Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wolfram Alpha Launches Tonight at 7:00 CST  (Read 4033 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wolfram Alpha Launches Tonight at 7:00 CST
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 12:27:56 am »

Furthermore: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=What+is+the+meaning+of+life%3F

It fails to answer your question.  It instead gives the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything.  It answers not only the wrong question, but an unknown one at that.  I would've been more impressed if it'd answered "Every rose has its thorn."  :P

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 12:30:51 am »

Furthermore: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=What+is+the+meaning+of+life%3F

It fails to answer your question.  It instead gives the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything.  It answers not only the wrong question, but an unknown one at that.  I would've been more impressed if it'd answered "Every rose has its thorn."  :P

http://www.google.com/search?q=Answer+to+the+Ultimate+Question+of+Life%2C+the+Universe%2C+and+Everything+&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_en___IL251

Google actually gives you the correct answer.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 01:19:29 am »

It's interesting, if rough around the edges. Since Wolfram is the company behind Mathematica, it's easy to see why this search engine would impress people with mathematical experience and would confound people without it.

But it is very rough. For example, I typed in 'ei*pi + 1', and it returned the correct answer. Then I tried 'the integral of ex^2', and it returned the correct result. I then tried 'Stoke's Theorem', and it returned nothing. Furthermore, I typed in 'flux', and by flux I mean the dot product of a vector field and the area vector of a surface, not metallurgical flux. And it returned nothing. And then I typed in 'flux capacitor' for the fun of it.

It's very rough, pretty slow, and not entirely helpful always. But it has potential. As soon as it works incredibly quickly and has Google's ability to psychically know exactly what you're looking for, it will be a useful resource.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 02:22:00 pm »

It's getting there. The reason for the slowness is probably the number of people online doing what you're doing; experimenting with it.

They're still putting the finishing touches on it as it is, and in a few months, it'll probably be much more capable.
!!&!!

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 02:37:36 pm »

Wolfram is the Earth Computer.  Its answers are stale and without explanation.

What is the meaning of life?  42.

When I ask a question, I usually am looking for a detailed explanation, not a factoid.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 08:51:12 am »

It doesn't know the unladen airspeed velocity of a sparrow either.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 09:13:10 am »

Now we'll never know how Arthur got those coconuts.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 09:50:10 am »

It doesn't know the unladen airspeed velocity of a sparrow either.

I does however know the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow, but only after you tell it whether you meant African or European swallow.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 10:33:00 am »

Ask Wolfram what does it say about his power level.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:55:10 pm by Okenido »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 07:42:55 pm »

Necroing just so I can say.

The stupid thing is wrong. I enjoy looking up my birthdate, to see who shares it - but the "Meaning of life, the universe and everything = 42"

Not the fucking Question. The answer. The entire novel series is them trying to find out the question.

EDIT: And can google do THIS? http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=How+are+you+today%3F
Though I admit, alice is better.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 07:49:06 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 07:55:11 pm »

Can google do this? Are you skynet?
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:48:29 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 08:43:42 pm »

Aside from the fact that it's fairly poor right now (It needs to be cached more, remember google has been collecting data since the internet) I'm sort of unsure about how I'm supposed to use this in a practical situation- aside from asking it questions to make it say internet memes. I see that it's STOCKED with answers, but to truly be an answer engine, it ought to be able to generate an answer to "how tall was abe lincoln" just by reading pages, not from its own database.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 [2] 3