Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Has this changed?  (Read 1827 times)

TowerWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has this changed?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 05:17:42 pm »

Dakk: You don't understand my point at all. Yes, poor miners dig slower. But they make the stones go away! I want my good miners to also make the stones go away!

------->  If poor miners can, why can't good miners? <---------

This is my entire point.

To make it realistic, bad miners should produce useless rock pieces and good miners produce useful rock pieces.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 05:26:14 pm »

Right now unexperienced miners make stones go away for the sake of gameplay. To make it close to the real thing unexperienced miners should produce useless pieces of stone when the'yre not producing useful ones. I think the idea's been dropped for now because it woudn't add anything to the game and would probably slow gameplay by a hefty bit. Toady is busy taking care of the major stuff first, so the game will feel rough around the edges for a while.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 10:31:03 pm »

Although a good workshop job would be to turn small rocks into gravel at the mason's and, if it isn't put in, make some sort of way to extract tar from the proper sources. Real-ish roads that would hopefully have a high value.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 03:42:56 am »

You can area select objects to be dumped/forbidden/reclaimed/hidden now(d->b->d).

Very useful.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

TowerWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 08:54:27 am »

I think I have made my point, so I retire from this thread. Thanks for all the replies, though!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 08:58:54 am »

Although a good workshop job would be to turn small rocks into gravel at the mason's and, if it isn't put in, make some sort of way to extract tar from the proper sources. Real-ish roads that would hopefully have a high value.
the noble urist mctyrannt has mandated the construction of an asphalt road.

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 11:28:36 am »

This is my entire point.

To make it realistic, bad miners should produce useless rock pieces and good miners produce useful rock pieces.
I'd agree with you if you said "less useful" instead of "useless".
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 03:23:40 am »

4: Mass-hide is a wonderful thing.

Do the stockpiles work as stockpiles when hidden stones are blocking its squares?
Finis sanctificat media.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 01:42:05 am »

Oh, well. Seems like I have to wait some more until it is worth to spend time playing this game. It is good, but it need some streamlining. I mean, clothes is all welll and good, but who cares about ordering dwarves to produce wool socks? That level of detail is beyond me at this point :)

This sparked two thoughts in me:
1: This game has been worth playing for several years now!! End of discussion ;)
2: At this point, clothesmaking-industry is rather exhausting on your fortress, so with the currect version it is better to just let dwarves clothes rot. They will eventually get naked, but not have a bad thought from being naked. They will however get minor bad thoughts from losing clothes. (please correct me on this if need be, because my fortresses are usually nudist-colonies because I don't care enough about my clothes-industry)
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 01:50:00 am »

Just turn the rocks into crafts and trade them for cloth from the elfs and then make clothes so your dwarfs don't need to be naked.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.
Pages: 1 [2]