Genetic Additions
- 98 (37.8%)
Mess Hall
- 50 (19.3%)
Revamped Area
- 44 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 950

Author Topic: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*  (Read 804587 times)

Giant Snowman

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a Giant Snowman adventure.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13 *READ RULES ON FIRST POST*
« Reply #2580 on: July 13, 2009, 11:11:34 am »

Aargh, stop posting! Everytime I press post there's 3 new posts!

When I opened that space tile, I clicked on it weirdly and it made a movie out of it of stars shooting by as if viewed from a moving starship. Is it really that easy to turn the space station into a starship?

And you don't need weird quark phasing to move an object through walls, you just levitate something on the other side of the wall and then use it to beat someone in the same room with that object. Just remember to put it back afterwards to stay IC, since the interface needs to display to object as in your hand while you do this.

It's not much fun in gameplay terms though, at the very least you should be able to tell how you are being attacked. Having a chance to scream for help or run away is better. Ideally you'd only be able to use telekinesis with line of sight even if you have IR goggles or X-ray vision.

Qwertyuiopas, do you think it's possible to find/replace the ("If player is close OR has telekenesis) rule with ("If player is close OR (has telekenesis AND is in normal LOS))?

I'd like to see what insurance company gives insurance to that shit. SURELY they send inspectors!
They were bribed of course, or part of an insurance scam by the insurance company.
Benzene on steam.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: July 13, 2009, 11:49:00 am »

It makes a lot more sense if you blame it on Neo-Russia.

There's no Neo-Russia in the timeline?  I don't care.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: July 13, 2009, 11:51:02 am »

can't we be different for once?

have the russians as the good guys, and the Americans as bad.

the other way is too cliche.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: July 13, 2009, 11:55:57 am »

Well, that's true.  I do actually love Russian protagonists in the few times they exist (usually, when they exist, they are handing Germany its ass in World War 2).

Ooh.  Now I want Cosmo Station 13.

I think that's the new name of my (never-to-be-completed) Modular Station.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2584 on: July 13, 2009, 12:55:29 pm »

Inspirations from a total remake, part one:

Datums. Quite useful.
But I found a use for them that would have worked perfectly in SS13.
Gasses.
Rather than defining the ammount of each gas and associated variables for each object type, I have decided to use a datum for all of them. That way, adding a new gas type is EASY, and all containers and turfs are automatically compatible with it!
It also means I can write procs that do not care about the type of object and operate only on the gases contained within. Connecting to a pipe is thus possible for anything, so a pipe can freely exchange gasses with a turf bi-directionally if I wanted it to.

At least that is the theory, as I only have one turf(space), one verb(ooc), a minimal world def(default turf as space), and an empty gases datum. And the space graphic, the only thing even remotely complete.
Eh?
Eh!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: July 13, 2009, 01:05:05 pm »

Right. Since I have finished reading my book, I now have some free time to do one of two things.

1: Design a map (Not actually map it, just design a proper station.)

2: Come up with a convincing timeline. Ironically, the book I read will help me with that.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Floirt

• Bay Watcher
  • OMIGODJCABOMB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: July 13, 2009, 01:11:06 pm »

Well, good luck on a complete remake. This is completely beyond my reach.

I suppose I could help you filling up your atoms file with objects and icon-making, however. Maybe some verbs, and mapping. BYOND is just too messy for me to create anything from scratch, beyond (no pun intended) "If" statements, variables, functions, etc, ie individual parts. I have no idea how the thing holds together. I suspect the datums and setup.dm is for something in it, but I don't have the patience for that.

Also, I'll start putting your stuff in this night.

Ninja-edit for Yanlin: DESIGN A MAP DESIGN A MAP DESIGN A MAP
Quote from: HellMOO
Fat Ratzo [to Floirt]: I got a package here goin' to Roy Poorman, out in the afterworld.  $120 when you make the delivery.  And hurry!
No, not commiting suicide, sorry.   ...Through that money is rather tempting...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: July 13, 2009, 01:15:22 pm »

I need more votes.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2588 on: July 13, 2009, 01:17:54 pm »

Well, I don't really understand how the old one works either, but by creating even a faint shadow of it's original functionality myself, I should be able to understand it better.
For example, now I know that visibility, movement, and collision detection are at least mostly handled engine-side, and that most data types(most notably turf, mob, and stuff) derive from atom, and that itself derives from datum, the most base type.

New-post-before-post edit:
Do both!
A new map is more important than a timeline, but if you can, both would be nice.
Eh?
Eh!

MarineElite

• Bay Watcher
  • The End is Nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: July 13, 2009, 01:18:03 pm »

Still banned on my main account... Why am I perma-banned while others do worse than me and are caught and not banned?
Also to those it may concern How to bybass Troubles with your IP on Byond

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: July 13, 2009, 01:30:09 pm »

Marine, I don't have details so I don't know why people consider you a more severe and persistent problem but they do--and I suspect they have their reasons.  Complaining won't help anything.  Boy I sure would like it if ban-related whining moved to PMs.

Giant Snowman

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a Giant Snowman adventure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: July 13, 2009, 01:43:17 pm »

When you say timeline, you mean backstory don't you? Can't we generate one for the station and each crewmember at random every round?
Benzene on steam.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: July 13, 2009, 01:58:34 pm »

Semi-official SS13 history.  As written by Exadv1.  It's pretty old and I think he said he was going to revise it at some point, but it never happened so far as I know.  It has a bunch of holes and definitely needs work.  Provides a base of what's happened though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: July 13, 2009, 02:00:10 pm »

When you say timeline, you mean backstory don't you? Can't we generate one for the station and each crewmember at random every round?

I like that idea, that sounds fun-

Welcome to Bay Station 12! It was built by
*SUPER MONKEYS
In the year
*6000 AD
After years of training, you have been finally picked to serve on the newest, most advance space station in orbit.

*Stuff that is randomized from a list at the beginning of each round.
...Ok, so that sucked, but I'm not in a creative writing mood right now, but you get the idea. Hopefully.

Also. Server will be up after a few rounds of Team Fortress. It's too laggy for me to play when the server is up.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: July 13, 2009, 02:08:40 pm »

Hmmm.  I wonder what it would do to roleplay, if you actually did randomize backstory--and had randomized interpersonal relationships.  Possibly with mini-goals.  You wouldn't want "kill this person" type goals, or the game turns into Assassins (WHICH MIGHT NOT BE A BAD THING BUT NOT RIGHT NOW OKAY) but maybe stuff like "Bob is your buddy, make sure he escapes alive".

Would be cool if everyone got a point score at the end of the round, something like 5 for surviving, 10 for escaping, +5 for non-traitors if they stop the traitor, +10 for traitors if they win, and +2 for each personal goal you accomplish?  Track points in the same place you track job preferences, if those are indeed stored server-side.

Would it help or hinder RP to give people pre-generated grudges, I wonder?  They'd be two-way, and randomized, so person A gets "Person B has always been a jerk to you and has hindered promotion opportunities for you in the past" and person B gets "Person A seemed to have stolen your loved one back in high school".  You don't always know how serious the other guy's end of the grudge is either.  Everyone present at the start of the round gets relationships with a couple other people in their notes, along with a reminder "This is not an excuse to kill them!".  People joining mid-game would get someone, maybe another assistant, and have a new thing tacked onto both their notes as well as a message "You remember something about the guy who just came onto the station".

Also. Server will be up after a few rounds of Team Fortress. It's too laggy for me to play when the server is up.

Priorities:  You haz them, and they rule.  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 950