles. This is bad on a warm map because it causes the water to be shallower and to evaporate faster.

However, if you dig a channel in a neighboring tile (or a few channels so water doesn't need to flow more than a few tiles) and connect those in an underground room, the water will run off from the murky pool tiles into the underground room where it won't evaporate it if gets to 2/7 or higher. Your best bet is to make the cistern rooms small but connected by floodgates. When filling them, keep them isolated until you know that they contain enough water that you won't have any 1/7 tiles when you let the water flow into a neighboring cistern room.

By carefully monitoring the water accumulation (and hopefully it accumulates faster than your wounded dwarves consumes it) you can steadily build up a large sustainable supply. I'll warn you, in my experience a single wounded dwarf needs at least a half dozen murky pool tiles to meet water needs on most maps. If you have a large number of wounded dwarves, do the math on how many tiles you have and consider locking up some of the wounded dwarves that you can live without in order to save the others. I'd also consider putting a food and booze stockpile in each dwarf's room (that's why dwarves should have decent sized rooms) and locking them up when they retire there to minimize the impact of the inevitable tantrum spiral.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 03:33:58 am »

One tile channeled out on the side of a dry pool w/ a shaft leading down, or more than one if the pool is large enough, should get you a good run-off from the pools as they (try to) collect water once the rain starts.

The trick is not to make the UG collection area so big that it will be 1/7 and evaporate itself.  Bottom line - don't get greedy.  Watch the rainfall for a year, figure out what you can tap profitably.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 03:52:43 am »

I tend to build 3x3 cisterns, but really deep ones. This ensures that i can get lots of water and not have to worry about it evaporating due to not filling them up completely.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 05:55:26 am »

My first map had plenty of pools and a stream.  Unfortunately, the pools dried up, and the stream was FULL of carp.  Seeing a dwarf pulled under and their blood flowing down the river is quite pretty.  Also, my dwarves had a propensity to INJURING THEMSELVES POINTLESSLY during sparring.  Well, this was my first fortress.

My new one is built on the banks of a brook (with emergency flooding device installed, of course) with loads of brooks, and a well leading straight into a brook.  Much easier.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 06:20:38 am »

I like 3X3 and VERY DEEP

How far down under a well can the water be, before an attempt to drink from it fails?

Part of me is now tempted to wall floors over my existing river and put wells every few squares, then let the unexplained mist at the end of my river make people happy.

With my luck they'd fall in where the mist is.  It's solid wet rock one level down from there, and solid dry rock two levels down.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 04:01:32 pm »

How far down under a well can the water be, before an attempt to drink from it fails?

The water can be any distance, but the water must be at least 3/7 to use.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 05:39:00 pm »

Fill the murky pools with magma and make a bunch of bauxite buckets.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 07:58:49 pm »

I think I'll recremend a well.  I don't know for sure, but I think a bucketfull (well or otherwise) breaks up a water tile into ten parts, and they deffenetly drink the entire stack if out of a pool.